What is a neutral color? Show me!

Jul 9, 2014
Hi ladies! I've been reading quite a few posts lately, and I see that several colors are being described as neutral. This being both pink, yellow, greens...and I getting a bit confused about what defins a neutral color. I always thought this referred to navy, black, white, luggage, and grey . Colors that are basics and that goes with anything. I know there is an ocean of MK colors out there, please show me what you feel is a neutral color and tell me why:tup:. I hope to learn a lot!

Hey, for me I see these as being neutrals in my collection...
Black, luggage, dark dune and dusty rose. To me they are neutrals as I can wear them with multiple outfit colours and not have to think will they clash? My brights I have to be more mindful of what I'm going to be wearing that day and if it goes or not.

The colors I would consider neutrals in the traditional sense are: black, white, grey, brown
The colors that are actual neutrals (i.e., that coordinate with a majority of other colors) is a bigger universe. The MK colors that I can think of that I would consider neutrals are...black, optic white, pearl grey, heather grey, steel grey, dove, cinder, luggage, coffee, dark dune, dark khaki, tan, dusty rose, navy, malachite

The colors I would consider neutrals in the traditional sense are: black, white, grey, brown
The colors that are actual neutrals (i.e., that coordinate with a majority of other colors) is a bigger universe. The MK colors that I can think of that I would consider neutrals are...black, optic white, pearl grey, heather grey, steel grey, dove, cinder, luggage, coffee, dark dune, dark khaki, tan, dusty rose, navy, malachite

+1

I have a dark green bag that I consider neutral because it goes with most of my outfits. Kind of similar to navy. If it's more of a muted color, then I consider it neutral..... :smile:

Reactions: Norwegian Girl
I agree with what's been said in previous posts, black, browns, greys, taupes, and white. As long as I can wear the colour with 99% of my wardrobe without wondering if it will match I'd consider it a neutral. Additional MK-specifics are DD, Dark Khaki, Navy, Dusty Rose, and Merlot. I tend to stay away from bright colours that are seasonal and stick to classics for my bags, but my wallets, cosmetic pouches, and coin pouches are always colourful so they contrast with my neutral bags.

I found this colour chart on line that speaks to neutrals and exemplifies where an MK colour can fall to be considered neutral. I personally feel any colour that is muted and acts as a backdrop to accessories/clothes/shoes and so on can be a neutral colour. Along the lines of something "without" colour, if that makes sense.
View attachment 3413985
Thanks! This colorchart is perfect!

Reactions: Fendilove
I found this colour chart on line that speaks to neutrals and exemplifies where an MK colour can fall to be considered neutral. I personally feel any colour that is muted and acts as a backdrop to accessories/clothes/shoes and so on can be a neutral colour. Along the lines of something "without" colour, if that makes sense.
View attachment 3413985

This is great, you can almost go through and find an MK shade that colour [emoji23]

Reactions: Fendilove
I have always found it amusing when I read people with bag colors like hot pink or dark turquoise and call them neutral!

No, I don't consider bright colors like hot pink, turquoise, bright green or tangerine shades as neutrals. I consider them pops of accent colors that look good with neutral colored clothes. While I think your basic neutral colors are black, navy, greys, browns, taupes, beiges & white...I would add also add muted shades of pinks & ecru into the neutral catagory along with the merlot & oxblood shades.

I just commented in another thread about a neutral colour and it got me thinking about "tones". I really enjoy interior design and one thing I always consider is warm tones versus cool tones. The picture attached shows the difference between the two. Applying this to handbags, warmer-toned neutrals go better with my wardrobe and are also more flattering against my complexion along with more fall colours. I also tend to choose GHW since it matches everything else such as my minimal jewelry/accessories (usually just earrings and a watch). I also use similar logic when buying makeup especially eyeshadows, blush, and lipsticks.ImageUploadedByPurseForum1469041946.867743.jpg

I just commented in another thread about a neutral colour and it got me thinking about "tones". I really enjoy interior design and one thing I always consider is warm tones versus cool tones. The picture attached shows the difference between the two. Applying this to handbags, warmer-toned neutrals go better with my wardrobe and are also more flattering against my complexion along with more fall colours. I also tend to choose GHW since it matches everything else such as my minimal jewelry/accessories (usually just earrings and a watch). I also use similar logic when buying makeup especially eyeshadows, blush, and lipsticks.View attachment 3415170
This makes total sense to me because I always gravitate towards cool colors and look best wearing silver jewelry. I also love deep jewel tones. I love emerald green and sapphire blue and amethyst purple and tend to stay away from orange.