Your 2017 wardrobe resolutions?

mellecyn

O.G.
Feb 28, 2006
Any plans/goals?
Mine are :
-to buy less and more conscious (no fast fashion, check the manufacturing place of the garment). Prioritize brands like Everlane, Ekyog (French)....
-not succumb to every trend. Observe and select one item of one trend.
-continue my minimalist wardrobe project and make better use of the things I own
-like the kon Mari method, keep the stuff I love. Sell or give the rest.

Mine are:

1. Clear out my closet, keep things that I really love and wear, let go of things that I have only kept for nostalgic reasons or because they cost a lot of money.
2. Buy fewer pieces overall, and only items that are well made, with high quality materials and workmanship.
3. Wear what I love, don't "save" things for the future or for special occasions.

Rebuild my wardrobe with nicer textiles and more sophisticated styles. Many items are reaching the end of their lifecycles (too worn, or I'm getting tired of the style) and I'll need to make several replacements in the coming months. I'm starting to look into brands like Reiss, Vince, Theory, and Eileen Fisher since my previous go-to brands are now relying heavily on synthetic fabrics (sigh), and wearing quality fabrics makes each day that much more comfortable and enjoyable.

Rebuild my wardrobe with nicer textiles and more sophisticated styles. Many items are reaching the end of their lifecycles (too worn, or I'm getting tired of the style) and I'll need to make several replacements in the coming months. I'm starting to look into brands like Reiss, Vince, Theory, and Eileen Fisher since my previous go-to brands are now relying heavily on synthetic fabrics (sigh), and wearing quality fabrics makes each day that much more comfortable and enjoyable.
It´s great you could keep the things til the end of their lifecycles! I used to be able to do that when I had the same weight/shape for many years but a sudden bump in weight forced me to replace absolutely everything and it did cost me a bit!
Quality fabrics are really enjoyable, the only downside is the care. Also sometimes Polyester is good because it doesn´t wrinkle.

My resolution is to be aware that I have Enough of Everything. Enough jeans, tee shirts, nice dresses, lingerie, shoes, accessories, makeup and did I say shoes already? I went on a spending spree at Net A Porter at the end of the year, and I'm just sort of sick of everything now. I filled the last holes in my shoe collection. So really...my resolution is to enjoy what I have, make the most of it, and use yoga to fill myself with peace and joy rather than using consumable items. I will also continue to curate (including old Indian fancy clothes I haven't worn in years), and probably cycle things out of my main closet to a backup closet to create a sense of space and focus and help me determine what's important.

Any plans/goals?
Mine are :
-to buy less and more conscious (no fast fashion, check the manufacturing place of the garment). Prioritize brands like Everlane, Ekyog (French)....
-not succumb to every trend. Observe and select one item of one trend.
-continue my minimalist wardrobe project and make better use of the things I own
-like the kon Mari method, keep the stuff I love. Sell or give the rest.

Mine are:

1. Clear out my closet, keep things that I really love and wear, let go of things that I have only kept for nostalgic reasons or because they cost a lot of money.
2. Buy fewer pieces overall, and only items that are well made, with high quality materials and workmanship.
3. Wear what I love, don't "save" things for the future or for special occasions.

My resolution is to be aware that I have Enough of Everything. Enough jeans, tee shirts, nice dresses, lingerie, shoes, accessories, makeup and did I say shoes already? I went on a spending spree at Net A Porter at the end of the year, and I'm just sort of sick of everything now. I filled the last holes in my shoe collection. So really...my resolution is to enjoy what I have, make the most of it, and use yoga to fill myself with peace and joy rather than using consumable items. I will also continue to curate (including old Indian fancy clothes I haven't worn in years), and probably cycle things out of my main closet to a backup closet to create a sense of space and focus and help me determine what's important.

All that and also to buy the things I really want/need discounted. Mainly clothes and such. Didn't know that even major brands do sales, seasonal discounts till recently.

Reactions: ladysarah
Interestingly I'm really into fashion and always check out the trend reports, magazines, bloggers insta etc...so while I try to limit to what is the essence of my style, I'm trying to mix in a few trendy items, otherwise I'm afraid of boring!! last year totally on a whim buying crazy 90s stuff at Topshop thinking I'd made a mistake I ended defining my 2016 style just with these few crazy items...so weird?! Thinking and planning or go w heart /intuition??

I've realised I have a lot of clothes that are great for work but not many things suitable for casual wear, so I'll be working on building up some casual wardrobe staples. I have also been shockingly negligent in the shoe department for basically my whole life so I'm going to start building up a decent shoe collection for all occasions, from sneakers to pumps!

Good luck everyone with your 2017 goals!

I'm realizing I have a lot of basics and classic pieces, but not many things that are a little different, edgy or special. So I guess my resolution is to NOT buy any more navy or black basic sweaters, for example, and hold out for something with a little extra interest.

It´s great you could keep the things til the end of their lifecycles! I used to be able to do that when I had the same weight/shape for many years but a sudden bump in weight forced me to replace absolutely everything and it did cost me a bit!
Quality fabrics are really enjoyable, the only downside is the care. Also sometimes Polyester is good because it doesn´t wrinkle.
I'm petite and used to have a difficult time finding anything that fit properly, much less had much personality. If I found something nice, I would wear it to death because it might be a while before other suitable pieces came along. Thank goodness there are more choices for people my size on the market now.

Reactions: papertiger