New vs Pre-loved

I've been looking T pre-loved bags but most of them that I find are in worse conditions than I'd really want to spend a significant amount of money on and the ones that are in truly good condition are almost the same as retail due to how well they hold their value. So my question is, when do you buy new vs used? If you can save $100, that seems significant until you consider that it may only be a 10% discount or less and the bag won't be in perfect condition, nor will you receive the dust cover or box. (Not to mention buying from the company is much simpler than reviewing countless handbag conditions, authenticating and hoping that the seller is honest

When what you want is no longer made in the leather or canvas you want, it is easy to make the decision to buy pre-loved. You just need to be patient, because what you want will turn up in time.
However I agree with what I think you are suggesting: buying new directly from LV is the best way to go if you can.

Reactions: snibor
When what you want is no longer made in the leather or canvas you want, it is easy to make the decision to buy pre-loved. You just need to be patient, because what you want will turn up in time.
However I agree with what I think you are suggesting: buying new directly from LV is the best way to go if you can.
Good point - if what you like is no longer available, pre-loved is the way to go. I also find that I sort of like deal-spotting, so I keep toying with the idea of pre-loved just in case I could get a really good deal but then ultimately, I also think that there would be something very rewarding about buying one new.

It depends on the bag for me. DE bags hold up really well and don't have vachetta these I lean towards buying preloved. I0% is not enough to make me buy preloved. Its also the reason why I am buying a brand new Monogram Neverfull GM the price that I see for ones in good condition are to close to the price in the store.

I always buy new unless an item I want is discontinued and unavailable at the store (but something I still really want for my collection). Then, it needs to meet both of the following criteria:
  1. It must be in like-new condition. No exception.
  2. It must also be offered at a significant discount (at least 30%).
These rules render the pre-loved market fairly unattractive to me, but I have been able to score a couple of nice bags over the years.

I never buy preloved if I can get the bag in stores, except for a steal, like 50% off with never happens :biggrin:

If the bag is discontinued and I want it, I'll buy it if it's in good condition (don't mind some normal wear) and at a reasonable price.

It depends on the bag for me. DE bags hold up really well and don't have vachetta these I lean towards buying preloved. I0% is not enough to make me buy preloved. Its also the reason why I am buying a brand new Monogram Neverfull GM the price that I see for ones in good condition are to close to the price in the store.

I've had the same experience. I look at Neverfull but they hold their value so well that they are often only 10-15% off of the new price and are missing the interior Pochette!

I always buy new unless an item I want is discontinued and unavailable at the store (but something I still really want for my collection). Then, it needs to meet both of the following criteria:
  1. It must be in like-new condition. No exception.
  2. It must also be offered at a significant discount (at least 30%).
These rules render the pre-loved market fairly unattractive to me, but I have been able to score a couple of nice bags over the years.

Yep, I hear ya. Do you have sites that you've found meet your qualifications more often than others?

I feel the same way about buying preloved bags. It's has to be a good deal, atleast 50%off and in good condition.

Do you have sites that you typically look at that are more likely to have up to a 50% discount, or is it just kind of unicorn spotting? I was looking on eBay but honestly started to feel like it wasn't worth the time because there are so many counterfeits. The trusted sellers don't seem to usually give that big of a discount (nor do fashionphile or yoogis from what I've seen)

I've gotten a good deal on other bags (balenciaga, Marc Jacobs, Dior) on the real real but I've heard they also have some fakes and I also find that there standardization of condition is not up to par. I've been lucky that my expensive bags have been in very good condition but others that I bought with that same label could have big scuffs or scratches, which to me should be "good" condition at best.

Reactions: Qteepiec
I never buy preloved if I can get the bag in stores, except for a steal, like 50% off with never happens :biggrin:

If the bag is discontinued and I want it, I'll buy it if it's in good condition (don't mind some normal wear) and at a reasonable price.

For me, I draw the line at wear and tear any further than what my bags would have. Some scratches on the hardware, meh, not a huge deal. Worn corners, a big scuff or scratch on the leather or canvas? No. Misshapen or creased? No, pass.

I guess it pretty much depends on budget. An item within $200 dollars I personally would buy new. When you stretch it further into $300 and beyond then you're bending my ear. By the way, this is coming from a guy's perspective looking at purse collecting as a hobby rather than my wife's passion for purses. Back to the question... frankly our budget is restrictive enough she can have a new Neverfull, Speedy, or SLG once a year but that's it. The rest of the year she'll have to buy (new) a Kate Spade or Dooney once in awhile to curb the cravings.

I've found this could be way too addictive for a person and could get out of control for those who really can't afford it. We're aware of that and why the pre-loved is so attractive in looking at the proper balance. Reading here where folks are dropping $2000 or more, while eye opening, I personally think is great if they can handle that budget wise. My wife and I have never been envious of anyone who can afford expensive things and get a kick out of the person willing to show what they have.

Back to the OP.... Maybe I'm reading too much into the question but it really comes down to what you want to do. If your budget is telling you yes saving $100 dollars matters then do it. If you think the experience of going into LV getting the Perrier water and the whole presentation then it is worth it. You got to make yourself happy. Kind of a weird thing with designer purses and especially with Louis Vuitton in particular because it is so recognizable by everyone. It is very possible for individuals who have the funds to frown on someone getting a pre-loved and at the opposite spectrum those who cannot afford any type of designer purses (even pre-loved) and think the owner is snooty by assumption.

I prefer pre-loved... This is a personal choice which is large because of 1. My income & 2. My personal preference..

1. I am currently a student, so expensive bags are a super luxury item at the moment, I therefore don't mind saving for a while, and buying pre-loved

2. I love pre-loved as I feel more comfortable using them.. I'm always super careful with new items, and it's exhausting! It somehow sucks out all the joy of using beautiful new items... Pre-loved has already been used, so I can relax, and use them more, which I really enjoy!!

2. I love pre-loved as I feel more comfortable using them.. I'm always super careful with new items, and it's exhausting! It somehow sucks out all the joy of using beautiful new items... Pre-loved has already been used, so I can relax, and use them more, which I really enjoy!!

This is so true!
I just bought my first LV bag, a Speedy 30, and ended up buying it from Fashionphile. I went back and forth, but in the end I really like the look of a Speedy with some patina versus the brand new really light vachetta. I love this bag! It's 11 years old, and the canvas is in amazing shape. The vachetta is such a pretty honey color, and I don't have to worry about every little drop of rain :smile: