Arts & Crafts Has anyone used RIT dye more?

BgaHolic

Emma 4ever in my <3
O.G.
May 23, 2009
I was in a wading pool with my daughter for three hours and my lavender colored bathing suit got completely bleached! It's faded pink on top and, at the very bottom, it's lavender. So, I was thinking of perhaps re-dying it to it's original color since I am uncomfortable wearing it any longer. The instructions say to boil the dye in a large pot. If anyone has had experience, I would love you intake. TIA!

I was in a wading pool with my daughter for three hours and my lavender colored bathing suit got completely bleached! It's faded pink on top and, at the very bottom, it's lavender. So, I was thinking of perhaps re-dying it to it's original color since I am uncomfortable wearing it any longer. The instructions say to boil the dye in a large pot. If anyone has had experience, I would love you intake. TIA!

Bummer about the suit! I've had mixed results with RIT. The few times I've tried it the color hasn't been very intense, and fabrics that aren't all-cotton haven't picked up the color very well. If the suit is bleached lighter on the top than it is on the bottom I don't think dye will even it out. But it's worth a shot.

Friends who do a lot of dyeing (successfully) buy dyes from Dharma Trading Co. (www.dharmatrading.com). In fact they have a bunch of tutorials on different sorts of dyeing (http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/14905957-AA.shtml?lnav=home.html).

If you try RIT tell me how it works out. I had an American flag that was bleached out from the sun. I tried to antique it with RIT dyes by dyeing it brown, dyeing it with their "antiquing" dye, dyeing it with their "tea dye," etc. I spent a boatload on boxes of RIT dyes. Even though the flat was all-cotton it barely picked up any of the dyes.