First Balenciaga Reveal Need Your Opinions Please

Oct 8, 2013
Thank you fellow TPFrs for all of your help in deciding whether or not to buy a Balenciaga which I've admired for a long time. I'm starting small on the preloved market and received the bag yesterday. It's a 2006 Classic First Bag from the Real Real. I love the size and style and crazy about the Carmel color. I'm always carrying large bags so I love the size and it seems to fit a lot.

I'm worried about the dry papery feeling of the leather and since I'm a newbie I don't know if this is normal for a Bal or is this something that I should treat with a moisturizer. If so, what do you recommend? I'm afraid that the leather is too dry and can tear, but again I know nothing about this type of leather. It has a nice shine to the leather in some areas but not the entire bag. Sadly that wasn't evident until I received the bag, the pictures on the Real Real website did look better than in real life but I guess that's to be expected.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

Attachments

• IMG_1484750680.702849.jpg
    IMG_1484750680.702849.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_1484750695.983011.jpg
    IMG_1484750695.983011.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1484750711.368878.jpg
    IMG_1484750711.368878.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_1484750727.850833.jpg
    IMG_1484750727.850833.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: Dmurphy1
Sorry I don't know enough about B leather to advice you but just want to say you made a great choice for your first bag. Beautiful neutral. I don't treat any of my bags at all (maybe I should?). I only have one preloved Bbag that felt a little on the dry side but I haven't done anything about it. I hope the more experienced Bal ladies can help you. Enjoy your new bag.

Sorry I don't know enough about B leather to advice you but just want to say you made a great choice for your first bag. Beautiful neutral. I don't treat any of my bags at all (maybe I should?). I only have one preloved Bbag that felt a little on the dry side but I haven't done anything about it. I hope the more experienced Bal ladies can help you. Enjoy your new bag.

Thank you so much Lamminda, I'm really happy with it. I'm amazed at how much it holds and it's so light which is a nice change from my Rogue. I did read that the leather was better in the early bags so maybe this dry papery feeling is normal but since most of my only experience with leather is with LV and Coach I'm not certain.

Well, colour is great and for your ref in 2006 Bal was using chevre (goatskin) which feels completely opposite, soft, silky and lightweight, so, guess you gust feel the contrast between this and thick, sturdy leather of Coach and even more bulletproof LV canvas.
As long as authenticity is not a question i tend to say it's absolutely fine, and the fact that this bag is 10 years old and has held up pretty well i think you nothing to worry about ;)

Congrats, it's a beauty !! I moisturize with leather honey and it works great but only on black or darker colored bags. So much controversial advice on bal moisturizing treatments. Enjoy your new bag !!! :yahoo:

Well, colour is great and for your ref in 2006 Bal was using chevre (goatskin) which feels completely opposite, soft, silky and lightweight, so, guess you gust feel the contrast between this and thick, sturdy leather of Coach and even more bulletproof LV canvas.
As long as authenticity is not a question i tend to say it's absolutely fine, and the fact that this bag is 10 years old and has held up pretty well i think you nothing to worry about ;)

Ksuromax, thank you so much! I have absolutely no point of reference for what this bag should feel like, your input is so greatly appreciated. I love the bag but was so afraid that the leather would split or tear because of the feel. Thank you!

Congrats, it's a beauty !! I moisturize with leather honey and it works great but only on black or darker colored bags. So much controversial advice on bal moisturizing treatments. Enjoy your new bag !!! :yahoo:

Dmurphy1, thank you for your reply. I have been reading up on all of the care posts for moisturizing the Bals and many seem to use the leather honey but as you say not on a light color bag. Now that thankfully Ksuromax has enlightened me as to how this bag is supposed to feel I'm feeling much better about leaving it be. It's quite clean and in very good shape for a bag from 2006. Thank you all so much for your help, I'm looking so forward to carrying her.

Reactions: Dmurphy1
Thank you fellow TPFrs for all of your help in deciding whether or not to buy a Balenciaga which I've admired for a long time. I'm starting small on the preloved market and received the bag yesterday. It's a 2006 Classic First Bag from the Real Real. I love the size and style and crazy about the Carmel color. I'm always carrying large bags so I love the size and it seems to fit a lot.

I'm worried about the dry papery feeling of the leather and since I'm a newbie I don't know if this is normal for a Bal or is this something that I should treat with a moisturizer. If so, what do you recommend? I'm afraid that the leather is too dry and can tear, but again I know nothing about this type of leather. It has a nice shine to the leather in some areas but not the entire bag. Sadly that wasn't evident until I received the bag, the pictures on the Real Real website did look better than in real life but I guess that's to be expected.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

Sadly TRR has a long way to go in regards to the photos they post. There are sites that post excellent photos so there's no reason for them not to do a better job IMHO.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with using a good quality cleanser/moisturizer on Bal bags although I know some people prefer to never treat them. They are skin after all and skin can benefit from maintenance.

Sadly TRR has a long way to go in regards to the photos they post. There are sites that post excellent photos so there's no reason for them not to do a better job IMHO.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with using a good quality cleanser/moisturizer on Bal bags although I know some people prefer to never treat them. They are skin after all and skin can benefit from maintenance.

Thank you for your reply and I totally agree Muchstuff, I was initially a little disappointed when I opened the box but I still loved the bag. They need better pictures and need to post pictures of areas that help in authenticating as well.
I was just so afraid that the leather would tear from the feel of it because it was my first Bal and I had nothing to compare it to.

Thank you for your reply and I totally agree Muchstuff, I was initially a little disappointed when I opened the box but I still loved the bag. They need better pictures and need to post pictures of areas that help in authenticating as well.
I was just so afraid that the leather would tear from the feel of it because it was my first Bal and I had nothing to compare it to.
Bal leather is pretty sturdy...please do feel free to post the correct pics for authentication if you like, see the links below for what's needed and where to post.

That thin, silky but durable leather was Bal's signature and what made Bal stand out from tons of others, what draw all her fans and what makes collectors search for earlier years bags (2004-2007)

Congrats on the bag! She looks gorgeous! I'd put leather honey on it to rehydrate. My 05 caramel was in a similar state when I got it, and leather honey really helped. Don't worry about it darkening as the bag will lighten back to the original color shortly.

Bal leather is pretty sturdy...please do feel free to post the correct pics for authentication if you like, see the links below for what's needed and where to post.
Thank you Muchstuff that is a great idea. I have always been happy with my TRR purchases, mostly Burberry and some LV that I know but since I am such a newbie to Bal it really is a great idea to have all the wonderful authenticators take a look at her. I'm going to take some pics today and now that I'm falling in love, fingers crossed she's real. There is no return policy at The Real Real on handbags is a little off putting. I'm so thankful to all of the wonderful TPFrs for all your kind knowledgable replies.

Reactions: muchstuff
That thin, silky but durable leather was Bal's signature and what made Bal stand out from tons of others, what draw all her fans and what makes collectors search for earlier years bags (2004-2007)
Thank you Ksuromax for your reply. It is because of all of the kind and knowledgeable replies from all of you that I'm not a wreck right now over this thin papery leather. I'm a total newbie about this brand and the leather used through the years. What really got me nervous about the condition of the leather was when I first took the bag out of the box and opened the bag by holding the tassels one ripped off in my hands like it was made of tissue paper. The tassels are really dry and fragile so I feared that the bag was as well.

Congrats on the bag! She looks gorgeous! I'd put leather honey on it to rehydrate. My 05 caramel was in a similar state when I got it, and leather honey really helped. Don't worry about it darkening as the bag will lighten back to the original color shortly.
Thank you Squidgee for your reply, as I said I am so grateful to all of my fellow TPFrs for all of your kind and knowledgeable posts. I have read and reread all the posts on rehydration and it seems that ironically everyone seems to not like the moisturizer that Bal makes which should have been the best one. It seems that Leather Honey and Apple Guarde seems to be the favorites. Thank you so much for your post and sharing your experience with your 05 Caramel Bal. I love the color and it's great to know that it won't darken if I use the leather honey.