Cavalli to design for H&M!!

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
From fashionista.com
Italian designer Roberto Cavalli will be the next designer for H&M!
Cavalli follows Karl Lagerfeld, Stella McCartney, and Viktor & Rolf - oh yes, Madonna too - in the H&M diffusion club. British Vogue reveals his designs are expected to hit stores this winter, right between Temperly for Target and Erin Fetherston for Target.

While Cavalli's recent cowboy kick might translate well into a mass market line, it's tough to see his signature dresses, which are skin-tight and often stuffed with feathers, becoming something cheaper.
It's also fun to wonder who will model this collection - Kate Moss was supposed to do Stella's H&M line, but then the cocaine happened and H&M vetoed her.

Raquelle Zimmerman helped out Viktor & Rolf by wearing their giant wedding dress in the print campaign. And now Kate Moss is the face of Cavalli... but it seems unlikely she'd front an H&M collection, especially since her designs for TopShop will continue hitting stores through next year.
Maybe Heidi Klum, whose family vacations with Cavalli's, will strike a pose?

I hope not, either. However, he IS a designer (unlike Madonna, which was disappointing both in sales for H&M and the public) and they seem to do fairly well with H&M. Stella and V&R were both hugely successful!

I like Cavalli, but his (extravagant) designs (embroidery, sequins and crazy prints) only look good if they are produced with the highest quality possible. High quality=high price, and sadly H&M is not know for either.

I agree with Wentworth-Roth.... I have serious doubts that the collection will look good. Cavalli is too over the top and flamboyant. He gets away with it because of the high quality. On low quality materials, it will look like cheap lingerie ... can you imagine a leopard or tiger print polyester dress?

I like Cavalli, but his (extravagant) designs (embroidery, sequins and crazy prints) only look good if they are produced with the highest quality possible. High quality=high price, and sadly H&M is not know for either.
Yeah, I think it's a thin line between class and trash with his creations, with a cheap quick desing this may easily be crossed. Also his creations aren't for everyone and not every body shape and colour can easily take his explosion of colour, print etc.

Here's a video with comments:

http://nutria.msn.no/specials/hm/podcast.aspx

I hope not, either. However, he IS a designer (unlike Madonna, which was disappointing both in sales for H&M and the public) and they seem to do fairly well with H&M. Stella and V&R were both hugely successful!

Good point....I didn't like Madonna's collection very much. But I didn't get to see Stella or Viktor and Rolf. We'll just have to see how things turn out!

Liberté;3097602 said:
Yeah, I think it's a thin line between class and trash with his creations, with a cheap quick desing this may easily be crossed. Also his creations aren't for everyone and not every body shape and colour can easily take his explosion of colour, print etc.

I said just that the other day. I personally don't have high hopes for this line at all.