Retiro Or PM Help

Mousy

May 30, 2015
Those of you who own or have tried on the Retiro, is it just me or is it a heavy bag? I haven't used my Retiro in months. I wore it with my Speedy (pebbled calf) cross body strap, which is a little wider and more comfy. My neck and shoulder ached last night after only a couple of hours of shopping. I love it, but it just seems bulky now (too) and I'm thinking about selling it and getting a Mono PM or Reverse Mono PM. I'll still have plenty of room with a smaller bag. What do you think? Is the Retiro heavier than a PM? If you write for me to go for the PM, which do you prefer? Any PM nightmares with cracking?
I need to decide by Friday. I just called my SA and set aside a Rev Mono.

Those of you who own or have tried on the Retiro, is it just me or is it a heavy bag? I haven't used my Retiro in months. I wore it with my Speedy (pebbled calf) cross body strap, which is a little wider and more comfy. My neck and shoulder ached last night after only a couple of hours of shopping. I love it, but it just seems bulky now (too) and I'm thinking about selling it and getting a Mono PM or Reverse Mono PM. I'll still have plenty of room with a smaller bag. What do you think? Is the Retiro heavier than a PM? If you write for me to go for the PM, which do you prefer? Any PM nightmares with cracking?

Aloha! I also had the retiro pm but sold it because too much vachetta and i already had a speedy which held almost the same amount of items. I have the mono pm and love it! Less vachetta and gave me the option for hands free as well as hand held. GL!

Hello! May I borrow your thread to ask Retiro owners if they have had any problems with the sides of the bag when the long strap is frequently worn? I just brought a Retiro home and another lady warned me that if the long strap is used frequently (which I definitely intend to do) then the sides of the bag get pulled up, making the shape of the bag kinda strange. I'd very much like to know if anyone had any issues with that, or with the canvas cracking on the sides or anything like that. TIA!

Hello! May I borrow your thread to ask Retiro owners if they have had any problems with the sides of the bag when the long strap is frequently worn? I just brought a Retiro home and another lady warned me that if the long strap is used frequently (which I definitely intend to do) then the sides of the bag get pulled up, making the shape of the bag kinda strange. I'd very much like to know if anyone had any issues with that, or with the canvas cracking on the sides or anything like that. TIA!

Please do.

My Retiro, though not used for a couple of months, looks really good. It's almost a year old. The canvas is a little softer, but the bottom is still very structured- I carry a card wallet, a fabric coin purse, EPI Pen, reading glasses, keys and hand wipes.

I could see a Retiro becoming misshapen if a person carries a lot or wears it crossbody all the time. Canvas will do that. The leather corners help the bag keep its shape.

Over the past five or six years, I've experienced numerous bags with glazing issues. Mostly Empreinte and DE. EPI leather has always worked out well for me.

I haven't had glazing issues with the Retiro, I just find it heavy and cumbersome now. My mindset to sell it is not because I don't like it anymore; I really like the look. I think I've gotten used to other slightly smaller and lighter weight shoulder bags (that don't bang against my hip when I walk).

Don't be intimidated about exchanging a bag that hasn't been used. Customers need to be as sure as possible about their handbag purchases, given today's price points. Sometimes 15 minutes in a store with a SA hanging around doesn't make for a great decision making environment for some people.

Best of luck!

I truly appreciate your input 4Purse, Shoppinmel and ("Aloha!" back to you) HIgirl808.
Thank you. I'm checking out the PM (Mono and Rev Mono) on Friday.
Open to more opinions until then.
At this point, I'm leaning towards selling. Eeeek!

Please do.

My Retiro, though not used for a couple of months, looks really good. It's almost a year old. The canvas is a little softer, but the bottom is still very structured- I carry a card wallet, a fabric coin purse, EPI Pen, reading glasses, keys and hand wipes.

I could see a Retiro becoming misshapen if a person carries a lot or wears it crossbody all the time. Canvas will do that. The leather corners help the bag keep its shape.

Over the past five or six years, I've experienced numerous bags with glazing issues. Mostly Empreinte and DE. EPI leather has always worked out well for me.

I haven't had glazing issues with the Retiro, I just find it heavy and cumbersome now. My mindset to sell it is not because I don't like it anymore; I really like the look. I think I've gotten used to other slightly smaller and lighter weight shoulder bags (that don't bang against my hip when I walk).

Don't be intimidated about exchanging a bag that hasn't been used. Customers need to be as sure as possible about their handbag purchases, given today's price points. Sometimes 15 minutes in a store with a SA hanging around doesn't make for a great decision making environment for some people.

Best of luck!
Thank you VERY much for your input! The size doesn't bother me at all, since I was eyeing a Speedy B 30 (the World Tour version) several weeks ago and the Retiro seems to be a great alternative (I already own some Speedy Bs). It will also not be my everyday bag, as I do tend to constantly rotate my bags and I actually gravitate around my Speedy Bs. I just didn't want to exchange this bag because this is the second exchange already after two defective bags. I don't really mind sagging, I just don't want the canvas to be damaged. I don't intend to wear the Retiro crossbody, but rather over the shoulder. I doubt I'll ever use the top handles.
That said, I'll say that if you love the classic Pochette Métis, go for it. The two defective bags were an infrarouge PM and a reverse mono PM. I am strongly under the impression that LV wasn't very careful at all with these seasonal/LE PMs. A lot of people have already had issues with the infrarouge and I've seen a couple of ladies reporting problems with the reverse mono one (mine was with the glazing, but the other two said the print on the reverse mono flap was kinda blurry and not well made). I actually intended to come home with a classic PM, but these two episodes made me feel a bit uneasy about this bag and I decided to postpone purchasing it. Hope I could help in some way.

Hi Sonmi! I've been following your debacle with the PM, and just wanted to add my thoughts on the Retiro.

My aunt has the one with black trim - she's had it for about a year now, I think. But her bag still looks great. I've seen her wear it both handheld and with the strap, and while it's become a little more slouchy as the canvas has softened up a bit, it still looks beautiful. If fact, I'm hoping she'll get tired of it and hand it down to me... LOL. It's a really nice bag, and also this is the one bag that I have not heard of any issues here on tPF. I'm sorry about what happened to your PMs, but honestly I think Retiro is a winner - and you should just enjoy your bag and don't worry about issues happening :flowers:

Hi Sonmi! I've been following your debacle with the PM, and just wanted to add my thoughts on the Retiro.

My aunt has the one with black trim - she's had it for about a year now, I think. But her bag still looks great. I've seen her wear it both handheld and with the strap, and while it's become a little more slouchy as the canvas has softened up a bit, it still looks beautiful. If fact, I'm hoping she'll get tired of it and hand it down to me... LOL. It's a really nice bag, and also this is the one bag that I have not heard of any issues here on tPF. I'm sorry about what happened to your PMs, but honestly I think Retiro is a winner - and you should just enjoy your bag and don't worry about issues happening :flowers:
Thanks a lot for your support, doll! I think I don't really mind the slouch, I'm kinda used to it because of my Speedies, I just worry about the canvas cracking on the sides or something like that. But since I still haven't seen anyone saying that here on TPF, I'll assume this just doesn't commonly happen, it's not a known issue :smile: thank God!

Reactions: luxurista
I've had my Retiro in raisin for about 8 or 9 months now. I think it is a light bag but it is very roomy and if you fill it up, it would have to be heavy. I try to be careful not to be seduced into filling it up. [emoji6] The shoulder strap is very skinny and very long so heavy on a tiny strap would have to be uncomfortable unless you hand-carry. I haven't had any issues with deforming it from using the shoulder strap but I don't overload it and I use the shoulder strap about half of the time. [emoji4]

Hope that helps!

I've had my Retiro in raisin for about 8 or 9 months now. I think it is a light bag but it is very roomy and if you fill it up, it would have to be heavy. I try to be careful not to be seduced into filling it up. [emoji6] The shoulder strap is very skinny and very long so heavy on a tiny strap would have to be uncomfortable unless you hand-carry. I haven't had any issues with deforming it from using the shoulder strap but I don't overload it and I use the shoulder strap about half of the time. [emoji4]

Hope that helps!
It does help, thanks! I don't tend to overfill my bags, because I don't usually carry much. My everyday bags are my Speedy B 25s and my daily stuff fits with no problem. :smile:

Hi there- I have a Retiro Cerise NM a lit more than a year now, and yes, I also went to the mall last weekend and its soooooo heavy, I always regret taking her out.. afffff...

Reactions: HandbagDiva354
I had the Retiro when it first came out. It's a lovely bag but very heavy, I ended up selling it.
I was going to say the same thing. I haven't sold mine yet but it is my biggest LV purchase regret. Beautiful bag but because of the weight I've only carried it 5 or 6 times in a year.

I don't carry a lot either.

Mine started to sag a few months after purchase.

I was going to say the same thing. I haven't sold mine yet but it is my biggest LV purchase regret. Beautiful bag but because of the weight I've only carried it 5 or 6 times in a year.

I went to the store to get a speedy B at the time, but couldn't resist the retiro, structured, red Made in France... do you think the speedy B is going to hurt like the retiro ? I dont carry much, wallet mini pochete and cell.. basically that... I can't take the retiro, at the mall I kept changing shoulders, arms and crossed body... just awful

Reactions: HandbagDiva354