Rolex 36 or 31mm for a woman

Shelly319

May 13, 2015
I am planning on purchasing a Rolex for my mom and she has been wanting the 36 but I think that one will look to big on her. For you Rolex owners, what do you have and can you post photos please of the 31 and 36 on your wrist? I'd love to see steel watches with the fluted and plain bezel. She wants the plain with jubilee bracelet but I think she should go Classic Rolex with the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet in a 31. She is about five four and 100 pounds with small wrists.

Here are the watches on my wrist with the plain bezel. I'm a bit heavier than my mom but wrist sizes are very similar.

Attachments

• IMG_8769.JPG
    IMG_8769.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 1,604
  • IMG_8768.JPG
    IMG_8768.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 1,582
I only have an opinion based on your pictures for what it's worth. I personally don't like the oversized watch look on women. I think the 31 looks best on you. What are her other watches like? If they are all oversized and she's happy, get the 36. Good luck deciding! You're a super sweet daughter for the great gift!

Thank you for your input!

I would get what she wants.

I agree, get her what she wants but make sure that the weight of the 36mm will be comfortable for her long term. I own two 31 mm Rolexes and they are a great weight, not too heavy at all. I have owned watches in 36 mm and 38 mm and ended up selling them all due to how heavy and clunky they feel (to me) after awhile. Lesson learned, I don't buy anything over 33mm now. Also, make sure the lugs don't hang off the ends of her wrist. They should sit flat on top. That will be way more comfortable for her and looks much better than having gaps.

I agree, get her what she wants but make sure that the weight of the 36mm will be comfortable for her long term. I own two 31 mm Rolexes and they are a great weight, not too heavy at all. I have owned watches in 36 mm and 38 mm and ended up selling them all due to how heavy and clunky they feel (to me) after awhile. Lesson learned, I don't buy anything over 33mm now. Also, make sure the lugs don't hang off the ends of her wrist. They should sit flat on top. That will be way more comfortable for her and looks much better than having gaps.

Never thought of these issues. Thank you for this input. When I put the 36 on I felt it was too heavy too. I don't own a Rolex myself because I like watches with leather straps. I think rolexes are beautiful though so perhaps one day I will change my mind!

For reference...I have a tiny wrist and this is what my Tag looks like on my wrist. Maybe I'm used to it but I don't find it too big at all.
That being said it's whatever your Mom's comfortable with. What a great daughter you are! :flowers:
View attachment 3552281

Thank you for posting for reference! No it's not me that's great; it's my mom. She sacrificed a lot for me sending me to the best schools as a kid and also paying for college and graduate school. This is truly the least I could and can continue to do for her. She came here with very little over forty years ago and now runs a successful business. I love her so much and look up to her. I can never thank her enough.

Reactions: Gambs and skyqueen