Dating a vintage Kelly

One of the reasons that I love vintage Kelly bags.... The patina & the leather is so luscious & frankly it doesn't
make any difference the age because this is one bag that gets better with age, IMO
Enjoy this & a wonderful memento as well

Reactions: Tonimichelle
image.jpeg
Your Kelly is very pretty and the patina/color is wonderful.
Brace yourself for the handle replacement estimate. It's the most costly repair.
Thank you, having read up on here I know the handle replacement is pretty pricey, as I didn't realise it was an issue when I dropped the bag off I didn't mention it for repair so I don't know if they will automatically recommend it if it needs doing, I hope so. It isn't too bad I don't think, but my knowledge is very limited! I suspect though that if it isn't done now it will need doing at a later date. What do you think? Replace now, or wait?

If it were me, I would keep as much of the bag original. My Kelly which is circa 1950's has some mild cracking on the handle and I just purchased a lovely Twilly for the handle. I remove it periodically to moisturize the handle.

Mistikat is correct in stating the color may not be exact, besides they look pretty with a Twilly!

image.jpeg Thank you everyone :smile: I have just received my estimate and I think I am going to go ahead with it all as it will mean sending the bag away for several months again at a later date if not, and if I know something really has been recommended for repair then it will bug me until I do it!
The handle price is roughly what I expected. I didn't expect the lock plate to need replacing but according to the covering email it is very loose and likely to break if not.

Reactions: PJW5813
If it were me, I would keep as much of the bag original. My Kelly which is circa 1950's has some mild cracking on the handle and I just purchased a lovely Twilly for the handle. I remove it periodically to moisturize the handle.

Mistikat is correct in stating the color may not be exact, besides they look pretty with a Twilly!

The craftsperson at H always recommends twillies to wrap old handles when worn although she also said I should always remove after use.

I'm glad you found a suitable twilly for your mid-century Kelly, I've a huge problem finding one for my vintage bags.

View attachment 3547954 Thank you everyone :smile: I have just received my estimate and I think I am going to go ahead with it all as it will mean sending the bag away for several months again at a later date if not, and if I know something really has been recommended for repair then it will bug me until I do it!
The handle price is roughly what I expected. I didn't expect the lock plate to need replacing but according to the covering email it is very loose and likely to break if not.
Your kelly will feel brand new but with that lovely patina'd leather.
Congratulations!!

I get exactly what you mean about retaining originality, it's just I'm such a worrier I think it will always bother me until I fix it! Twillys look so pretty when I see them on here but I'm very much a jeans person and I'm not sure if I'd find it a bit girly for me :blush:. Is your Kelly rouge h? I'd love to see a photo of it with the twilly if possible please?

I get exactly what you mean about retaining originality, it's just I'm such a worrier I think it will always bother me until I fix it! Twillys look so pretty when I see them on here but I'm very much a jeans person and I'm not sure if I'd find it a bit girly for me :blush:. Is your Kelly rouge h? I'd love to see a photo of it with the twilly if possible please?

I'm a jeans person as well and don't think a twilly is girlie girl at all. A nice canvas strap also makes it casual.

Attachments

• IMG_4440.JPG
    IMG_4440.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 376