Do people "judge" you for carrying a Chanel?

They do. Bitter people will ALWAYS have something they judge you on, if it's not luxury items, it's something else. I never received judgment and hate about my purchases from someone who wasn't jealous! If they truly didn't care like they said, they would have never commented in the first place. It's just so damn rude to comment on! I don't understand which barn these people were raised in :no:

Every single time someone tried to put me down about what I do with MY money that I earned, I snap back at their poor financial decisions. Do you really need to buy that one thing Deborah? Aren't you a few grand in debt already??? Never had them come at me again. Don't let a**holes ruin your day and prevent you from wearing your bags out. Speak up if they attack you! And that goes for anything. If you never shut them down, they will learn it's okay to put you down to make themselves feel better. Whether it's family, friends, in-laws, SPEAK UP! Whether someone agrees with your purchases or not, they at the very least should give you some respect.

This topic just gets me so mad lol It's truly maddening how many people out there think they have the right to judge and berate you for what you do with your own damn money SMH :eek:

Ironically, I've found out I got more eye-rolling's from friends and/or relatives when I carry a Chanel or LV purse compared to my Birkin/Kelly. Ha! Also, when I wear Gucci shoes I got a lot of "Are those Gucci? Must be nice...", that kinda thing, but when I wear Chanel shoes or Dior, nobody notices. My MIL is big on diamonds, but doesn't care for designer handbags or shoes. She has a 15-carat diamond ring, a 10 carat, and a few 6-8 carat, among tons of other diamond necklaces and bracelets. We all know how outrageously expensive those are. I never say anything but compliment on her jewelry. Somehow she does have the nerve to make occasional comments (not positive) about my handbags, but never to my face, only to mutual friends or my husband. My husband loves watches and sport cars, and I can buy 20 Birkins with one of his cars, or 5 Kelly's with one of his many watches... but he worked hard and earned it, so I don't feel like I should say anything about it. And I think the same should go with other people when they feel like they can say something about my purses. But honestly, I couldn't care less if people have "opinions" about my personal stuff. If someone makes a nasty comment about how expensive my purse is, I have two ways of approaching it. One is simply saying "Thank you" and they normally get the idea. The other is "You should see my MIL's 15-carat diamond ring", or " You didn't say anything when I was carrying/wearing my B/K/Chanel (whatever brand that is more expensive than the one they are making a comment about)". Lol. Just my way of showing them if they want to be so judgmental and focused on the price tag, I have something worth their attention even more!

For people who judge you because of what you wear or carry, this is their mentality - If you're poor and can't afford anything nice, they'll look down on you and act like they're better than you; if you can afford things that they can't, they'll find a reason to bring you down like you don't deserve those things you paid for with your own money. You just can't win. So Chanel or not Chanel, it really shouldn't matter.

Wow I was glad to see this thread today. While I don't own any Chanel bags, or enormous diamond rings, my colleagues have a fascination with my LV bags. And the comments continually follow even though I try to just use the same Palermo that is three years old now. Laughably, the woman who parks her Mercedes next to me has the exact same Palermo. Yet I'm the one that gets the comments. Figures, right? As far as the in-laws most ignore them but one just stares. Who stares at someone's purse? If you're going to do that at least give it a complement. It bugs the crap out of me. Where I live these bags are fairly common place too!

Reactions: MochaJen
Hello All,

Do you feel people judge you (in a bad way) for carrying such an expensive bag? I've been receiving comments like "another chanel?" from close family and friends. They are in utter disbelief that I would spend so much on a bag. Last night, I was out with my in-laws and they were literally "hounding" me on price and how many bags I have . I was taken aback and quite frankly didn't know what to say (so didn't answer their questions). it was the most awkward moment...
I have another dinner with the in-laws next week and would love to carry my new chanel but I'm afraid if I carry yet another one, sister in law would fall off the deep end...
Question to all of you....Do you get negative comments about your passion for Chanel bags and if so, how do you handle it? what is your response? do you think i should keep my chanel bags from the inlaws and just play it down to avoid any judgment from them?
thanks so much. no one in my inner circle gets my passion for chanel bags. my immediate family thinks I've gone off the deep end buying 8 in the past 4 months....in some ways i do agree but hey, i love my chanels! :tup:Val

My mom is Number 1 Critic. Ugh, every time she sees me with any new designer bag, she gives me "the look" and her usual speech. I keep reminding her that its my money, my son is not without anything he needs AND I have money in the bank so she has nothing to worry about.

I work hard so I should be able to buy whatever I want as long as I do it responsibly! lol. My hubby is more laid back and doesn't really say much about my Chanels...I guess its coz it's not his money! Ha!

IMHO, yes. Sadly, I try to avoid bringing new/different bags when out with those family members who would normally judge. My mother being one. I just don't bring anything new when I do see her. She is super judgmental!

Omg..this happened to me Friday when I took my mom out to brunch. She looked at my new handbag and said sarcastically "How much did that cost???"

I am lucky in that my parents know I work hard so chanel bags are my indulgence/reward to myself. My in law's don't know the luxury brands so also don't make any comments. My friends all share a passion for fashion (luxury or high street) and we do not criticise each other but more encourage our crazy obsessions [emoji847]
honestly I don't care if people judge or not. I buy and use my chanels for ME not for others. They can think all they want and it won't stop me.

I just had something happen to me not too long ago that really bothered me. I like to post pictures of some of my Chanel items that I do have on my Instagram account, and it's set on private so only friends or people I know can see my posts. One day I receive a direct message from a "friend" saying that I need to stop posting pictures of these fake Chanel items and that I'm embarassing myself because how am I able to afford real Chanel because I only work as a _______.
I was outraged! I didn't know what to do. At first I wanted to take pictures of all my receipts and send it to them. But I thought what do I have to prove to this person, I know I saved my money to be able to buy what I want.
So I ended up blocking that so-called "friend" and haven't spoken to them since.

I just had something happen to me not too long ago that really bothered me. I like to post pictures of some of my Chanel items that I do have on my Instagram account, and it's set on private so only friends or people I know can see my posts. One day I receive a direct message from a "friend" saying that I need to stop posting pictures of these fake Chanel items and that I'm embarassing myself because how am I able to afford real Chanel because I only work as a _______.
I was outraged! I didn't know what to do. At first I wanted to take pictures of all my receipts and send it to them. But I thought what do I have to prove to this person, I know I saved my money to be able to buy what I want.
So I ended up blocking that so-called "friend" and haven't spoken to them since.
Insane! How horrifying. Ugh.

Reactions: MochaJen
I would never concern myself with what anyone else thinks, it is simply none of their business. I carry my Chanel bags everywhere and could care less what anyone might say. If you love them carry them with pride. When you said you have purchased 8 Chanel bags in 4 months. Wow, how fun that would be! (You might think the in laws are less taken back by the fact you have a Chanel bag but that you have 8 new bags in 4 months LOL!).

That's an awful thing to say. If she did not know about your love for bags then she's not your friend.

Honestly it makes me mad bc this normally happens to me. Sad to say my family has always been judgemental/jealousy weather they say it infront of me or behind my back but i don't want to hide away those beautiful bag. My parents has stop asking after telling them off (i work hard and deserve something that makes me happy and I have no children)[emoji15][emoji15]. I felt bad but afterward but ever since then she never say anything. [emoji38][emoji38] still I have sister in laws/cousins who happen to always inspect my bag like it was fake it always felt awkward then they'll will start asking how much it cost??? And when I tell them they will always shock.

Don't feel bad because at least yours will tell you face to face their displeasure about you spending $$$ amount. Mine they take it to another level as in social media with quotes directed to me and my hubby [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]. It honestly makes me mad bc those ppl will always mooches to me and my husband. Yup and never once they have taken us out..

People will always be jealous of what you have that they can't never have. After awhile I just ignore it they can say all they want. I enjoy my bag rotate my bag. Spend a lot of $$ so enjoy it no matter what your family or friends always have something to say. Wear it with pride you deserve it!! Life to short to worry you can't never make everyone happy but you can make yourself happy!!! My motto in life

I make a point not to wear it around ppl who don't/wouldn't understand. Which happens to be most people [emoji15] When I get visitors, my Chanel get neglected - just Bc I feel self conscious or would feel judged. I also have a complex where I don't want ppl around me to feel self conscious or inadequate. Not that they should, or anything... but maybe if someone was insecure or jealous?

Unless, of course, it's a special occasion. Even then, I got a comment once - I can't recall what it was exactly, but it was definitely calling out my "fancy bag." I only wear it when I hang out w friends that are into them as well :smile: