The art of writing - writing culture - or simply: a thread about pens

• Thread starter the_black_tie_diyer
  • Start date
T

the_black_tie_diyer

Hi,

I hope it's ok to start this thread here in the jewelry box - I couldn't find any better suited sub-forum.

Fellow pen aficionados, please share your pens & accessories I'd love to see your pictures.

I'll start with 2 of my Montblancs

Meisterstück LeGrand ballpoint pen, platinum hardware.

IMG_0392.jpg

Bohème fountain pen (retractable tip), platinum hardware.

13627934_149677228772877_145510387_n.jpg

Kind regards,
Oliver

Beautiful and inspiring!

Thank you very much!

Love them. Also, your pics look like they could be in an advertisement. Nice.

Thank you very much!

----

Here's another pen - sorry for the rather blurry picture, it's the only one I have right now of the pen alone.

Cartier - Must de Cartier ballpoint with C de Cartier decor

IMG_0908.jpg

Kind regards,
Oliver

There is still something old world, charming & lovely in writing & receiving a handwritten note especially with
beautiful pens that you have shared with us...

Thank you very much! I try to write as much letters and notes by hand that I can all through the year but most definitely during the season, as I write all my Christmas cards by hand, I never skip that. ;)

ok....not a great picture, but it's all I have. BTW would anyone know where I could have the nib section changed? I purchased the piece, I just don't know how to do it myself without destroying the nib itself. Thanks.View attachment 3503363

That's a fantastic trio you got there, really, really beautiful! I'm sorry I can't give any advice on changing the nib, I have destroyed far to many myself over the years, but maybe a local place that sells Waterman can? I know, it's a long shot since the Opera is long out of production but maybe you're lucky and a SA knows his/her way around it. Or contact Waterman directly and ask them for support/ a good explanation on how to do it.

Kind regards,
Oliver

Reactions: prepster
[QUOTE="the_black_tie_diyer,
That's a fantastic trio you got there, really, really beautiful! I'm sorry I can't give any advice on changing the nib, I have destroyed far to many myself over the years, but maybe a local place that sells Waterman can? I know, it's a long shot since the Opera is long out of production but maybe you're lucky and a SA knows his/her way around it. Or contact Waterman directly and ask them for support/ a good explanation on how to do it.

Kind regards,
Oliver[/QUOTE]
Thanks Oliver....I bought the fountain pen in the late '80s if I can remember that fr back...lol The rollerball and the ballpoint I purchased on Ebay from very nice sellers who had sold them to me in new condition. The Opera series is my favorite set of Waterman pens. They feel so good in my hands when scribing.
The gold plated ring on the fountain pen has some "brassing" (the brass turns black and starts to chip off). I purchased an entire new replacement section, now I just have to find someone to put it in for me.

Reactions: the_black_tie_diyer
Thanks Oliver....I bought the fountain pen in the late '80s if I can remember that fr back...lol The rollerball and the ballpoint I purchased on Ebay from very nice sellers who had sold them to me in new condition. The Opera series is my favorite set of Waterman pens. They feel so good in my hands when scribing.
The gold plated ring on the fountain pen has some "brassing" (the brass turns black and starts to chip off). I purchased an entire new replacement section, now I just have to find someone to put it in for me.

Try Fountain Pen Hospital in NY.

Reactions: oreo713
Thanks mistikat....I may have to look into that I was trying to find somewhere local where I could just wait for it. It shouldn't be a big deal to fix.
I have a fairly large collection of fountain pens, vintage and modern (approaching 100 pens) and finding someone local to fix a pen is a tough one. It's really a dying art. FPH is great about mail order and they are really responsive on the phone. If you call and describe the issue, they can probably advise next steps (like whether it's worth sending it in to them).

Reactions: prepster and JenW
Thank you very much!

Thank you very much!

----

Here's another pen - sorry for the rather blurry picture, it's the only one I have right now of the pen alone.

Cartier - Must de Cartier ballpoint with C de Cartier decor

View attachment 3502759

Kind regards,
Oliver

Hi,

here's my Yard-O-Led pencil (twist mechanism) - Sterling Silver tip and clip, synthetic body.
View attachment 3503692

Kind regards,
Oliver

I've wanted that Cartier pen since DBF got a Cartier pen! And Yard-O-Led is a definite must purchase on my next trip to the U.K.

Love this thread already! [emoji7]

Reactions: the_black_tie_diyer