To sole protect or not to sole protect?

Tivo

O.G.
Sep 14, 2013
Hello all!
There was a time - when I was a CL newbie - that preserving that glossy red bottom of the shoe was so important.

Now I find sole protectors somewhat tacky looking. I'd rather see the sole look as its been worn. And believe it or not that's one of my considerations when buying a used pair...except if the shoe is totally raggedy.

Anyone else feel this way?

I appreciate this thread because I just bought my first pair and decided not to protect the sole, and it's starting to show wear just from walking around on my wood floors ... so it makes me feel better about that decision :biggrin:

Reactions: MahaM and Tivo
Yeah, I think many sellers of previously worn shoes put them on to hide the actual wear..... so they can say " worn only once"..... and yes, they do make the shoes look cheap..... I also prefer the gradual wear of the red soles and do not have issues when it is worn out....the rest of the red does not wear out....so still has the look anyway....

I like to re-sole pre-owned pairs if the seller has not done so. The reason for that is, I feel it refreshes the shoe and gives it more life. I do like the feeling of re-soled shoes because they are less slippery. However, I will not re-sole a brand new pair before wearing them. I have a light step, have many pairs to rotate and limit the distances and time worn, so the soles have minimal scuffs. I like knowing that I'm the one who has worn done a sole.

As far as finding sole protectors tacky looking, I do not have a problem with Vibram, Topy or any other brand red sole. The ones that I have disdain for are the small, usually grey anti-slip soles that people sometimes use. I know people just want to feel secure and not have slippery shoes, but those make me cringe for some reason.

Yeah, l'm not understanding those who obsese with repainting their soles.....I actually think the part of the soles that do not wear off( the curved part) is what one sees anyway and not the part that actually touches the ground and wears off....

Hi everyone, I just purchased my first pair of CL - the infamous Pigalle in patent black. Before wearing them out I really don't know if I should get the Protect Your Pumps clear stickers, but i've read conflicting reviews on PYP (that they take off the red paint).

I wonder if I should just start wearing them out and let the red sole wear first, then go to the cobbler and get protective soles put on once the original sole has signs of wear. From my previous designer shoes (Valentino) experience, I notice the cobbler would grind the smooth sole in other to add the protective sole and that pinched my stomach ><
Now does anyone add the metal toe tip under the shoes to protect the pointy toe?

Thanks sooooo much!!