Help me decide - garden party or bv initials tote

Shelly319

May 13, 2015
Hi all, I'm in need of a new tote ASAP. I have tired of lv and my Goyard St. Louis has cracked handles after three months of light use (love the bag, hate the quality). I need a new tote that I don't have to baby and will last. I am pondering between the garden party 36 and bv initials tote. I am a small person so I could carry the garden party over my shoulder. Which would you choose and why and do you have any other suggestions and I would love to see your garden party in gold or black in the 36 carried over the shoulder! I have also thought about mansur Gavriel but have had two of their bags and thought the quality of their bags was also not very good. Other than than the Gucci marmont I am not a fan of Gucci and I don't like anything flashy like Valentino with studs. Looking for something understated and pebbled and no chain straps. Thanks so much!

I don't have the GP or the BV initials, but I use the large BV Parachute as my winter bag - it's large and roomy with comfortable straps. The base is a bit wide, and I was afraid it would be uncomfortable under my arm, but it kinda gets pushed back by my arm, rather than under.

Cons: With the hardware and sturdy handle it is heavy compared to a veneta or other lighter BV bags. I use a purse insert to keep all my things together and still have to fish for my keys at the bottom.

I considered a Goyard or Neverful but think the straps are too thin for comfort compared to the size and what I would carry in them.

Reactions: Shelly319
T
I don't have the GP or the BV initials, but I use the large BV Parachute as my winter bag - it's large and roomy with comfortable straps. The base is a bit wide, and I was afraid it would be uncomfortable under my arm, but it kinda gets pushed back by my arm, rather than under.

Cons: With the hardware and sturdy handle it is heavy compared to a veneta or other lighter BV bags. I use a purse insert to keep all my things together and still have to fish for my keys at the bottom.

I considered a Goyard or Neverful but think the straps are too thin for comfort compared to the size and what I would carry in them.

Thank you! Will need to check it out!

Honestly, I had 2 Garden Partys in leather and size 36s. I found them to be my least-favorite H bag. The straps are not comfortable, the leather quality is not up to par for H (Negonda), and they are too big and clumsy when the snaps are open on the sides. Sorry but that's how I felt. Plenty of people on this forum love them though.

I'd go for the BV Initials tote. I love BV so much!

Do you have a favorite? I'm seeing that the bv tote looks like it is sewn together and I need something more durable. I do not wish to buy a cabat because they are really expensive and then plummet in value. I don't understand why because bv has beautiful bags. I'm looking for a tote. Thanks!

Do you have a favorite? I'm seeing that the bv tote looks like it is sewn together and I need something more durable. I do not wish to buy a cabat because they are really expensive and then plummet in value. I don't understand why because bv has beautiful bags. I'm looking for a tote. Thanks!

What do you mean "looks like it is sewn together"? Aren't all bags sewn together somehow? If resale value is such an important factor then you may want to look at LV or Chanel as they keep their value better than BV although you will take a loss with pretty much any designer. Or buy something inexpensive but well made.

What do you mean "looks like it is sewn together"? Aren't all bags sewn together somehow? If resale value is such an important factor then you may want to look at LV or Chanel as they keep their value better than BV although you will take a loss with pretty much any designer. Or buy something inexpensive but well made.

Look at the ayers tote and initials bag carefully. There are panels of leather sewn together. Yes of course bags are sewn together but normally not along the sides of the bag. Look at the photos online from top down and you'll see what I mean. I was also told by a bv sa that the ayers and initials tote are not hardy bags and I ought to look at other bv bags. Resale isn't really important to me but it makes me think about whether a bag is really worth what a company is asking when you go on consignment sites and the bags are worth a third of what they were priced at originally. Of course with any designer bag other than the birkin the second you start using it it loses value. I have enough Chanel and Louis bags and I'm tired of things with logos. Hence why I started looking at bv. Thanks so much for your input.

Got it. I don't know if you have already done so but if not you may want to take a look Tod's. They are another high end designer brand that is really under the radar and has minimal hardware without logos. Their leathers are beautiful and their tote bags extremely well made and long wearing. I am VERY rough on my bags, especially tote bags and my totes from Tod's have held up beautifully.

Instead of the initials tote, I very much prefer this tote linked below! It looks like it's very well made and can fit a lot. I have only one BV bag, the pillow crossbody, and several SLGs and the leather has aged like fine wine for me.

http://www.bottegaveneta.com/us/tote-bag_cod45278199vn.html

Instead of the initials tote, I very much prefer this tote linked below! It looks like it's very well made and can fit a lot. I have only one BV bag, the pillow crossbody, and several SLGs and the leather has aged like fine wine for me.

http://www.bottegaveneta.com/us/tote-bag_cod45278199vn.html

I love this tote but do not wish to spend that much on a new tote. I love BV but what drives me crazy is the how much the price falls in comparison to other lux items the second you purchase it and how much they cut prices at the end of the season. Of course this doesn't happen with staple colors but the seasonal colors but still. I have seen the 3900 totes go for as little as 1300 new on neimans of Saks! And even outlet prices are sometimes 1/2 when they have special sales.

I have BV (though not an Initial) and Hermes including a (VC) GP.

I love my leather GP, it's one of my most loved and used H bags. One of the things I like most are the rolled handles which are very strong going all the way around the bag. It won't go over most people's shoulders particularly when wearing outerwear but then it's not supposed to.

IMO the Double Sens is more comparable to the BV I so if you like the look and soft-structure that's the H bag to be looking at.