switching and returning different size item

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I bought some shoes online. I was not sure if they were totally comfortable so I went to Macys to try on the next size. I'd gotten a good price online and now found that Macys was having a sale and I could get the same price there. So I bought the next size up from Macys. I'm still deciding which pair fits best. Hard to tell if the smaller size is going to feel good when broken in or if it's just going to be a shoe I can wear for a few house as opposed to an all-day comfortable shoe.

Here's the dilemma. If I return the smaller size to the online retailer it will cost me shipping both ways. They will refund my purchase price minus shipping and I'll have to pay to ship the shoes back to them.

DH thinks that if I want to return them I could bring them back to Macy's. Macy's would be getting a brand new pair of shoes - just a different size. This is a grey area. Looking at the boxes, I think I could do it and they'd never know and they'd have a shoe they could sell.

Right now I'm wearing the smaller ones around the house to try to determine how comfortable they are.
Opinions? Would you feel uncomfortable doing this switch?

I agree with RemainSilly. This is why I try to buy from sites that have free return shipping or a store I can return to.
Just think if you were the person that got the box with wrong sized shoes in them.

OK, I hear you
But wearing around the house to decide if they're comfortable is allowed. If I can be comfortable with the online purchase, then I can do a return of unworn pair from Macy's in correct box and all good. I have a pair of the same brand boots in very similar style in the smaller size (size purchased online) and they are perfect.
thanks for the advice

I'm sure people have done it before with no issue. I'm sure people have returned items in the wrong box accidentally with no issue (could be an honest mistake). It's just up to you how comfortable you are doing that.

If I were next macy's customer, finding returned shoes in smaller size than box stated, I'd be kinda pissed.

This has happened to me on occasion and it sucks. Having to go through the hassle of returning the shoes and getting my money back. Then going back online or to the store and trying to find the shoes in my size.

Be a good citizen of the world and return the proper shoes to the proper retailer and in the appropriately marked box. :smile:

I bought some shoes online. I was not sure if they were totally comfortable so I went to Macys to try on the next size. I'd gotten a good price online and now found that Macys was having a sale and I could get the same price there. So I bought the next size up from Macys. I'm still deciding which pair fits best. Hard to tell if the smaller size is going to feel good when broken in or if it's just going to be a shoe I can wear for a few house as opposed to an all-day comfortable shoe.

Here's the dilemma. If I return the smaller size to the online retailer it will cost me shipping both ways. They will refund my purchase price minus shipping and I'll have to pay to ship the shoes back to them.

DH thinks that if I want to return them I could bring them back to Macy's. Macy's would be getting a brand new pair of shoes - just a different size. This is a grey area. Looking at the boxes, I think I could do it and they'd never know and they'd have a shoe they could sell.

Right now I'm wearing the smaller ones around the house to try to determine how comfortable they are.
Opinions? Would you feel uncomfortable doing this switch?
Yes I'd feel uncomfortable. And I'd be feeling bad about "switching" for longer than I'd feel bad about losing out on the postage. Bite the bullet :smile:

Doesn't Macy's now put a purchase/return sticker on items like Bloomies? In any event, don't see the "grey area." Return to the original seller. These things happen. Be glad you found a pair you like.

Doesn't Macy's now put a purchase/return sticker on items like Bloomies? In any event, don't see the "grey area." Return to the original seller. These things happen. Be glad you found a pair you like.
there would be no issue with returning the Macy's shoes..... problem is the online retailer - a large power seller on ebay. I didn't think about the fact that if the shoes didn't work out I'd be losing the price of shipping both ways (my fault). However, if I'd purchased online from a seller who paid for return shipping, the price of the shoes would have been double.
I had bought shoes from them before and they were perfect so I thought it was worth trying - same manufacturer, similar style, same size. Lesson learned - probably best not to buy shoes online unless they're a style you know it fits you - and even then I guess there are variances from shoe to shoe.

This has happened to me on occasion and it sucks. Having to go through the hassle of returning the shoes and getting my money back. Then going back online or to the store and trying to find the shoes in my size.

Be a good citizen of the world and return the proper shoes to the proper retailer and in the appropriately marked box. :smile:
I guess the lesson for me might be wait for the sale rather than buying online and as you say going thru the hassle of sending back plus basically spending $20 for nothing (the cost of trying on shoes). Patience is not my strong suit so I went for the good price online instead of waiting (and of course I didn't know if/when Macys would have the sale and if they'd have my size; I had called the around the time I placed my order and they only had one pair in my size and none in any size at other local Macys stores.

I guess the lesson for me might be wait for the sale rather than buying online and as you say going thru the hassle of sending back plus basically spending $20 for nothing (the cost of trying on shoes). Patience is not my strong suit so I went for the good price online instead of waiting (and of course I didn't know if/when Macys would have the sale and if they'd have my size; I had called the around the time I placed my order and they only had one pair in my size and none in any size at other local Macys stores.

I've spent some bucks shipping back shoes that didn't fit and which I bought online at sale prices and have come to the conclusion that the best course of action is to bite the bullet and buy the shoes in person even if it means spending a lot more than buying them online. Not long ago I bought a pair of shoes that ended up costing me about $40 more in person than if I had bought them online. Ouch. But you know what, they fit. I tried on at least 15 pair in the store and in the end the clerk ended up pairing a right shoe and a left shoe from different boxes. (There is absolutely no consistency in sizing these days, even among shoes of the same style and maker.) These shoes are so comfy I've been wearing them every day. In fact I look forward to wearing them. So even though I cringe whenever I spot them online at prices so much cheaper than what I paid....my shoes fit! I supported a local business, and I didn't have to pay return shipping and go through the hassle of boxing up shoes for return in order to find a pair that kinda, sorta fit.

My mantra these days is to buy fewer shoes but buy them person. And I don't screw around waiting for sales. If I buy just a couple pair of shoes each year that's all I need (usually :biggrin: ).

So you know my advice, return the shoes to the proper seller, take it as a lesson learned. Buy the shoes you need in person to get the best fit, and unless you have one of those shoe sizes that is always on the sales rack don't wait for the shoes you love and need to go on sale. :cool:

I've spent some bucks shipping back shoes that didn't fit and which I bought online at sale prices and have come to the conclusion that the best course of action is to bite the bullet and buy the shoes in person even if it means spending a lot more than buying them online. Not long ago I bought a pair of shoes that ended up costing me about $40 more in person than if I had bought them online. Ouch. But you know what, they fit. I tried on at least 15 pair in the store and in the end the clerk ended up pairing a right shoe and a left shoe from different boxes. (There is absolutely no consistency in sizing these days, even among shoes of the same style and maker.) These shoes are so comfy I've been wearing them every day. In fact I look forward to wearing them. So even though I cringe whenever I spot them online at prices so much cheaper than what I paid....my shoes fit! I supported a local business, and I didn't have to pay return shipping and go through the hassle of boxing up shoes for return in order to find a pair that kinda, sorta fit.

My mantra these days is to buy fewer shoes but buy them person. And I don't screw around waiting for sales. If I buy just a couple pair of shoes each year that's all I need (usually :biggrin: ).

So you know my advice, return the shoes to the proper seller, take it as a lesson learned. Buy the shoes you need in person to get the best fit, and unless you have one of those shoe sizes that is always on the sales rack don't wait for the shoes you love and need to go on sale. :cool:
good story. customer service like that you got with your shoes is rare these days. most stores if you can get any help they don't even claim to know anything about how a shoe should fit you.
funny, I have a pair of shoes that are so comfy like yours. but rather than wearing them every day I wanted some new black ones. so I tried to duplicate the comfort. I doubt either of the two pairs I bought are going to be as comfortable as the ones I already have.

thanks for your advice

That's a risk you take when shopping online. Yeah, you can get a better price but if you aren't familiar with that exact style/pair, you don't know how they'll fit.

It's not the seller's problem that you didn't know your size! So why should the seller be out money for shipping when you didn't do your own due diligence to make sure you were buying the right size.
Grey area? Who are you kidding? Not honest people! You bought your size at Macy's after you were smart enough to go and try them on to be sure they'd fit! Whether they're new or not, the shoes you want to return to Macy's and think "they'd never know" is NOT the shoes they sold you. That's just plain dishonest!
I didn't think about the fact that if the shoes didn't work out I'd be losing the price of shipping both ways (my fault). However, if I'd purchased online from a seller who paid for return shipping, the price of the shoes would have been double.
Exactly! Don't you think you'll pay more to get more? The seller who allows "free returns" and pays for the shipping is certainly going to add that cost to the selling price!!

Reactions: rkiz and Nikki_