And this is why I rarely sell on eBay... advice needed please!

Call ebay and have them look at the listing, point out that you specifically described spine damage, buyer is a reseller and further damaged the books and request that they close the case and remove the negative feedback. You can also tell them that she caused further damage to the books.

Give them the URL to the policy that tells that a seller can win a dispute when the buyer's complaint is for issues that are described in the listing.

Feedback reply: Books as described. Competing seller caused further damage in attempt to get further refund.

Thanks! I'm calling them now. I really wish the photo was still there so they could view it.

Yeah, like you have an extra dozen identical used books sitting around so you can pull a bait and switch for a hot $10 bill. Seriously, your buyer is delusional (or projecting!)

Wow GirlieShoppe! I just stumbled upon this thread and just finished reading it, and looked at the photos of the books. It is abundantly CLEAR that the buyer damaged the spine of your books further to strengthen her position. It's unbelievable how low someone will go for $10. As everyone says, I would not give in easy here, and make them work hard for the money. Good luck!

This is awful ... You can see its new damage due to fact it looks fresh underneath ... What a vicious nasty buyer

The whole situation is just plain crazy! I will not be selling on eBay for a loooong time after this gets resolved. Thanks for your support, ladies!

Thanks! I'm calling them now. I really wish the photo was still there so they could view it.
If it was sent through ebay, they can see it even if removed. (I'm not sure she can remove a picture that's been sent through ebay messaging. Are you sure she didn't send it directly to your email? Or is it in the dispute.?)

If it was sent through ebay, they can see it even if removed. (I'm not sure she can remove a picture that's been sent through ebay messaging. Are you sure she didn't send it directly to your email? Or is it in the dispute.?)

It was sent via the dispute and was in my eBay in-box when I opened it. The message saying they've attached a photo showing the damage is still visible but the photo is not. I can always send it to eBay if they can't see it on their end.

I know selling is risky on that site. I have a question. Don't know if I can ask it here or not, but here goes. It's not a big deal but I just want your thoughts. I purchased a clic bracelet from a new seller who had feedback from 4 people. The listing said 3.40 for shipping. Then she emailed me and asked if I wanted to upgrade my postage to include insurance. I said it is the sellers responsibility to make that decision and if something happened to the item in route that she would be held responsible. I said it is your listing and you need to do what you feel is the right thing to do. Today i receive the item and she paid 1.62 to send it but charged me 3.40 the difference that she stole from me is not what I'm concerned with. So I'm thinking if I'm honest with my feedback with someone that only has had 4 responses it would cause her percentage to take a dip that would be devastating to her as a new seller. Besides my bracelet was wrapped up in a dirty very large Hermes dustcover that would fit a large bitkin. Either I just email her and let her know how I feel, or forget about it. I'm not going give her my honest feedback because it would not be good at all. What to do?

I have great news! After talking with them a 4th time today, eBay closed the case and is removing the negative feedback! Woo hoo! I was told that I do not have to refund the buyer. Unfortunately it does mean that they get to keep the books and get a refund from eBay, but I'm glad it's over now.

A HUGE thank you to the fabulous Been Burned for talking me through this process. You are amazing! Let me know if you're ever in my neck-of-the-woods and I'll treat you to lunch! Thanks, as well, to everyone else for your moral support -- I truly appreciate it!

And for those who would like to block this buyer, the ID is: babyloniamedia

I have great news! After talking with them a 4th time today, eBay closed the case and is removing the negative feedback! Woo hoo! I was told that I do not have to refund the buyer. Unfortunately it does mean that they get to keep the books and get a refund from eBay, but I'm glad it's over now.

A HUGE thank you to the fabulous Been Burned for talking me through this process. You are amazing! Let me know if you're ever in my neck-of-the-woods and I'll treat you to lunch! Thanks, as well, to everyone else for your moral support -- I truly appreciate it!

Yay!! I just came back after seeing that the neg was removed.

I will never do business with babyloniamedia. For an idea of what a nightmare this buyer-flipper is, her toolhaus makes it very clear.
http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=babyloniamedia&Dirn=Left+by&ref=home

And even as a seller, she's not a good one!
http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=babyloniamedia&Dirn=Received+by

Toolhaus isn't working for me, but I looked at his feedback left for others. Wow... The whole first page is negatives, including similar feedback about damage not pictured, etc...

I know selling is risky on that site. I have a question. Don't know if I can ask it here or not, but here goes. It's not a big deal but I just want your thoughts. I purchased a clic bracelet from a new seller who had feedback from 4 people. The listing said 3.40 for shipping. Then she emailed me and asked if I wanted to upgrade my postage to include insurance. I said it is the sellers responsibility to make that decision and if something happened to the item in route that she would be held responsible. I said it is your listing and you need to do what you feel is the right thing to do. Today i receive the item and she paid 1.62 to send it but charged me 3.40 the difference that she stole from me is not what I'm concerned with. So I'm thinking if I'm honest with my feedback with someone that only has had 4 responses it would cause her percentage to take a dip that would be devastating to her as a new seller. Besides my bracelet was wrapped up in a dirty very large Hermes dustcover that would fit a large bitkin. Either I just email her and let her know how I feel, or forget about it. I'm not going give her my honest feedback because it would not be good at all. What to do?
You are right about insurance. That is the seller's responsibility, and if she wanted to, she could have included it in her shipping cost. I wonder how she only paid $1.62 to mail the item. Is this in the US? The cheapest postage I can find through USPS is $2.45 for a first class 3 ounce package and as a seller, I would be fine with charging a little more since ebay takes 10% of that cost. So if she charged you $3.40, ebay took 34 cents and paypal took close to 10 cents. Are you sure the $1.62 isn't an additional charge for insurance or tracking? Even though the dustcover was dirty, I feel that is a bonus if you weren't expecting a dustcover at all, unless there was one described in the listing.

I never leave neutral or negative feedback without contacting the seller first to give her a chance to explain herself or appease me. I wouldn't have any problems with giving a new seller constructive criticism. If the seller reacted defensively and was rude in her response, then I would leave neutral or negative feedback. Keep in mind that other sellers can see that you have left negatives and may not want to sell to you if they think you are a difficult buyer.

Wonderful news! I figured they might do this since the amount was so small. She won't be able to do it multiple times without someone in ebay getting wise, I hope.

Yay!! I just came back after seeing that the neg was removed.

I will never do business with babyloniamedia. For an idea of what a nightmare this buyer-flipper is, her toolhaus makes it very clear.
http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=babyloniamedia&Dirn=Left+by&ref=home

And even as a seller, she's not a good one!
http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=babyloniamedia&Dirn=Received+by

The water damaged one was the best one... Clearly this isn't the first Time this seller has done this. Glad it was resolved OP

You're being totally petty in my opinion. You spent hundreds of dollars on a bracelet and you're mad about less than $2.00? How do you know that she didn't spend money on insurance which would have been more than $2.00. Also, the shipping cost you pay is not just for shipping. It's for shipping, packaging and handling. I think you even considering leaving her a neg over $1.80 is ridiculous.

This is such wonderful news. I'm so happy to hear that EBay did the right thing!

You're being totally petty in my opinion. You spent hundreds of dollars on a bracelet and you're mad about less than $2.00? How do you know that she didn't spend money on insurance which would have been more than $2.00. Also, the shipping cost you pay is not just for shipping. It's for shipping, packaging and handling. I think you even considering leaving her a neg over $1.80 is ridiculous.
Even if she didn't insure it and even if she managed to ship for $1.62, an extra $1.80 for handling is pretty darned inexpensive. Buyers aren't always aware that sellers purchase boxes, bubble mailers, tissue, packing tape and other materials. And add to that the time and gas for her to drive to the post office to make sure your package is shipped promptly.

There's a value to shopping online when someone else does the shopping for you and you have it shipped and delivered to your door a couple of days later.

I sure hope you don't punish this seller.