Need Your Opinions Please

Oct 8, 2013
I love the Balenciaga bags and have been stalking this forum checking out all of your beautiful bags. I am older and try to dress as age appropriate as possible. For instance, I love the ripped jeans look but my DD would kill me if I wore them but I don't wear Mom Jeans either. What age do you think is too old to carry a Bal? I don't want to look like I just grabbed my daughters Bag out of the closet for an outing. As edgy as I have gotten so far is my Rebecca Minkoff Regan lol, is there hope for me? I carry conservative but beautiful bags now like LV Neverfull, Speedy, MK, Longchamp, Coach, and RM.

I really need your thoughts on this before I save up to buy my next bag. Thank you so much!

my mom is in her 70s and i recently gave her one of my old Bal firsts. she didn't want it initially, for fear of looking like a fool at her age, carrying a young bag. the compromise we reached was to take off the tassels. i think the tassels and sometimes the giant hardware on Bals can make the bag look a bit too young and edgy. so, if it's a concern, maybe pick silver/brass hw over gold and go with a basic color, maybe minus the tassels. there are many ways to enjoy Bal bags while 'looking your age,' because although we *can* technically carry a bag at any age, sometimes we do want to look age-appropriate and not feel foolish. Bal has no outside branding either, so that really does help keep the bags under the radar, and look at all their styles, maybe not just the city. the smaller crossbody bags (like hip, for example) look like any regular bag on the market, really. why not go shopping with your daughter for a Bal and get her opinions?

my mom is in her 70s and i recently gave her one of my old Bal firsts. she didn't want it initially, for fear of looking like a fool at her age, carrying a young bag. the compromise we reached was to take off the tassels. i think the tassels and sometimes the giant hardware on Bals can make the bag look a bit too young and edgy. so, if it's a concern, maybe pick silver/brass hw over gold and go with a basic color, maybe minus the tassels. there are many ways to enjoy Bal bags while 'looking your age,' because although we *can* technically carry a bag at any age, sometimes we do want to look age-appropriate and not feel foolish. Bal has no outside branding either, so that really does help keep the bags under the radar, and look at all their styles, maybe not just the city. the smaller crossbody bags (like hip, for example) look like any regular bag on the market, really. why not go shopping with your daughter for a Bal and get her opinions?

Thank you ccbaggirl189, I'm 60 so in same league as your Mom and it was the "edgy" factor that concerned me. I love your idea of taking it down a notch. Thank you for your time and thoughtful reply. They are such beautiful bags and I would love to be able to carry it without it looking inappropriate.

Hi. I believe you should carry whatever you want and not worry about what other people think. With that said, I totally get your concern because I am not exactly a spring chicken (lol). When I got my first B, I didnt carry it when I was late in doing my hair and my roots were showing. Now that I got a few and really love them, I decided that life is too short for me to not enjoy my bags. I also understand that Balenciaga is known for the moto look which is more often associated with young people (general perception, be it right or wrong). It's hard not to think of Nicole Richie and the Kardahsians carrying Bbags. But you will also find Julianne Moore, Julianna Marguiles and Lisa Rinna carrying them too -- granted they are celebs but they are still middle aged women! I think BBags have a simple beautiful classic look that anyone can carry. It's unfortunate that society "imposes" these restrictions as to who should wear what. Like no one would question if a mature woman carries an Alma. You mentioned you have a RM Regan which I think has a similar look with the tassel and braided handles--do you feel comfortable carrying it? I hope that if you truly love a Bbag, you should give one a try. Perhaps start with a more neutral color (black, grey, brown, navy blue) to ease into B. Hope this helps a little.

Hi. I believe you should carry whatever you want and not worry about what other people think. With that said, I totally get your concern because I am not exactly a spring chicken (lol). When I got my first B, I didnt carry it when I was late in doing my hair and my roots were showing. Now that I got a few and really love them, I decided that life is too short for me to not enjoy my bags. I also understand that Balenciaga is known for the moto look which is more often associated with young people (general perception, be it right or wrong). It's hard not to think of Nicole Richie and the Kardahsians carrying Bbags. But you will also find Julianne Moore, Julianna Marguiles and Lisa Rinna carrying them too -- granted they are celebs but they are still middle aged women! I think BBags have a simple beautiful classic look that anyone can carry. It's unfortunate that society "imposes" these restrictions as to who should wear what. Like no one would question if a mature woman carries an Alma. You mentioned you have a RM Regan which I think has a similar look with the tassel and braided handles--do you feel comfortable carrying it? I hope that if you truly love a Bbag, you should give one a try. Perhaps start with a more neutral color (black, grey, brown, navy blue) to ease into B. Hope this helps a little.

Lamminda, I agree exactly, life is too short! I just have fallen in love with the style and leather of the Balenciaga bags and I did get interested in them after I enjoyed carrying my RM Regan with those tassels and braided handles. That was my training bag for the real thing. Thank you so so much for your reply!

Reactions: Iamminda
Muchstuff, thank you all for your kind thoughtful replies. I am really excited about buying my first Balenciaga bag and I'm letting my tassels fly high and proud.......in a subdued neutral of course lol! :smile:
Yes totally agreed, go for it!!! I've seen ladies at their 50's or 60's ( not to mention alot of celebs) rock their Bals, so chic and stylish!!!!

Reactions: louisprada25
I love the Balenciaga bags and have been stalking this forum checking out all of your beautiful bags. I am older and try to dress as age appropriate as possible. For instance, I love the ripped jeans look but my DD would kill me if I wore them but I don't wear Mom Jeans either. What age do you think is too old to carry a Bal? I don't want to look like I just grabbed my daughters Bag out of the closet for an outing. As edgy as I have gotten so far is my Rebecca Minkoff Regan lol, is there hope for me? I carry conservative but beautiful bags now like LV Neverfull, Speedy, MK, Longchamp, Coach, and RM.

I really need your thoughts on this before I save up to buy my next bag. Thank you so much!
Please wear ripped jeans with a bal bag :yes:
So do I and as said before : I don't care what other people think . Often I don't like what they are wearing :biggrin: and do they care ??? :lol:

I'm 50 and plan to carry my Bal bags forever. What I love is that I can "dress my age" and then rock a beautiful, edgy, stylish bag that makes me feel great.

Muchstuff, thank you all for your kind thoughtful replies. I am really excited about buying my first Balenciaga bag and I'm letting my tassels fly high and proud.......in a subdued neutral of course lol! :smile:
That's the way to go!
Let the others follow you with jealous looks and feel proud to be yourself whatever age you are!