How to choose when you want so many...

LuxMommy

Jan 26, 2013
Hi all! So a year ago I sold all my bags and started a new collection. With major lifestyle changes my old collection was not serving me anymore. Now I feel like I need/want a million bags...I currently have the Mews in DE, Montaigne MM in Empreinte (Taupe), Delightful PM in DA and a Favourite MM in Mono + various SLGs. I need a bigger cross-body bag, and have decided on the Speedy B 25, but cannot decide which print or Empreinte. I also desperately want a Speedy B 30 in Monogram, which will be my one and only "big" Mono bag. AND I also really want a colourful and fun Epi/Empreinte piece, perhaps the Alma BB in Hot Pink or a Speedy B 25 in a fun colour.... But I can only get one bag at a time, so what to do???

oh, that is hard. I guess most of us here has that same dilemma. The thing that works for me though is I buy an item depending on my needs (which is really want) and I most of the time buy them whenever there is an occasion just how I like to do it for more sentimental reason. I don't have a summer bag so I bought one last March, don't have an LV wallet so I bought it for Mothers day, I need a catch all bag I bough a pouch 15 last month, I don't have a mono bag I bought a speedy 25 classic oh well, I am going in Vegas with DH & DD for thanksgiving which also happens to be my bday oops I think I need a cross body travel bag that can fit my stuff, DH's and 3 year old DD I will going to get a speedy 30 b in DE in November, for Christmas I will get another of their LE illustration type thing just to collect etc. oh well, we are going on a cruise or Disney or park next year I need the mini spring back pack that everyone on YT is raving about. So that's my system. I am just saying this is what really works for me since I don't have a lot of budget and sometimes I let myself to do impulse buys on slgs this might or might not work for you but you can always try it. Also, I like buying bags one at a time that way I get enough time to enjoy and make sure love the bag. Hope this helps and don't forget to post what you have decided getting. Goodluck.

Reactions: LuxMommy
When I found (find???) myself in this situation, I made a list. "My Handbag Collection." I wrote them all down - every bag that was on my mind. Then I made another list of all the situations/occasions for which I need a bag. And I matched bags from the first list to the second list. I realized, in this process, that some of the bags on the first list actually had no place in my life. I was obsessed with them as beautiful things, objects of art, but I realized I didn't really need to OWN them, you know? Or at least I could move them on to a "one day" list - a list of bags that I want to keep in mind, but that I don't need to plot and plan to acquire, like, immediately, because I'd basically be buying them for them to sit in my closet while I use other, more currently relevant bags. Not necessary.

I refer to the "My Handbag Collection" list a lot - like, a stupid amount. I think about it. I think about which bags serve multiple purposes, and which bags can be kind of "signature" bags for particular things (like, "my travel bag" or "my going out to dinner bag"). I think of the bags on this list as ALREADY MINE, and I think of my collection as complete, even though I haven't actually purchased all the bags yet. But THINKING about my purchases as part of a whole collection, and considering where they fit, has prevented me from a lot of impulse buying, and it has helped me prioritize which bags to buy when.

It's not AS much fun as a shopping spree, but it's still pretty fun to sit down and create, and then edit and curate, your fantasy collection. If you're a visual person, you might want to collect pics of all the bags and do a Pinterest board or just create a folder on your computer too.

Best of luck!

oh, that is hard. I guess most of us here has that same dilemma. The thing that works for me though is I buy an item depending on my needs (which is really want) and I most of the time buy them whenever there is an occasion just how I like to do it for more sentimental reason. I don't have a summer bag so I bought one last March, don't have an LV wallet so I bought it for Mothers day, I need a catch all bag I bough a pouch 15 last month, I don't have a mono bag I bought a speedy 25 classic oh well, I am going in Vegas with DH & DD for thanksgiving which also happens to be my bday oops I think I need a cross body travel bag that can fit my stuff, DH's and 3 year old DD I will going to get a speedy 30 b in DE in November, for Christmas I will get another of their LE illustration type thing just to collect etc. oh well, we are going on a cruise or Disney or park next year I need the mini spring back pack that everyone on YT is raving about. So that's my system. I am just saying this is what really works for me since I don't have a lot of budget and sometimes I let myself to do impulse buys on slgs this might or might not work for you but you can always try it. Also, I like buying bags one at a time that way I get enough time to enjoy and make sure love the bag. Hope this helps and don't forget to post what you have decided getting. Goodluck.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write your thoughts! That sounds like a very good system, I definitely want a collection that serves my needs and I think it's a great idea to buy when the need actually arises. Thanks again!!!!

When I found (find???) myself in this situation, I made a list. "My Handbag Collection." I wrote them all down - every bag that was on my mind. Then I made another list of all the situations/occasions for which I need a bag. And I matched bags from the first list to the second list. I realized, in this process, that some of the bags on the first list actually had no place in my life. I was obsessed with them as beautiful things, objects of art, but I realized I didn't really need to OWN them, you know? Or at least I could move them on to a "one day" list - a list of bags that I want to keep in mind, but that I don't need to plot and plan to acquire, like, immediately, because I'd basically be buying them for them to sit in my closet while I use other, more currently relevant bags. Not necessary.

I refer to the "My Handbag Collection" list a lot - like, a stupid amount. I think about it. I think about which bags serve multiple purposes, and which bags can be kind of "signature" bags for particular things (like, "my travel bag" or "my going out to dinner bag"). I think of the bags on this list as ALREADY MINE, and I think of my collection as complete, even though I haven't actually purchased all the bags yet. But THINKING about my purchases as part of a whole collection, and considering where they fit, has prevented me from a lot of impulse buying, and it has helped me prioritize which bags to buy when.

It's not AS much fun as a shopping spree, but it's still pretty fun to sit down and create, and then edit and curate, your fantasy collection. If you're a visual person, you might want to collect pics of all the bags and do a Pinterest board or just create a folder on your computer too.

Best of luck!
Thanks so much for your response, I LOVE the ideas of a list, a fantasy collection and a Pinterest board!!!!! OK, you have inspired me to try this out, will start compiling my list and fantasy collection. Thanks again!!!!

Reactions: Summerfriend