Help me choose my first Boy!!

Apr 22, 2012
This will be my first boy bag, so I want to choose wisely!

I have an option between 2 bags.
1) Black caviar with shiny light GHW. My only issue is the light GHW is a bit too shiny with the caviar on the Boy. Also I think it might look a little too young and edgy for me?
2) Black lamb with aged (or matte?) GHW. Love this combo and it's more gorgeous but I have 2 small children and I plan on wearing this bag pretty regularly. Not every day, but not only on special occasions either. Resale value is also somewhat important to me.

Left is the caviar, right is the lamb.
IMG_1484247511.744246.jpg

Caviar IMG_1484247530.500129.jpg

Lamb IMG_1484247584.773205.jpg

Help!!!!! [emoji53]

Last edited:
Both bags are really lovely. I need to ask a few questions-

How old are you?
Are you going to be wearing this bag daily?
If so I would go with caviar, if it's for special occasions/or once in a while then I would go for lamb skin.

My vote would be for the caviar. Lambskin is way too fragile for my liking.

I have a friend who owns a lambskin Boy and she said she regrets it every day. Someone actually spilled water on it at a dinner one time and she said it made a stain? YIKES!

I, on the other hand, own a goatskin Boy, and it is super durable, I wear it clubbing all the time and still looks brand new!

Both bags are really lovely. I need to ask a few questions-

How old are you?
Are you going to be wearing this bag daily?
If so I would go with caviar, if it's for special occasions/or once in a while then I would go for lamb skin.

Hi thanks! I'm 36. I don't plan on wearing daily as I rotate my bags pretty pretty frequently, BUT I don't want to use for special occasions only either. Special occasions I will use my classic flap.

My vote would be for the caviar. Lambskin is way too fragile for my liking.

I have a friend who owns a lambskin Boy and she said she regrets it every day. Someone actually spilled water on it at a dinner one time and she said it made a stain? YIKES!

I, on the other hand, own a goatskin Boy, and it is super durable, I wear it clubbing all the time and still looks brand new!

Wow she regrets it huh. Thats exactly what I want to avoid! Thanks for the intel.

This will be my first boy bag, so I want to choose wisely!

I have an option between 2 bags.
1) Black caviar with shiny light GHW. My only issue is the light GHW is a bit too shiny with the caviar on the Boy. Also I think it might look a little too young and edgy for me?
2) Black lamb with aged (or matte?) GHW. Love this combo and it's more gorgeous but I have 2 small children and I plan on wearing this bag pretty regularly. Not every day, but not only on special occasions either. Resale value is also somewhat important to me.

Left is the caviar, right is the lamb.
View attachment 3572499

Caviar View attachment 3572500

Lamb View attachment 3572501

Help!!!!! [emoji53]

Truthfully, I would say no to both! I would hold out for a calfskin boy bag and here is why.....
Just my opinion, but I don't like the look of the caviar leather on the boy bag (caviar lovers, don't hate me...I know many of you disagree:smile:. I just think that there is something about the style of the bag that looks better in the softer leather. While I love the lamb and have one lamb boy (and it's not quite as delicate as people say), the calfskin is still the best choice in my opinion because you get the best of both worlds: "some" of the softness of the lamb with "some" of the durability of the caviar. And the look is stunning! My favorite hardware choice is the shiny silver, but you really can't go wrong with any hardware. I own 5 boy bags and 4/5 of them are calfskin:smile: Just my two cents:smile:

I would wait. If you want an everyday bag I would avoid the lambskin (although I don't find lambskin overly delicate) and I am not a fan of the lghw on the boy. For some reason, I love the lghw on other bags, but on the boy it just seems too shiny and too much on the CC clasp.

I would wait. If you want an everyday bag I would avoid the lambskin (although I don't find lambskin overly delicate) and I am not a fan of the lghw on the boy. For some reason, I love the lghw on other bags, but on the boy it just seems too shiny and too much on the CC clasp.

Agreed about the shininess on the boy!

Hi thanks! I'm 36. I don't plan on wearing daily as I rotate my bags pretty pretty frequently, BUT I don't want to use for special occasions only either. Special occasions I will use my classic flap.

Agree with the above. I also find the light gold hardware too shiny on a boy bag style. Further, for "dressed up or special occasion" bags, a boy bag is the LAST style I would reach for personally Chanel wise. Unless you LOVE the boy style and do not plan on/wont have any other chanel classic flap bags, then perhaps a lamb boy can stretch to cover that "special occasion" gap too. However, given the choice, boy bag style would not be what I consider a "go to" for "dressed up" or "special occasion" bag. In fact, personally I think one might find plenty styles from other brands that can fill that role better.

However, boy bags are so cool, casual, while still has the chanel air of elegance without being "snooty" IMO :lol: that's a very nice thing when the embellishments/etc on a particular boy bag is done right (I think that's probably why a few of us all think that the LGHW is too shiny). Given the above, I would personally avoid lamb for practical reasons and also to me it's like a bag meant to look casual and cool "pretending" to be elegant/dressed up and end up looking like it's "trying too hard" unintentionally.

Don't get me wrong, plenty of lamb lovers who just love the boy style and love lambskin only. this is just my personal view on what the boy style speak to me as and therefore I would prefer caviar, calf, goat with strong preference over calf or goat with either distressed/aged gold or silver or ruthenium. :smile:

Agree with the above. I also find the light gold hardware too shiny on a boy bag style. Further, for "dressed up or special occasion" bags, a boy bag is the LAST style I would reach for personally Chanel wise. Unless you LOVE the boy style and do not plan on/wont have any other chanel classic flap bags, then perhaps a lamb boy can stretch to cover that "special occasion" gap too. However, given the choice, boy bag style would not be what I consider a "go to" for "dressed up" or "special occasion" bag. In fact, personally I think one might find plenty styles from other brands that can fill that role better.

However, boy bags are so cool, casual, while still has the chanel air of elegance without being "snooty" IMO :lol: that's a very nice thing when the embellishments/etc on a particular boy bag is done right (I think that's probably why a few of us all think that the LGHW is too shiny). Given the above, I would personally avoid lamb for practical reasons and also to me it's like a bag meant to look casual and cool "pretending" to be elegant/dressed up and end up looking like it's "trying too hard" unintentionally.

Don't get me wrong, plenty of lamb lovers who just love the boy style and love lambskin only. this is just my personal view on what the boy style speak to me as and therefore I would prefer caviar, calf, goat with strong preference over calf or goat with either distressed/aged gold or silver or ruthenium. :smile:

Thank you for the detailed reply! You are making me feel better about caviar, regardless of HW

Truthfully, I would say no to both! I would hold out for a calfskin boy bag and here is why.....
Just my opinion, but I don't like the look of the caviar leather on the boy bag (caviar lovers, don't hate me...I know many of you disagree:smile:. I just think that there is something about the style of the bag that looks better in the softer leather. While I love the lamb and have one lamb boy (and it's not quite as delicate as people say), the calfskin is still the best choice in my opinion because you get the best of both worlds: "some" of the softness of the lamb with "some" of the durability of the caviar. And the look is stunning! My favorite hardware choice is the shiny silver, but you really can't go wrong with any hardware. I own 5 boy bags and 4/5 of them are calfskin:smile: Just my two cents:smile:

My problem is I can't tell the difference between lambskin and calfskin. How can u tell the difference when looking at a bag?

I think the lambskin one with the matte GHW looks a ton nicer! Maybe double check if it's lamb or actually calfskin. I have been told the boy comes mostly in calfskin that's very similar in texture and softness as lamb, but more durable!

My problem is I can't tell the difference between lambskin and calfskin. How can u tell the difference when looking at a bag?
From my experience, the calfskin is slightly "tougher." I can tell by looking at the sides of the bag...the lambskin will often crease in, while the calfskin bags are sturdier on the sides (if this makes sense). Also, the lambskin bags are smoother on the sides and sag a little easier. The lamb is also a little softer to touch and slightly shinier in my experience. I hope I explained this okay! It's difficult to tell in pictures, but if you see them in person, it's much easier imo:smile: