Chanel Lambskin - how do I clean it/care for it?

Hello All, I know that many ppl recommend Leather Surgeons, has anyone used Artbag in NYC.? I've read very good things about them. I'd liked to go somewhere in person rather than mailing my bag.
Thanks

Hi lambskin experts! I am torn between buying a lambskin mini in black (safe color) or un a fun color (red, pink, beige) but I have heard that taking care of non-black lambskin bags can be tiring because you can't wear them wihh black clothes or jeans

Anyone can share their experiences taking care of a light-colored lambskin bag?

Thanks in advance [emoji8][emoji8]

So I tried to condition my new to me classic medium flap today with the Cadillac conditioner that has been recommended so much in this thread. I immediately stopped but this occurred just from gently rubbing for like five seconds if even that? I don't think this is normal but thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9661.JPG
    IMG_9661.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,036
Reactions: thefashionact
So I tried to condition my new to me classic medium flap today with the Cadillac conditioner that has been recommended so much in this thread. I immediately stopped but this occurred just from gently rubbing for like five seconds if even that? I don't think this is normal but thoughts?

Is that the one you just bought from Boutique Patina? I'd stop with the conditioner. It seems to me like it has been previously treated with those black liquid shoe polish, or something. Or could it have been dyed? I don't know, maybe someone else can chime in? I've never had black color coming off my black lambskin if I condition it.

Is that the one you just bought from Boutique Patina? I'd stop with the conditioner. It seems to me like it has been previously treated with those black liquid shoe polish, or something. Or could it have been dyed? I don't know, maybe someone else can chime in? I've never had black color coming off my black lambskin if I condition it.
Yes, it's the one I just got from patina:amazed:

Yes, it's the one I just got from patina:amazed:
If the color comes off the bag like that, I'd worry that it would also rub off on clothing. Not sure what's happened to your flap (dye rub-off?), can you contact Patina first and see what they have to say? If that much (if any!) black comes off the leather like that after only a few seconds of gentle rubbing, that's no good.

If the color comes off the bag like that, I'd worry that it would also rub off on clothing. Not sure what's happened to your flap (dye rub-off?), can you contact Patina first and see what they have to say? If that much (if any!) black comes off the leather like that after only a few seconds of gentle rubbing, that's no good.
Ok I will contact them! Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't know if it was normal or not :/

@ironic568 this is the response I just got from patina: "It's pretty normal for color to come off when you condition it with something, from my experience, but once it dries it shouldn't happen any longer. We checked with the original owner who said the bag was never refurbished. It's also obvious from feeling the leather - bags that are reconditioned do not have that original softness to it that your bag has.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with further questions."

I use the Cadillac conditioner on my black lambskin and caviar bags as recommended by my Chanel sa. I've never seen black transfer on the cloth I used.

+1 My thoughts exactly! The previous owner probably treated/colored the bag.

Reactions: Plumeria233
@ironic568 this is the response I just got from patina: "It's pretty normal for color to come off when you condition it with something, from my experience, but once it dries it shouldn't happen any longer. We checked with the original owner who said the bag was never refurbished. It's also obvious from feeling the leather - bags that are reconditioned do not have that original softness to it that your bag has.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with further questions."

Well, if they say that it has never been refurbished (not that the previous owner would admit it if she did).
I don't think it's normal, but maybe someone who's experienced the same can comment? I just know that when I condition my black lambskin bags, there's no color bleed at all.

+1 My thoughts exactly! The previous owner probably treated/colored the bag.

Well, if they say that it has never been refurbished (not that the previous owner would admit it if she did).
I don't think it's normal, but maybe someone who's experienced the same can comment? I just know that when I condition my black lambskin bags, there's no color bleed at all.

Is it a bad thing if the previous owner treated/colored the bag? Do you think it would affect the longevity of the lambskin? Also, I agree with you @ironic568. I have conditioned other leather goods and never does the color come off.

Is it a bad thing if the previous owner treated/colored the bag? Do you think it would affect the longevity of the lambskin? Also, I agree with you @ironic568. I have conditioned other leather goods and never does the color come off.

It depends on how much you bought the bag for, but seeing that you bought it from Boutique Patina and not a private seller, I don't think it was "cheap". At least, not cheap enough to justify the refurbishment.
I definitely rather not have my bags being treated at all, 'cause a bag that has been refurbished must have looked somewhat "well loved" for the owner to go the refurbishing route, ykwim?
IF the bag has been refurbished/dyed, you do at some point run the risk of the dye cracking. I've seen it in bags and it doesn't look pleasant.
If you don't feel comfortable not knowing what has been done to the bag, is there still a way of returning the bag? What's their return policy?

I wouldn't consider it a bad thing, but just like @ironic568 mentioned, the owner must have had a reason to dye it, either to cover something up or she wanted the color more saturated I'm guessing? I wouldn't have the guts to do that, but maybe the original owner wanted it to be pristine for the potential buyer. Sorry just throwing some thoughts out here.

Reactions: juicygirl82