To those who buy vintage bals, how do you clean the lining before usage?

CSG

Mar 11, 2015

I already reserved my vintage balenciaga first in black chevre. It is also my first balenciaga bag! I am so excited! Thanks to the authentication thread for the help. :smile: now, my next question is how to clean the interior lining of the bag diy? There are no stains and smell but I am not comfortable using the bag without doing any cleaning. If there is any thread on this already, kindly put the link. Many thanks to all!:smile:

I guess you can even wash it gently in the sink, if it's sticky

Thanks for the response. It is not sticky. Actually it is fine. I just want to do some cleaning before I use it since it is vintage.

I also consider bringing it to a bag spa for a cleaning but afraid that they may damage the bag.

Thanks for the response. It is not sticky. Actually it is fine. I just want to do some cleaning before I use it since it is vintage.
I also consider bringing it to a bag spa for a cleaning but afraid that they may damage the bag.
In the maintenance and care sub-forum there threads and recommendations on this subject, good spa and bad spa, lots of DIY ideas, it's worth checking ;)

Reactions: CSG

I already reserved my vintage balenciaga first in black chevre. It is also my first balenciaga bag! I am so excited! Thanks to the authentication thread for the help. :smile: now, my next question is how to clean the interior lining of the bag diy? There are no stains and smell but I am not comfortable using the bag without doing any cleaning. If there is any thread on this already, kindly put the link. Many thanks to all!:smile:

Unless there's a visible need to clean, or a smell, I leave them alone. Just air them out for a bit. If there's a smell I put a box of baking soda in the bag and zip it closed. I leave it for a couple of days and then air it again. (I use the Arm and Hammer baking soda box that is designed to use in the refrigerator. It has airflow sides and doesn't spill).

Did anyone ever try using neem spray on the fabric? Lots of stores into organic and natural sell neem spray, below is just an example:
http://www.hessnatur.com/de/neem-sp..._pageSize=12&ff_origPageSize=12&ff_simi=97.34

I've recently bought a "new to me" Balenciaga make-up bag and I have a Classic City from 2005 on the way and I'm thinking of using neem spray on the fabric in these bags. We use organic mattresses etc where it's recommended to spray with neem every year/other year. It's highly effective against mites etc. Neem is a natural oil and makes mites and other critters go away and keeps them out. I've never had the kind of neem spray we use stain anything so I don't think it will be a problem with interior bag linings mad from cotton for ex.

Did anyone ever try using neem spray on the fabric? Lots of stores into organic and natural sell neem spray, below is just an example:
http://www.hessnatur.com/de/neem-spruehflasche/p/3129900?ff_id=31299&ff_title=Neem-Sprühflasche&ff_query=neem&ff_pos=1&ff_origPos=1&ff_page=1&ff_pageSize=12&ff_origPageSize=12&ff_simi=97.34

I've recently bought a "new to me" Balenciaga make-up bag and I have a Classic City from 2005 on the way and I'm thinking of using neem spray on the fabric in these bags. We use organic mattresses etc where it's recommended to spray with neem every year/other year. It's highly effective against mites etc. Neem is a natural oil and makes mites and other critters go away and keeps them out. I've never had the kind of neem spray we use stain anything so I don't think it will be a problem with interior bag linings mad from cotton for ex.

I'd be concerned on two fronts...as an oil-based product it could seep through and stain the leather. Also, it may add a smell to the bag which could make reselling down the line difficult.
Some Bal bags have linings that aren't attached at the base. With those bags you can actually pull the lining out of the bag and very carefully clean it, I just use soap and water. With the attached ones, I use a damp slightly soapy cloth to gently wipe them out. With a lot of my bags I do nothing at all, I've been fortunate to have the majority of my pre-loved bags come to me with clean interiors!

I'd be concerned on two fronts...as an oil-based product it could seep through and stain the leather. Also, it may add a smell to the bag which could make reselling down the line difficult.
Some Bal bags have linings that aren't attached at the base. With those bags you can actually pull the lining out of the bag and very carefully clean it, I just use soap and water. With the attached ones, I use a damp slightly soapy cloth to gently wipe them out. With a lot of my bags I do nothing at all, I've been fortunate to have the majority of my pre-loved bags come to me with clean interiors!

Yes, I can see the concern, thank you muchstuff. I'm not suggesting that others do this without caution but I was wondering if anyone has had experience using neem or something like it.

I will try this on the interior of my new to me make-up clutch to start with. The neem spray we use is a super fine mist and the smell lasts only for a couple of days. We have used it on everything in our beds except pillows, blankets etc (that can be machine washed) and it's never stained anything. Not a trace. Our mattresses are organic and as these were a substantial investment in our family's health, we try to be very careful with them.

When it comes to mites, germs etc maybe it's a case of being happier not knowing too much about them. Once you learn, it can never be unlearned :shocked: I remember when I found out what happens to the content of a pillow used for sleeping if you don't wash it regularly in 60 C. I now wash my pillows on a regular basis. Extra work when you have a family but I can not unlearn this.

I don't want to make others feel bad about this but I think there are similar studies on hand bags so... neem'd it'll be! I'll take before and after pics and post them here. I checked the lining of the clutch and it's not attached to the base which will make "neeming" it easier.

Last edited:
Some before, during and after pictures of my neem spray experiment. My idea was to use neem spray on the lining of my pre-owned Bal make-up clutch. Neem is highly effective against mites and other bad stuff. The lining looked perfectly clean and had no smell before the treatment but it just felt better using some neem. (I use essential oils a lot for many other things anyway- fantastic stuff imo).. I sprayed (or misted is a better term since the spray is very very fine) it in the morning and let it sit until the afternoon, just to be sure there was no residue from the spray that could get on the leather.

Before:
P1160658.JPG

During:
All leather parts covered in protective paper tissues and plastic plus the spray I used.
P1160661.JPG

Just sprayed/misted.You don't need a lot. Just a fine mist, no drenching the fabric.
P1160663.JPG

After:
First look
P1160665.JPG

And outside in the afternoon sun it looked just like its usual beautiful self. No smell of the neem spray.
P1160668.JPG
P1160669.JPG

So yes, I will definitely use this method again. But as always, if anyone wants to try this, protect the leather!

Reactions: shesnochill
Some before, during and after pictures of my neem spray experiment. My idea was to use neem spray on the lining of my pre-owned Bal make-up clutch. Neem is highly effective against mites and other bad stuff. The lining looked perfectly clean and had no smell before the treatment but it just felt better using some neem. (I use essential oils a lot for many other things anyway- fantastic stuff imo).. I sprayed (or misted is a better term since the spray is very very fine) it in the morning and let it sit until the afternoon, just to be sure there was no residue from the spray that could get on the leather.

Before:
View attachment 3611450

During:
All leather parts covered in protective paper tissues and plastic plus the spray I used.
View attachment 3611451

Just sprayed/misted.You don't need a lot. Just a fine mist, no drenching the fabric.
View attachment 3611454
After:
First look
View attachment 3611455

And outside in the afternoon sun it looked just like its usual beautiful self. No smell of the neem spray.
View attachment 3611458
View attachment 3611460

So yes, I will definitely use this method again. But as always, if anyone wants to try this, protect the leather!

I use essential oils as well and have for many years, but have never considered this. With bags that have attached linings you could reverse the entire bag and use your neem spray (I do this just to air new to me bags out). But the one thing I would mention again...if you intend on reselling a bag there are many buyers who are scrupulous about bags and will ask if anything has been used/applied. Of course if you don't intend to resell it's not an issue. Thanks for the info!

Right now reselling this bag seems unthinkable, but that could change of course. Anyway, it's documented for internet eternity here on TPF so no going back now :smile:
And about this particular neem spray I use, you have to reapply once every or every other year so it's not a permanent application.

muchstuff or anyone else who'd like to chime in, what do you recommend for conditioning and stain protecting Balenciaga chévre leather? I've looked at Apple Brand and Michael Kors, but both seem hard to find here in Europe. I could order either one from Amazon but it's just hard to know which is best. To me the Apple Brand conditioner sounds more gentle for cleaning/conditioning leather but for stains the Michael kors product seems best. Could you you use both, Apple Brand for cleaning/conditioning and Michael Kors for stain protection?