Rhinoplasty Rejection

jacobjarred30

Nov 19, 2016
I wanted to know is anyone that has a nasal implant or plans on getting one nervous about the possibility of the body rejecting the foreign material. Also, the chance of someone getting an infection in that area?

rejection is very very rare, more a allergic reaction as your body can not reject an artificial material (you only reject donor tissue). Infection is a risk, a small one, but a true one. So hygiene is an important factor when selecting your clinic

Reactions: jacobjarred30
your body can most definitely reject artificial material AND donor tissue as well. It's pretty rare as long as you find a trustworthy, hygienic hospital/clinic. if your worried about using an implant, the better way would be to either use rib or use your own autologous graft + diced cartilage. again, i dont think you should worry too much tho

your body can most definitely reject artificial material AND donor tissue as well. It's pretty rare as long as you find a trustworthy, hygienic hospital/clinic. if your worried about using an implant, the better way would be to either use rib or use your own autologous graft + diced cartilage. again, i don't think you should worry too much tho

You certainly make a point, but just to be clear don't think you can call it rejection. I think the medical term for rejection is reserved for allo-grafts (a tissue graft from a donor of the same species as the recipient but not genetically identical). The silicon they use for nose jobs, very very very very few people will ever have an averse reaction to the material itself. As for infection, that's the real issue.

My dear, final words will be: you cannot avoid "rejection," as it is determined by your genes. You can only lower your risk of getting an infection by choosing a reputable clinic that has good sterile techniques.

Reactions: jollyolly1
your body can most definitely reject artificial material AND donor tissue as well. It's pretty rare as long as you find a trustworthy, hygienic hospital/clinic. if your worried about using an implant, the better way would be to either use rib or use your own autologous graft + diced cartilage. again, i dont think you should worry too much tho
I am ready to have rhinoplasty procedure as I have done much research. However I am debating between having a artifical implant or Autologous graft (Rib) for my primary rhinoplasty. I am looking for a dramatic result, but like I said, I just am unsure.

You certainly make a point, but just to be clear don't think you can call it rejection. I think the medical term for rejection is reserved for allo-grafts (a tissue graft from a donor of the same species as the recipient but not genetically identical). The silicon they use for nose jobs, very very very very few people will ever have an averse reaction to the material itself. As for infection, that's the real issue.

My dear, final words will be: you cannot avoid "rejection," as it is determined by your genes. You can only lower your risk of getting an infection by choosing a reputable clinic that has good sterile techniques.
I am ready to have rhinoplasty procedure as I have done much research. However I am debating between having a artifical implant or Autologous graft (Rib) for my primary rhinoplasty. I am looking for a dramatic result, but like I said, I just am unsure.

I really don't recommend autologous materials for rhino. The risk of absorption is quite high and it's difficult to shape rib for a perfect nose shape. It should be left to only the most skilled surgeons but since it's trendy, a lot of surgeons are doing it with questionable results. Silicone is superior if you want a dramatic result and can easily be revised. Also rib is painful af :/