Decisions decisions...- Reissue chevron

Hi everyone, sorry I know this question (or at least a variation of it) has been asked multiple times in the past, but I'm hoping TPFers can come to the rescue of my dilemma....my husband is going crazy over my indecisiveness :confused1:

So I'm in Paris now, and will be for 2 more days before heading to London for several more days, and then heading back home to the US. I immediately went to Rue Cambon when I arrived on the first day. I was on a mission to find the Reissue 225 (small) chevron in beige, exactly like the one melinmelbourne had posted on YouTube and mentioned by several others on this forum. What can I say? It sure is a beauty!! Here is a photo again for reference (courtesy of melinmelbourne...I just took a screenshot of her video)
image.png

I suspected that given this is from a previous collection (I think pre-fall 2016?), the chances would be slim...and I was right. The only chevron reissues left in the store were navy with GHW in small, burgundy with GHW in medium, and black with SHW in both small and medium. I already have a black caviar WOC with SHW and a black caviar old medium boy with ruthenium, so I was definitely in the market for some other neutral color that can go well with all colors of clothing, as well as something versatile for casual wear with jeans, but also appropriate for fancier events like weddings. Long story short, I ended up purchasing the burgundy. Here's a couple of photos including a mod shot:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

When I asked the SA for the beige small, she immediately told me it is no longer available, and that no stores in Paris would have it. She was a very nice and patient SA, and I really enjoyed working with her, so I don't want to doubt her, but she also answered right away without checking inventory in the system (I hear they can check inventory for all other stores in the same country?). But this is my first time purchasing at Chanel in Paris, so I don't want to assume anything. I do have a few questions though:

1) is it safe to assume that the SA was right about it being sold out all over, strictly because the color and combo was from a previous collection? Or do you think she said it so I would give up looking for it and choose something else in the store instead?

2) what are your thoughts on this bag? I never had my heart set out for a red bag, but it is growing on me. I have to say that the color and GHW go well together. It is in a bigger size than I originally wanted though. What do you think of the size for my 5'4" height? Is it too big for formal events? And I've never had a red bag before either....do you think this particular combo is versatile enough to work with all colors (clothing) AND occasions??

3) Or do I dare give up the bag now (it is 14 day return policy, right??), and cross my fingers that I may find the small chevron beige when I go to London??? What would be my chances there?

TIA for your honest advice and thoughts!!!

Reactions: Acctt
I'm going to give you my honest opinion on this. :smile:

I don't think the SA knows for a fact if the beige one is out of stock without checking.

I think if you have your heart set on the beige reissue 224, 225 or 226, you should have called Chanel customer service 1-800 # and ask if they know of a store that still has stock of that pre-fall bag and if they located one in Paris and UK, ask the store to hold for you and pick it up.

That said, the burgundy reissue is gorgeous. I like the color against the aged gold hardware. I also think that this color combo works REALLY well in the aged calfskin and in the reissue style (more than the classic CC style). Also, while many ppl say red can be hard to wear/pair with outfits, I think it's dependent on 2 things: 1) personality - some ppl are more comfortable with basic simple outfits and a bright/loud bag is just not for them (and that's not just red, it's any bright colors I would think), After all, you look good when you feel good and vice versa 2) the shade of red - I think this shade of red or more specifically burgundy - which really is not red - is VERY wearable IMO. I think it's sort of a like a brown but prettier and versatile like a dark brown bag.

Based on what you said about your collection, which is mostly black w/SHW, a burgundy with aged gold sounds like a perfect complement to your collection.

That said, I do feel that the 226 or 227 size to me looks more of a casual day to day bag (which by the way this particular burgundy reissue in this size is PERFECT for - it's not a good day to day bag, it's an AWESOME standout day to day bag IMO). I do not, however, feel the size is optimal as an evening bag. I believe the 224 or 225 size in a light color (pink, beige) or dark neutral (navy, black) or metallic color would be versatile and elegant options to wear with something very dressed up/evening events.

I do hope you keep this bag - it's a great one. I also always feel that black and burgundy are just simply the most quintessential Chanel colors - they got the burgundy shade perfect on this one. If you often dress in dark colors (like you are in the photo) then this bag really pop in a nice/not obnoxious way. It really complement your look well in the photo. You would probably get more use out of this bag than something that you end up getting to use for the occasional evening events, but not enough for daily functions. But if you don't carry much around with you on a normal basis, the 225 I find to be most versatile size that work best for both day and evening. I love my 225 but I only carry the essentials (keys, card case holder for cash & cards, tiny pouch holding lipstick concealer and a hair tie, and my phone.).

Good luck deciding and HTH.

If it helps any I saw the 225 size in the beige chevron you were originally after in Selfridges London a couple of weeks ago-maybe you could call them to check if they still have it to hold for you since you're heading to London soon anyway [emoji4]

Reactions: aki_sato
If it helps any I saw the 225 size in the beige chevron you were originally after in Selfridges London a couple of weeks ago-maybe you could call them to check if they still have it to hold for you since you're heading to London soon anyway [emoji4]
I also want to add that the bag is the display one (I had a PS hunting one for me and found out Selfridges has one. She confirmed that it's a display and if that doesn't bother me, I should go ahead as it's such a beautiful bag!)
Not wanting to take the risk, I decided to pass. However since you will be heading to London soon, you should check it out!
There could be nothing is wrong with the bag, it's just me not able to get over the bag has been shown and handled since Prefall :biggrin:
Good luck!!

I'm going to give you my honest opinion on this. :smile:

Thanks so much for your detailed response and analysis, I really appreciate it!! You made some really good points there. I do agree that I will probably get more use out of this as a day to day bag. If so, I wear dark jeans mostly, and wonder if this will end up to be a better option than the beige, due to risk of color transfer?

I also want to add that the bag is the display one (I had a PS hunting one for me and found out Selfridges has one. She confirmed that it's a display and if that doesn't bother me, I should go ahead as it's such a beautiful bag!)
Not wanting to take the risk, I decided to pass. However since you will be heading to London soon, you should check it out!
There could be nothing is wrong with the bag, it's just me not able to get over the bag has been shown and handled since Prefall :biggrin:
Good luck!!

Thanks for the heads up, rakhee81 and aki_sato! I will definitely try to make my way to Selfridges to see the bag in person, hopefully it will still be there when I arrive :amuse:

As of now, I'm leaning towards keeping the burgundy just because of the size and risk of color transfer. I feel like I already play Tetris with my stuff in the WOC and old medium boy, so it may be nice to have a slightly larger bag where I don't have to restrict what I carry. But I'd still really want a beige or light color one for special occasions. Depending on the condition of the one in Selfridges and whether my husband will allow me to get ANOTHER Chanel if I do fall in love with it :biggrin:, I may also go with a slightly more affordable option, like the YSL chevron wallet on chain in pink / blush.

The burgundy is really lovely! It's better choice for everyday due to color transfer....Good luck London with the beige chevron reissues! I hope it works out for you!

We are the same height and 226 fits me perfectly, however it's more of a day bag indeed; the 225 fits you well and serves more occassions than 226 (day & evening).
Colour-wise, I know that you are into the beige one... one thing to be considered is the colour transfer... as beige is a light shade... you do have to be careful when you wear dark-coloured clothes. Burgundy is more care-free in this case.