Classic flap or Reissue?

Blumen

Aug 13, 2012
I am a newbie in Chanel world. Till now I own only a WOC. I would like to ask if you could only buy one Chanel flap, will it be a classic flap or a reissue? I could not make up my mind till now. Both of them are so nice.
Thanks a lot.

I love both. The reissue is understated only those that know Chanel will recognize it right away (its my everyday bag ), it can take a lot of "abuse". The classic is very recognizable, caviar is tough, lambskin is like butter, but I personally don't wear it everyday (its more special).
Also small tidbit reissue was fully designed by Coco and the classic was modified by Karl.
Try both and see what u love

I love both. The reissue is understated only those that know Chanel will recognize it right away (its my everyday bag ), it can take a lot of "abuse". The classic is very recognizable, caviar is tough, lambskin is like butter, but I personally don't wear it everyday (its more special).
Also small tidbit reissue was fully designed by Coco and the classic was modified by Karl.
Try both and see what u love

+1. This is such a tough decision! The first Chanel I lusted after was the Classic Flap. After I got a M/L CF and a WOC as my first Chanels, it took a while (and a the addition of a handful of other Classic Flaps and Boys) before I added a Reissue to my collection, but now that I have one I probably use it more than my Classic Flaps. I love that the Reissue can be worn crossbody and is easy to use for travel. However, if I could only keep one it would probably be the Classic Flap. GLD!

Thanks, ak3. I have tried both in the Boutique and I still could not decide which one I should buy. I live in a small city where no one, at least I have not seen anyone use Chanel. I love the contrast of the silver hardware on the black Cavier leather, while I don't know whether it is too loud or not. I love Reissue because of the history and it is, as you said, understated. I could imagine I will get more use of the Reissue. While is the Reissue wear well?

+1. This is such a tough decision! The first Chanel I lusted after was the Classic Flap. After I got a M/L CF and a WOC as my first Chanels, it took a while (and a the addition of a handful of other Classic Flaps and Boys) before I added a Reissue to my collection, but now that I have one I probably use it more than my Classic Flaps. I love that the Reissue can be worn crossbody and is easy to use for travel. However, if I could only keep one it would probably be the Classic Flap. GLD!

Can I ask the reason why will you keep CF even though you get less use of it?

Can I ask the reason why will you keep CF even though you get less use of it?

I suppose because it was my first Chanel love and it is still super versatile (can be dressed up and down easily, just no crossbody option). I feel as though my collection would be incomplete without the Classic Flap, but don't think I would feel that way without the Reissue...if that makes sense.

I suppose because it was my first Chanel love and it is still super versatile (can be dressed up and down easily, just no crossbody option). I feel as though my collection would be incomplete without the Classic Flap, but don't think I would feel that way without the Reissue...if that makes sense.
Thank you so much. I think I can understand it.

+1 My case was also very similar to Funbagz's case. I cannot imagine myself not having classic ml flaps in my Chanel collection but I could live without reissue. My first love was classic ml, then added more ml flaps in another leather/hardware, and Mini flap, GST, PST, WOC, Jumbo, Boy....then finally added a reissue many years later since my collection built. ML flaps are still the best and very special and important for me in my collection. Being say that, I love reissue that is very useful classic and as coco originally designed, many ladies went with reissues as their first Chanel and many reissue fans exist here. Both are beautiful classic. However, the best way is you try them on and compare both at same time and see in person which ones makes your heart beat. Good luck and please share with us which ones you would decide ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chanel7Chanel
+1 My case was also very similar to Funbagz's case. I cannot imagine myself not having classic ml flaps in my Chanel collection but I could live without reissue. My first love was classic ml, then added more ml flaps in another leather/hardware, and Mini flap, WOC, Jumbo, Boy....then finally added a reissue many years later since my collection built. Being say that, I love reissue that is very useful classic and as coco originally designed, many ladies went with reissues as their first Chanel and many reissue fans exist here. Both are beautiful classic. However, the best way is you try them on and compare both at same time and see in person which ones you're heart beat. Good luck and please share with us which ones you would decide ;)
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. :P

Reactions: shopgirl4cc
The Classic flap is perfect if your style is on the dressy side (even for everyday wear) and don't mind toting around a very recognizable bag. But if you prefer to be more casual and under the radar, the Reissue is the way to go. The hardware and leather combo also make a huge difference in the overall look and feel, so consider that carefully in your choice.

My first Chanel was a black lambskin m/l flap with ghw and it was gorgeous, but rarely got used because I felt it was a bit too dressy and the lambskin very delicate for daily, casual wear. If that had been a caviar flap in shw, it would probably have been used a lot more, but sadly I didn't know myself then to really make a good choice of bag. :doh: Nowadays I prefer the Reissue in the shw combo because it's more discreet and casual with the aged/wrinkled leather and lack of the prominent CC's.

Both are iconic and gorgeous, but how and where you use it should be the number one factor for your choice. Good luck deciding! :smile:

^ agree.
OP, I don't think you can go wrong if you listen to your heart. Everyone will have reasons why one or the other is better. Buy the one you know you will wear and love now. If you change your mind 2-5 yrs from now and prefers the other one instead, then that's OK. Everyone is entitled to change their mind when it comes to fashion/style.

Reactions: squidgee
i'm in the same situation. i have always wanted a classic because i like how it looks but didn't have the opportunity to get one (which i'm glad that i didn't get) as now, i'm leaning towards reissue. i love how it looks and yet, classy without being too dressy or attention seeking. so for this year, i will get a reissue when the right combination comes along. :biggrin:

Reactions: sajonara
I have only one Chanel bag & it's the Reissue (226 black w/ rhw).
I absolutely love this bag!! It looks so chic, classic and cool. I love that it can be worn cross body and the distressed calf skin is durable.
I thought I might want a classic flap also, but I'm so happy with my bag. It will probably be my only Chanel.
They're both beautiful bags, so there's no wrong choice. Good luck deciding