Too much shopping!

ginvickery

Dec 9, 2016
Help guys! I can't stop shopping! I came into some money recently and I decided to treat myself with some long wanted bags. I ordered a Hermes Evelyne in Blue Jean, an orange Chanel mini Flap in lambskin, a black Vintage Chanel Flap in lambskin, and 2 Rebecca Minkoff bags.

I must be stopped. My wallet can't take anymore. Lol

How does everyone control yourself when you have the funds to spare but need to save?

Help guys! I can't stop shopping! I came into some money recently and I decided to treat myself with some long wanted bags. I ordered a Hermes Evelyne in Blue Jean, an orange Chanel mini Flap in lambskin, a black Vintage Chanel Flap in lambskin, and 2 Rebecca Minkoff bags.

I must be stopped. My wallet can't take anymore. Lol
You might be better posting in the money talks forum? But speaking personally however much money I have coming in, I decide in advance how much is to be divided between money I need to spend, money for unexpected contingencies, money I save and money I can spend on things I want but don't need. Best way to avoid guilt and/or an overdraft in my experience :smile:

I'm a chronic saver. So I put the money I want into savings first. Then I can shop guilt free from whatever I allocated for spending.

It might help to remind yourselves what you're saving for. Maybe carry a representative picture on your phone. :smile:

Also, remind yourself that handbags, regardless of brand, are terrible investments. :no: Even if you can get your money out of a bag later, almost never will you get more than you spent - usually less. And you have the hassle of selling and the cut of commissions.

In any case, good luck! I hope you strike the right balance for you.

There are only 2 reasons for addictions 1. being too happy and trying to keep to an impossible high, or 2. not finding the impossible happiness hoped for but keep tying

Therefore ask yourself:

Do you keep buying because:

1. each gave you such a (good) buzz you wanted to keep the buzz going?

or

2. because you weren't satisfied by each and so had to by another in the hope it would finally satisfy you?

Answer 1.

You have just bought yourself 5 very nice bags that should last you a good while. Suddenly you gave yourself permission to by something exciting and spent good money on yourself. Be proud you went for the best but now give yourself permission to really own them and just be part of the life you live everyday. Make a plan stating today to enjoy each one by actually wearing them in rotation, with different outfits and for different purposes. Once you start to think of this as a collection and not an addiction you will start to enjoy owning and carrying them as part of an outfit and your life. A little buzz everyday and in every way will keep you going.

Answer 2.

Sometimes we imagine that owning this or that may make our lives more magical, worry-free or perfect and of course the more expensive or 'exclusive' the promise the more we expect. Each bag becomes the 'one' or 'HG' or 'UHG' but invariably we find at the prize chased to the end of the rainbow is so much better in our dreams so we look for ever bigger, even brighter rainbows... At the end of the day these possessions are just very beautiful and (hopefully) practical things that can only make us happier in certain terms but they can't actually make us or our lives perfect. Put your new bags around you at once and admire their respective colours and shapes, think about being content in yourself and how each bag can bring something unique to your days/nights. Like 1. (above) start incorporating the bags into your life.

Just starting this thread means that you know it's time for a break and get sensible so I'm sure you'll be fine :hugs:

Here's a very good thread that allows you to talk about steps to thinking about and using bags already owned https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...ion-any-one-else.956897/page-12#post-30903908 there is also another even more serious one somewhere (though I can't remember what it was called, when some members really owned-up to how much their real-life bag addictions got them into serious trouble and supported each other).

Last edited:
your question is contradictory, because if you have the funds to spare then you don't need to save, or have already done so. you are not saving first, so you don't actually have as much 'spare' as you think. most people should be saving first and then the leftover funds are what you can spare each month/week. bags are a very poor investment b/c whatever you buy, that money is completely gone and only a portion will ever come back. each time you buy a new bag you're literally throwing a portion of your money away. if that's ok with you, then spend away. if you cannot curb your habit then at least start shopping for bags pre-loved and pocket the savings. and look for other hobbies and interests to take your mind off bags and shopping. stop visiting the purse forum, to start. most shopping stems from boredom and lacking some feeling of fulfillment ; you need a hobby - shopping isn't a hobby unless you're a Hilton or Kardashian and have unlimited funding

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Well, nothing squashes my money-flinging dreams of grandeur as carrying posh bag to discount store.
Or home improvement center.
Or veterinarian's office.
Because no one there gives a crap what bag I have.

They're too busy fighting over which scented candles to buy.
Or why they even need scented candles.
And being alarmed, as their dog pees on stranger's leg in waiting area--but doing nothing.
Guy on plumbing aisle couldn't give a rat's a$$ about my handbag brand--will talk about tape & lead-free solder for hours.

Realigns my perspective.
Plus, find irl vs tpf hilarious contrast.
Definitely kills illusion that owning certain bags transforms one into rockstar.
Reminds to be true to my own heart.
Though, I still buy & dream sometimes.;)Part of fun.