Need Celine advice! Box or twisted cabas?

jax818

Jun 7, 2015
Hi TPF members! My DH is sweet enough to give me a 3k budget for a new handbag as a belated Christmas present. My heart is set on Celine. I've been purchasing a lot of Chanel flaps this past year and I'm craving something with less branding. I need more color in my collection and I'm also missing some kind of tote.

I've been intrigued by the twisted cabas and the color way this Spring is gorgeous. I like the fact that you don't really see anybody with this bag. But since there is so little information about it, I don't know much about the wear and user friendliness of this bag. It is however within the budget my husband set for me and it fills a need in my collection as far as being a tote and adding pops of color. I do have to add that I have a few MG bucket bags in my collection. Is it too close to a bucket?

Now for the box....that burgundy color is TDF in my opinion. My heart stopped when I saw it. The classic box has always been on my wishlist. I know it is over 3k but I would pay the difference myself to get this dream bag. One thing that is killing me is the price increase. It just seems so much for this bag but I feel that I can wear this for the next 30 years. I don't own this color in my collection.

I haven't tried these bags in person yet. I plan to go into the store ready to make the purchase. Just a little about myself...I'm in my mid-30s, a mom, and I own my own company so I don't have to worry about a dress code. I'm a very casual dresser and practically live in jeans.

Thank you all in advance! Here are pics that my SA sent:

IMG_1482861226.569452.jpgIMG_1482861235.597965.jpgIMG_1482861243.774348.jpgIMG_1482861252.023478.jpg

If I were you, I would get the classic box, for several reasons.

1. You say it is your dream bag and has always been on your wishlist.

2. The box will stand up to the test of time, whereas the twisted cabas will look dated in a few years.

3. The box is versatile: you can wear it with jeans or dress it up.

The burgundy color is gorgeous!!

If I were you, I would get the classic box, for several reasons.

1. You say it is your dream bag and has always been on your wishlist.

2. The box will stand up to the test of time, whereas the twisted cabas will look dated in a few years.

3. The box is versatile: you can wear it with jeans or dress it up.

The burgundy color is gorgeous!!

Thank you! I'm really leaning towards that.

I'd get the Classic Box! The Burgundy is beautiful!

I have both of these bags. The Twisted Cabas is comfortable and incredibly useful BUT mine is really not aging well. I'm not sure if it's because of the lining inside the bag, but the bag, IMHO, is not worth the $$$. Get a Twisted Cabas preloved later down the road if it still intrigues you!

Reactions: jax818
They are so different and I love love love my twisted cabas. It's more every day and carries the world. It's is casual and what I do love is that not many people have it. It's why I bought it.

The box is more refined and clearly carries less. You are comparing a tote to a almost flap like smaller handbag. Buy what you love first and maybe get the other later?

So my vote based on your question goes to the twisted cabas. I bought it because I saw some girl with it in NYC and she carried it so effortlessly and her and I had similar style....and I kept looking at it because it looked designer, classy, but I did not know what it was....and ironically we were trying clothes on at Celine! LOL...duh. It was the Celine twisted cabas. I want another one at some point if that tells you anything for the summer!

Reactions: jax818
Hi TPF members! My DH is sweet enough to give me a 3k budget for a new handbag as a belated Christmas present. My heart is set on Celine. I've been purchasing a lot of Chanel flaps this past year and I'm craving something with less branding. I need more color in my collection and I'm also missing some kind of tote.

I've been intrigued by the twisted cabas and the color way this Spring is gorgeous. I like the fact that you don't really see anybody with this bag. But since there is so little information about it, I don't know much about the wear and user friendliness of this bag. It is however within the budget my husband set for me and it fills a need in my collection as far as being a tote and adding pops of color. I do have to add that I have a few MG bucket bags in my collection. Is it too close to a bucket?

Now for the box....that burgundy color is TDF in my opinion. My heart stopped when I saw it. The classic box has always been on my wishlist. I know it is over 3k but I would pay the difference myself to get this dream bag. One thing that is killing me is the price increase. It just seems so much for this bag but I feel that I can wear this for the next 30 years. I don't own this color in my collection.

I haven't tried these bags in person yet. I plan to go into the store ready to make the purchase. Just a little about myself...I'm in my mid-30s, a mom, and I own my own company so I don't have to worry about a dress code. I'm a very casual dresser and practically live in jeans.

Thank you all in advance! Here are pics that my SA sent:

View attachment 3558323View attachment 3558325View attachment 3558326View attachment 3558328

I just bought a classic box bag in black this week. It had been on my wishlist for a long time, and I love it. That being said, the twisted cabas is also on my wishlist. I didn't like the pictures I initially saw of it, but I saw a girl walking down the street this fall carrying one and I thought it was so cool and effortless!

I agree with a prior poster who said that the box bag is a classic you can carry for many years to come and it will always look timeless. The cabas is definitely more trendy with the color blocking, so a few seasons of wear are more likely. Really, it comes down to the purpose of the bag - do you want a larger tote that will hold more items, be less structured, and more casual? Or do you want a very structured, polished bag that holds fewer items? Both bags can be worn with jeans or skirts/dresses. But the Box has the added advantage of converting easily to evening carry.

Both are fantastic options in my opinion, so go with the purpose that suits your daily lifestyle best.

Hope this helps!

So I went to the store and left with something completely different that I'm head over heels over!

Presenting my new...Celine phantom cabas in taupe!
IMG_1483821747.811317.jpg

I've been using her non stop since I purchased it and I'm 100% happy with my decision. The price point and functionality of the box bag just didn't make sense for me right now. The twisted cabas was beautiful and chic but I don't know if it'll be out of style a few years down the line. Also didn't like how deep it was. I needed a tote in my life and this squishy beautiful cabas completely fits the bill. I fell in love with the color as well. The design is so simple yet unique and lux. I also tried on an LV epi neverfull and it did nothing for me. I'm over the moon with my new bag! Thank you all for your comments. I'll probably still get a box bag down the line but perhaps in Europe during travels or preloved.

So I went to the store and left with something completely different that I'm head over heels over!

Presenting my new...Celine phantom cabas in taupe!
View attachment 3567985

I've been using her non stop since I purchased it and I'm 100% happy with my decision. The price point and functionality of the box bag just didn't make sense for me right now. The twisted cabas was beautiful and chic but I don't know if it'll be out of style a few years down the line. Also didn't like how deep it was. I needed a tote in my life and this squishy beautiful cabas completely fits the bill. I fell in love with the color as well. The design is so simple yet unique and lux. I also tried on an LV epi neverfull and it did nothing for me. I'm over the moon with my new bag! Thank you all for your comments. I'll probably still get a box bag down the line but perhaps in Europe during travels or preloved.
What a great choice! Which size of the phantom cabas did you purchase? How do you like the souris color? I've been thinking about this exact bag/color but in the small. Do you see green undertones or is it a pure taupe?

I wanted to also respond to your original post questions. :smile: I have experience with both the box and twisted cabas. I have the box which I love and yes, it is a classic but definitely does not hold too much. The twisted cabas is chic but it was way too deep for me so I ended up returning it. Now I'm thinking of the phantom cabas but want to make sure of the souris color. Would love to hear your comments on it! Thanks a bunch.

What a great choice! Which size of the phantom cabas did you purchase? How do you like the souris color? I've been thinking about this exact bag/color but in the small. Do you see green undertones or is it a pure taupe?

I wanted to also respond to your original post questions. :smile: I have experience with both the box and twisted cabas. I have the box which I love and yes, it is a classic but definitely does not hold too much. The twisted cabas is chic but it was way too deep for me so I ended up returning it. Now I'm thinking of the phantom cabas but want to make sure of the souris color. Would love to hear your comments on it! Thanks a bunch.

Thank you! I absolutely adore the color. I think I wouldn't have fell so hard for this bag if it wasn't for the color. I don't see any green undertones in this color. It is a wonderful neutral. I got the large size. I was debating between the two sizes but the large looked better on me since I'm a bigger girl. This is definitely a bag that I see myself using for many years.

Reactions: baglvr2012
My lovely fiancé got me this for our anni to use as a workhorse The exact same bag. I was so blown away with my husband's good taste! It truly is such a special bag. I do carry about 6 pounds everyday, so hopefully that's bearable for the small size. Did you get the large size?
I have a couple epi neverfulls but I do prefer the soft handles on the cabas. Here's mine! IMG_1483936568.442686.jpg

My lovely fiancé got me this for our anni to use as a workhorse The exact same bag. I was so blown away with my husband's good taste! It truly is such a special bag. I do carry about 6 pounds everyday, so hopefully that's bearable for the small size. Did you get the large size?
I have a couple epi neverfulls but I do prefer the soft handles on the cabas. Here's mine! View attachment 3569195

Congrats on yours and what a lovely fiancé! Bag twins! Mine is the large size, that one looked better on me. I feel like this bag is very under the radar. It's not one of the bags I've lusted for like other bags that I eventually own but I seriously love this bag more than those. I guess you just never know.