Champagne gold vs light gold HW

kikirabbit

Jul 1, 2015
Are these the same type of hardware colours? I want to get a bag in gold hardware and I know there are many types (antique gold, brushed gold, etc)

I can tell most of them look different except for champagne gold vs light gold. Are they the same?

I think they're synonymous but I could be wrong. I would love to know as well because I myself use those two terms interchangeably.
same. actually even the SAs referred to my bag as having champagne ghw - from fall 2016 collection. On the forum for reveals of the same bag, other members referred to it with lghw. so i would also love to know if there is a difference!

OK, so I never really gave it lots of thought... until now. So I went back to my own bags that had different kinds of gold hardware (those that were not just the regular/standard gold hardware), and frankly I'm surprised at how different they all were and shocked that I just never paid attention (I'm like oooh pretty hardware that look great with the leather color...! and didn't get too much further than that and called most of it whatever word came to mind like antique and never even considered brushed gold!) :lol:

Here are the pictures and what I think they are below by comparison. You guys be the judge.... Please see the photos and I put down what I think they are hardware color wise and let me know if you agree/what you think?

1. I know "for sure" that my ultimate camellia brooch is champagne gold hardware. you can see that it's definitely a champagne gold (i can literally come up with no other color that can better describe it) and under any/every kind of lighting it's champagne gold (e.g., you would never see it as silver or dark gold or brushed gold, etc.).

2. I know that my lamb mini o case pouch and my 17C black mini are definitely Light gold hardware - the color look very pale shiny gold vs. silver in different lighting. (so that alone makes me think that there IS a difference between light gold vs. champagne gold - at least in Chanel terms. I was playing around with that bag considering it - it definitely has champagne gold hardware (e.g., definitely not the same as the light gold hardware I have on my 17C black mini nor my mini-Ocase).

Here's the funny thing, because of OP's comment, I realized I never thought about the difference between "brushed" gold vs. "antique" gold either and simply have been calling 2 of my recent purchases both antique gold. Now that I actually paid attention to them, I actually saw a difference and think that my pink chevron mini and my beige vanity case are perhaps better described as:
3. "brushed" gold (their hardware look same to me?), and
4. my bubble CC pearlescent pink is more of what best described as antique gold? (definitely a darker color/shade than the almost "champagne like" soft brushed gold hardware)

Chanel certainly over complicate colors both on leather and on hardware for people! :P On a mini that I recently got, the hardware on the tag says "White metal", I do like it though, it's a really shiny bright and lighter shade of silver... go figure!
====
1. champagne gold hardware on camellia brooch:
2016-08-06 19.27.20.jpg

2. Light gold hardware on mini-O-case and 17C black mini:
Mini-o-case.jpg

17C blk mini_LGHW_resized.jpg

3. Brushed gold (17c chevron pink mini bag & beige filigree mini vanity case):
Pinkie2front.jpg 2016-04-24 22.24.28_resized.jpg

4. Antique gold hardware on the Bubble CC mini in pearlescent pink:
Bubble CC resized.jpg

Reactions: MsModernShopper
Here's a bonus photo of bronze hardware from my 16B tweed bag (BTW I looove this hardware color, it looks even more stunning IRL, closer but more "rich" in color than the first photo below. The 2nd photo is with flash so a bit "washed out".

The hardware IRL is extremely smooth and shiny in a rich deeper bronze color that doesn't come across in my photos due to the poor yellow lighting when this was taken - sorry very lazy to get bags out to take photos again once I put them away from initial photo documentation :P ):

20160626_174318-2.jpg

Attachments

• 20160626_174514_001.jpg
    20160626_174514_001.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 2,232
OK, so I never really gave it lots of thought... until now. So I went back to my own bags that had different kinds of gold hardware (those that were not just the regular/standard gold hardware), and frankly I'm surprised at how different they all were and shocked that I just never paid attention (I'm like oooh pretty hardware that look great with the leather color...! and didn't get too much further than that and called most of it whatever word came to mind like antique and never even considered brushed gold!) [emoji38]

Here are the pictures and what I think they are below by comparison. You guys be the judge.... Please see the photos and I put down what I think they are hardware color wise and let me know if you agree/what you think?

1. I know "for sure" that my ultimate camellia brooch is champagne gold hardware. you can see that it's definitely a champagne gold (i can literally come up with no other color that can better describe it) and under any/every kind of lighting it's champagne gold (e.g., you would never see it as silver or dark gold or brushed gold, etc.).

2. I know that my lamb mini o case pouch and my 17C black mini are definitely Light gold hardware - the color look very pale shiny gold vs. silver in different lighting. (so that alone makes me think that there IS a difference between light gold vs. champagne gold - at least in Chanel terms. I was playing around with that bag considering it - it definitely has champagne gold hardware (e.g., definitely not the same as the light gold hardware I have on my 17C black mini nor my mini-Ocase).

Here's the funny thing, because of OP's comment, I realized I never thought about the difference between "brushed" gold vs. "antique" gold either and simply have been calling 2 of my recent purchases both antique gold. Now that I actually paid attention to them, I actually saw a difference and think that my pink chevron mini and my beige vanity case are perhaps better described as:
3. "brushed" gold (their hardware look same to me?), and
4. my bubble CC pearlescent pink is more of what best described as antique gold? (definitely a darker color/shade than the almost "champagne like" soft brushed gold hardware)

Chanel certainly over complicate colors both on leather and on hardware for people! [emoji14] On a mini that I recently got, the hardware on the tag says "White metal", I do like it though, it's a really shiny bright and lighter shade of silver... go figure!
====
1. champagne gold hardware on camellia brooch:
View attachment 3562661

2. Light gold hardware on mini-O-case and 17C black mini:
View attachment 3562665

View attachment 3562667

3. Brushed gold (17c chevron pink mini bag & beige filigree mini vanity case):
View attachment 3562676 View attachment 3562680

4. Antique gold hardware on the Bubble CC mini in pearlescent pink:
View attachment 3562686
Thank you so much for the detailed post and comparison pics!

Yes Chanel certainly complicates things... the different leather and hardware combos look lovely though.

I think of brushed gold as a deliberate matte gold that looks clean, and antique gold has a more tarnished look to it.