Is this a reasonable way to purchase a Birkin?

Jun 16, 2007
Hello!

I've been lurking and learning lots of valuable info. Wow, you ladies really know your stuff!

I have been coveting for a couple of years a 30cm Blue Jean Togo w/ palladium hardware. I'll be 40 this year and had hoped it would be my big 4-0 gift to myself! Even though I know it's a "young" color, I feel it matches my spirit, and living in South Florida, I can carry it year-round.

Which brings me to my question: I realize it appears to be "bad form" to walk into a store inquiring about a Birkin, and although there are at least 2 boutiques (Palm Beach and Bal Harbour) close to me, I don't know any of the SA's, or even how to get on a wait list. I had thought, and please tell me if this is A) tacky or B) would be a good idea: My credit card has a concierge service that supposedly can get me anything anytime...is it a bad idea to have them contact Hermes to order a BJ, or at least get me on a wait list?

Also, I estimate that the BJ is going to cost me around $7000-$8000. Is this correct?

Thanks SO much!

Sorry to say this, but I've been told even the concierge can't do much to get you a Birkin. The best way is to go into the store and develop a relationship with a SA. Some people balk at this idea and don't want to buy any other H items in an attempt to procure a Birkin. All they want is the Birkin. If you fall into the latter category, there are always resellers. A 35cm BJ togo Birkin runs around $7500 before tax, if memory serves.

If the concierge can get you on the waitlist that would be awesome, but like Hermesgroupie I haven't heard of success stories in that dept either. I don't think it would be tacky, but if you're worried about that have them call the store you'd most likely not be trying to get it from. I don't see a problem though. Resellers are a good idea if you don't mind paying over retail to get what you want immediately. There are a bunch of reputable ones. Good luck and happy 40 in advance :smile:

Thanks! I had hoped to avoid the extra 10-15% extra that resellers tend to charge, and I'm too wary to purchase one on ebay. There have been a lot of reputable resellers suggested on the forums here, maybe I'll check them out. I don't know why I'm so intimidated about getting on a waitlist!

Of course, there is always the Bolide (never sure how to pronounce that)...are they more readily available? Would I have as much SA trouble if I walked into a boutique to inquire about it? I love the look of that bag as well and could probably be satisfied...

Of course, there is always the Bolide (never sure how to pronounce that)...are they more readily available? Would I have as much SA trouble if I walked into a boutique to inquire about it? I love the look of that bag as well and could probably be satisfied...
To answer both your questions, no. And it would help you on your way to establishing a relationship if you would buy a Bolide. Please understand, Hermes is wary about selling to firsttimers and people off the street because they don't want to find out they sold to a reseller. It is much easier to get one with an established relationship. You don't have to spend a lot of money either. They like to sell to people who understand and appreciate the brand. So if you go in with working knowledge of the brand and blow away the SA with your knowledge of leathers, colors, and styles, they are more likely to help you. It also saves them time. It can be frustrating trying to explain to someone all the leathers, colors, and styles. That would take hours and nobody likes to waste their time.

I'll echo what everyone here has suggested and add that
Andrea is a WONDERFUL SA over at Hermes Bal Harbour (I live in Ft Lauderdale).

Get to know her - build a relationship - she'll help you find your dream bag :biggrin:

I agree. Go in, and spend some time...not on a busy Saturday, getting to know a SA, tell her your dream bag. Look at some of the other items. (I usually find that even if I wasn't interested...something catches my eye.) Be prepared to wait though. This combo can take a while. Happy Birthday, in advance.

Thanks so much for the advice an b-day wishes! Especially to a newbie here. Next time I head to Bal Harbour I will definitely stop in and ask for Andrea. I've bought a few scarves, perfume, and an H watch...but never in one particular boutique. Sounds like that is key.

Since you already own H items and are likely to buy similar items (scarves, fragrances etc), I'd suggest you start consolidating your purchases at one particular store and with one particular SA. That way, it is part of forming your r/ship with the SA, and hence also increase your chances of scoring a Birkin.

Hello!

I've been lurking and learning lots of valuable info. Wow, you ladies really know your stuff!

I have been coveting for a couple of years a 30cm Blue Jean Togo w/ palladium hardware. I'll be 40 this year and had hoped it would be my big 4-0 gift to myself! Even though I know it's a "young" color, I feel it matches my spirit, and living in South Florida, I can carry it year-round.

Which brings me to my question: I realize it appears to be "bad form" to walk into a store inquiring about a Birkin, and although there are at least 2 boutiques (Palm Beach and Bal Harbour) close to me, I don't know any of the SA's, or even how to get on a wait list. I had thought, and please tell me if this is A) tacky or B) would be a good idea: My credit card has a concierge service that supposedly can get me anything anytime...is it a bad idea to have them contact Hermes to order a BJ, or at least get me on a wait list?

Also, I estimate that the BJ is going to cost me around $7000-$8000. Is this correct?

Thanks SO much!

Do you have the Centurion? I used my cousin's concierge service several years ago to locate a blue jean 35 birkin exactly. I don't think they went through the store though, maybe a reseller and they ate the difference.

Not the C card, just Amex P...I almost feel foolish saying this now but after perusing the board nonstop for almost a week and looking at all the fantastic styles, I'm beginning to have that same butterfly feeling about the Bolide that I had for the Birkin. I knew I was in trouble when I put a pic of a BJ Bolide up in my office...lol! I wasn't even aware of the variety of colors...now I'm going back and forth b/t BJ, turquoise, and Sapphire blue. Definitely one of the grainy leathers. Oy Vey!

I'm going to go to the Bal Harbour store this weekend to buy a Twilly...I'll see if the SA is there and do some inquiries just to compare. Gosh...how does a girl narrow it down to just one? This is making me dizzy...