is Fiebings edgecoat worth buying?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I have a bag with cracks in the edgecoat on the handles. DH has some vinyl dye he can use to cover the white showing through. Someone said this Fiebings is basically just a dye. Anyone used it? Worth buying?
I sent the bag to Rebecca Minkoff for repair but whatever they did was a sloppy job.

I have done a few minor sealant repairs with Fiebings. It's more than just a dye. Here is an old thread that I referred to:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/presto-do-it-yourself-mama-fixes-sealant-issue.432054/

I recently acquired a bag with some MAJOR sealant issues on the shoulder strap. I felt that it was way beyond my skills so I sent it in to LMB just before the holidays. I haven't heard back from them yet...but anything that they can do is better than nothing.

I have done a few minor sealant repairs with Fiebings. It's more than just a dye. Here is an old thread that I referred to:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/presto-do-it-yourself-mama-fixes-sealant-issue.432054/

I recently acquired a bag with some MAJOR sealant issues on the shoulder strap. I felt that it was way beyond my skills so I sent it in to LMB just before the holidays. I haven't heard back from them yet...but anything that they can do is better than nothing.

The results in that thread look good. I wonder if they lasted. That poster hasn't been seen in a couple of years so I guess I won't try to ask her.
My RM bag had multiple cracks in the edgecoat. The handles were black with a shiny red edgecoat. I sent it to RM and they "fixed" it. It came back with no red, all black and not shiny. Eventually the black started wearing off and there was white exposed. My DH is very good with his hands and had some product (vinyl dye I think) that covered the white and made it all black. At this point I guess no one but me (or a buyer if I sold it) would notice. I'd like to have the shiny edgecoat back but DH is doubtful that the Feibings would give a lasting result.
If anyone has had good and lasting results with this, I'd like to hear. It's not expensive so cost isn't holding me back.
thanks

The results in that thread look good. I wonder if they lasted. That poster hasn't been seen in a couple of years so I guess I won't try to ask her.
My RM bag had multiple cracks in the edgecoat. The handles were black with a shiny red edgecoat. I sent it to RM and they "fixed" it. It came back with no red, all black and not shiny. Eventually the black started wearing off and there was white exposed. My DH is very good with his hands and had some product (vinyl dye I think) that covered the white and made it all black. At this point I guess no one but me (or a buyer if I sold it) would notice. I'd like to have the shiny edgecoat back but DH is doubtful that the Feibings would give a lasting result.
If anyone has had good and lasting results with this, I'd like to hear. It's not expensive so cost isn't holding me back.
thanks

Hi sdkitty, I have a bottle of fiebings edge kote and it works pretty well, if not at the same strength as the kind used at a leather workshop. I've used it to line some leather accessories and to make minor repairs. It does give you an shiny black edge kote finish (definitely not like dye), and is buildable. Filling in cracks is easy although if you have missing edge kote, you may have to patiently build it up over layers for it to not be obvious. Also how well it holds up depends on the area of use, I think. I have a Coach bag I constantly have to touch up because the area where the original edge kote wore off is where the crossbody straps loop and is subject to high tension.

Reactions: prepster
Hi sdkitty, I have a bottle of fiebings edge kote and it works pretty well, if not at the same strength as the kind used at a leather workshop. I've used it to line some leather accessories and to make minor repairs. It does give you an shiny black edge kote finish (definitely not like dye), and is buildable. Filling in cracks is easy although if you have missing edge kote, you may have to patiently build it up over layers for it to not be obvious. Also how well it holds up depends on the area of use, I think. I have a Coach bag I constantly have to touch up because the area where the original edge kote wore off is where the crossbody straps loop and is subtject to high tension.

thanks! so on a handle that's being touched a lot it would probably need touching up fairly often I guess