Hermes watches - advice needed

LovEmAll

LovEmAll @dailyloves
Aug 28, 2014
Hi everyone,

I posted this in the Hermes thread too, but since it deals with watches, I figured I'd seek advice on this here too.

I have a dilema that I'd love your expertise on. My DH's birthday is coming up and I've decided to get him an Hermes watch. He currently has a GMT Rolex and a Hublot with a black ceramic face and dial. I wanted to get him something classic and under the radar with a leather band. I am between the slim d'hermes or the arceau, and I'd be getting either with a Havana brown alligator leather strap. Pics borrowed from different websites for reference below. I've been reading quite a bit about the watches and have read great things about both. Based on some online searching, it looks like the slim d'hermes has been very well received since it was introduced.

Do any one you have either? Both? Which would you prefer?

TIA!
IMG_1483706137.015699.jpg
IMG_1483706147.081310.jpg

Since your husband has Rolex and Hublot, I'm not sure if he would like a Hermes watch. Hermes is still a fashion watch although they have started producing their own movement. Why not consider dress watches from other brands like Omega, Tudor, Longines to name a few. But if he really likes Hermes then I would go for the Slim d'Hermes.

Reactions: AntiqueShopper
The Vaucher movement on the slim d'hermes is far better finished than any Omega or Longines though. I'd say its direct competitors are more likely Piaget (Altiplano) and Chopard L.U.C.

Price wise is about the price of Hermes. I would go for Omega. Hope I'm not confusing you more.

Thanks so much nvie! I so appreciate your posts. He loves Hermes as a brand and really appreciates the quality and craftsmanship of the product. I also want to get him an Hermes because he is not a fan of leather straps, but nothing compares to H when it comes to leather and I have read several reviews on the slim d'hermes specifically pointing out how amazing the leather is and feels. I think I'm leaning toward the slim but still undecided. Thanks again so much!

The Vaucher movement on the slim d'hermes is far better finished than any Omega or Longines though. I'd say its direct competitors are more likely Piaget (Altiplano) and Chopard L.U.C.

Thanks Christofle! That is what I keep reading....reviews actually compare the movement of the slim to that of major watch houses (even that of Patek P.)

I keep reading fantastic things about the slim (which is driving me toward that one). I also think he will absolutely love how slim and light it is.

Thanks so much for your comments!

Thanks so much nvie! I so appreciate your posts. He loves Hermes as a brand and really appreciates the quality and craftsmanship of the product. I also want to get him an Hermes because he is not a fan of leather straps, but nothing compares to H when it comes to leather and I have read several reviews on the slim d'hermes specifically pointing out how amazing the leather is and feels. I think I'm leaning toward the slim but still undecided. Thanks again so much!

Never say never. My husband doesn't like leather straps too but he just got himself Tudor Black Shield with black leather strap with red stitching and he's in love. Considering we live in a tropical country, humidity is an hourly affair. If you are in a cooler climate, then it would be perfect.

I would also put forward the Temps Suspendu as an option if you haven't looked into it. It follows as very H and romantic philosophy for the complication and the dial layout looks a bit more intricate than other H options. Just a thought !

I would also put forward the Temps Suspendu as an option if you haven't looked into it. It follows as very H and romantic philosophy for the complication and the dial layout looks a bit more intricate than other H options. Just a thought !

Agreed! That one is a dream. I am not sure my DH would like it though....he has a thing for very plain and uncomplicated dials. I do love the look of it too and the craftsmanship. Baby steps! lol

The slim d' Hermes watch would be a great add on to the collection that your DH already has & in the brown alligator
very handsome.
It's classic, timeless, understated & makes just the right statement, IYKWIM...
I was in H( Madison Ave tore) the other day & there are a whole new group of watches that arrived.Perhaps there
might be something that will catch your eye.

The slim d' Hermes watch would be a great add on to the collection that your DH already has & in the brown alligator
very handsome.
It's classic, timeless, understated & makes just the right statement, IYKWIM...
I was in H( Madison Ave tore) the other day & there are a whole new group of watches that arrived.Perhaps there
might be something that will catch your eye.

Thanks so much hotshot! I've had my local store order both so I can pick. Can't wait got them to come in! I'll reveal whichever I pick for DH [emoji7]. Really appreciate your comments!

my DH had an arceau and really disliked how light the slim is. if your DH doesn't mind or prefers a lighter watch, then i think the slim is very nice. my DH likes a heavier watch.

my DH had an arceau and really disliked how light the slim is. if your DH doesn't mind or prefers a lighter watch, then i think the slim is very nice. my DH likes a heavier watch.

Thanks so much dear! I think my DH will be the opposite and really like the slimness of the slim. Gotta decide tomorrow since his bday is Wednesday! Still trying to pick...they are both GORG! [emoji7]