Advice on YSL Kate Tassel or alternate?

soapskin

May 12, 2016
Hi all,
The medium Kate tassel bag has been my dream Saint Laurent bag for a long time. I have been thinking about getting it for this summer, because I will be traveling and be in some more evening fancy/formal occasions and have an actual use for it. However, because I am traveling and will also be using it every day as a daytime bag as I sightsee, I'm concerned about the functionality of the purse. Any current owners, how does it hold up for normal daily wear? Is it annoying/difficult to use? I just need it to carry daily essentials and be secure but not a struggle to open. I probably will only take one purse with me. Also, as an alternative, I'm looking at the Saint Laurent medium High School satchel as something more functional/casual, but still elegant. It's not as classic as the Kate tassel though. Does anyone have thoughts on the high school satchel? Thanks all!

Edit: Sorry the pictures are so big! Not sure how to make them smaller

Kate medium tassel
45238468AP_14_f.jpg

Medium High School satchel
45304534JH_14_f.jpg

I don't own either bag but I thought I'd give an opinion based on seeing them in person before as well as all the reviews I've watched. For the Kate medium tassel, apparently some reviewers say that the smooth leather scratches so easily. The chain can also dig into the shoulder and cause pain after a certain period of time but the good thing is that the magnetic closure very strong and secure and it can fit a decent amount for a clutch sized bag. If you're used to flap bags with this type of closure, I think it wouldn't be too much of a bother. The highschool satechel is nice in person as well but I like the smaller version better. The medium one ends up looking a bit too briefcase-like IMO. I hope that helps in some way! In the end, I think you should go for whatever bag you really love which sounds like the Kate. Good luck!

Thanks for the input!! I did consider the chain being painful and also the fact that it's pretty short.. I am rather tall so I dont think it would work as a crossbody :sad: I love the design of it soo much though :P I rather like the briefcase look of the medium high school satchel, so that feature works fine for me. I think I will probably visit a store to compare them in person!

I have the medium Kate (without the tassel). I'm 5'6" and I can definitely only wear it on one shoulder. If I wear it crossbody, it basically sits on my high waist. It fits a fair bit for a small bag. I can usually carry my card case, key pouch, compact, backup battery, phone, lip products, keys, and a few other small items. I don't find the chain that painful. If you're wearing it on your bare shoulder, it will start to dig in after awhile but I usually just switch shoulders. I got mine in the textured leather as opposed to the smooth because I was worried about scratches, so that's always an option. I find the magnetic closure is very strong but can still be opened easily. I've had the bag for about 4 months, although I don't use it everyday, and it has held up beautifully. Good luck on whatever bag you choose!

Ooh yeah I am 5'10", crossbody definitely wouldn't work then haha. The storage sounds about right for me though. Glad it's holding up well :smile: By textured leather do you mean the croc/python embossed? Or is there a different kind of grained leather available? Thanks for the advice!!

Ooh yeah I am 5'10", crossbody definitely wouldn't work then haha. The storage sounds about right for me though. Glad it's holding up well :smile: By textured leather do you mean the croc/python embossed? Or is there a different kind of grained leather available? Thanks for the advice!!

The non tassel form is available in a grained or textured leather. I think the tassel bag only comes in smooth or croc this season though.

Hello, I recently bought the exact same bag in red!! the only troubles I have been dealing with is the tassel sometimes gets stuck on the metal logo, and that the chain is way too long for me (im only 5'0''). I have managed to scracth the bag, but its not noticeably and therefore not a huge problem for me. I use it on a daily base and there's plenty of room for the essential stuff (phone, makeup, keys, cardholder etc).

If I were you I would go for the kate medium especially since you've been eyeing it from the beginning.. so yes absolutely go for it!!

Last edited:
Hello, I recently bought the exact same bag in red!! the only troubles I have been dealing with is the tassel sometimes gets stuck on the metal logo, and that the chain is way too long for me (im only 5'0''). I have managed to scracth the bag, but its not noticeably and therefore not a huge problem for me. I use it on a daily base and there's plenty of room for the essential stuff (phone, makeup, keys, cardholder etc).

If I were you I would go for the kate medium especially since you've been eyeing it from the beginning.. so yes absolutely go for it!!

Thanks for the info! I think I have the opposite problem with the chain LOL but I really love the tassel so I'll probably go for the tassel version anyways. Glad to hear it is quite roomy!

Reactions: Acherousian