Buying to keep vs. resell

chicsylvie

Feb 6, 2015
I'm considering taking the LV plunge and buying the Lockme II BB in rose gold eyelet. What's keeping me back is the price. The bag looks like something I'd want to keep and wear for many years, but of course I can't say that with 100% certainty. How many of you buy LV bags with the intention of keeping them for life, only to end up reselling them later on? And if you resell them, how much of the cost do you recover for used items?

I never buy with the intention of selling, but of course I have bought and sold many bags, because of preference and lifestyle changes. Even the bags that I "had to have", I sometimes end up selling after the novelty wears off or when something new comes along. Generally, you will always lose money doing this, unless your item is in high demand. How much you lose will depend on the style. However, any funds you get from selling it can be put toward something new! If it is an item that you love now and can afford, I say go for it!

I'm considering taking the LV plunge and buying the Lockme II BB in rose gold eyelet. What's keeping me back is the price. The bag looks like something I'd want to keep and wear for many years, but of course I can't say that with 100% certainty. How many of you buy LV bags with the intention of keeping them for life, only to end up reselling them later on? And if you resell them, how much of the cost do you recover for used items?
One thing I can tell you: the Lockme II BB will not resell for much money a few years down the line. If you buy this bag and plan to resell it, expect a 50% loss. Unless the bag is monogram canvas, the value at resell goes down, in particular for expensive leather bags.

Personally, I don't purchase bags in the perspective of reselling them later. I buy the bags that I like and I enjoy them for many years. I have sold a handful of bags but price was never my motivation: I needed the room or clearly stopped using these bags so it was time to let them go. If money is a real concern (i.e. you want the bag to be an "investment"), I would advise against this purchase.

One thing I can tell you: the Lockme II BB will not resell for much money a few years down the line. If you buy this bag and plan to resell it, expect a 50% loss. Unless the bag is monogram canvas, the value at resell goes down, in particular for expensive leather bags.

Personally, I don't purchase bags in the perspective of reselling them later. I buy the bags that I like and I enjoy them for many years. I have sold a handful of bags but price was never my motivation: I needed the room or clearly stopped using these bags so it was time to let them go. If money is a real concern (i.e. you want the bag to be an "investment"), I would advise against this purchase.

Sorry, this question is off topic, what do you think about the lockme2bb? I got it as birthday present last year but used maybe 2 or 3 times, this not really a daily bag. I always reach for the twice instead because it's more casual. Should I keep it or let it go? Anyhow, I never sell any of my bags.

Sorry, this question is off topic, what do you think about the lockme2bb? I got it as birthday present last year but used maybe 2 or 3 times, this not really a daily bag. I always reach for the twice instead because it's more casual. Should I keep it or let it go? Anyhow, I never sell any of my bags.
It's a beautiful bag but you are the only one who can make the informed decision of keeping or selling.

you could also do some searching online for the bag right now (or earlier versions) to see what it's currently selling for on resale websites. that can often give you a good idea of whether or not the bag is holding its value. this is just my opinion, but lv leather does not seem to hold value unless it's a small leather item and not a bag. i'd always suggest that someone buy an lv leather item pre-loved, if possible, so you'd lose less if you did resell it later.

There are new Lockmes on eBay (or were when I checked last week) for already about $600-700 less than retail. It's a lovely bag but like other said, won't be an investment.

I've never bought with intention of selling but have ended up selling. Most lv bags do not sell for nearly what you pay for it.

If you're on the fence then wait and think before buying. I would not suggest buying thinking you will recoup your money if sold. Unlikely.

I would never buy with the intention on reselling to make my money or more back and I personally do not see LV items as an investment. I agree with Fab that mono bags sell the best as far as eBay is concerned. I have bought bags that I knew I wouldn't keep for many years and I dont think there is anything wrong with that as long as you are fine with losing money on the bag when you get tired of it, I am fine with that. I have only ever made profit of about 40 bucks and that was once on a bag I bought at a steal on the preloved circuit. All other bags I've sold I usually took a 40-50 percent loss. If you don't see yourself being ok with losing money on a bag then I would recommend sticking with more classic pieces you know you will use and love for a long long time.

Reactions: daysha
Op, I am sure that you mean buying to resell when bought from a LV store. I have bought all of my Louis Vuitton bags preowned from thrift stores and I list and sell them as soon as I acquire them. I have bought them for $25 or less a piece and resold for $200-250. Yes, they have all been authenticated by Caroldiva.

I have only kept a couple of Louis Vuitton bags for me which I have found in thrift stores. One of them I paid over $100, which is a lot for me, but I wanted that handbag.

I plan to walk into a LV store and buy one at full-price once I finish graduate school and I will keep it as a reminder of all my hard work and a gift to myself. [emoji1]

Last edited:
It was not until I became aware of the preloved market that I ever considered that there might be a worthwhile resale value for items other than antiques and cars. I choose carefully and buy most things with the intention of keeping for ever - seriously, I find it difficult to part with anything.
HOWEVER I have to admit that I am now conscious that I might be able to recoup the money I have spent on LV or H should I need to. Preloved Epi probably, yes; new Damier Infini probably, no.
If you have to take a loss, you can look at it as if it is a rental for the time you have had the use of an item.

I never have any intention to buy something from LV with intention to make money by reselling later on. Seem kinda odd for me to consider LV as a investment like that. When I want something from LV-I want to have pleasure to have it and wear it for as long as I can.

I think it fine to sell it to part with a new one when the prior bag just doesn't have the novelty anymore like for the new bag being lusted after.

My problem is that I haven't found an LV bag that is 100% functional and pretty (to me). I sold one and made money on it. I have a few LV bags, but I would like to "tweak" them so I would be 100% happy. It's not practical to do that so I may sell most of them. I'm thinking of buying pre-loved (because I'm never happy). Neverfull PM, and Speedy B25 Empriente in black, but I need to do more research on these bags...i.e. any complaints by the owners??? I may risk getting a pre-loved Neverfull PM and tweaking it so I can attach a crossbody strap.

. I guess I'm slowly getting over my bag addiction, so function became #1.