Dior's First Lady! Maria Grazia Chiuri hired as artistic director of Christian Dior

Yoshi1296

O.G.
Dec 29, 2012
It's officially announced by Dior y'all! Maria is coming to Dior! I am super excited to see what she has in store for the house, I think she has potential to make an even bigger impact than Raf Simons. She is super talented. I am so excited to see more women taking over the design industry. Praying she brings the house to a hopeful future. Ever since Galliano was fired it has been a rocky road for Dior.

It's awesome she finally got the job because Dior actually considered hiring her 20 years ago but ultimately gave the position to John Galliano because Anna Wintour convinced them to hire Galliano.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1467962086.203093.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: honey
What surprises me is that she actually will have a big influence on accessories, based on her super-successful stint at Valentino as accessories designer (she and her partner were behind the Rockstud collection) before being promoted to Co-Creative Director.

Sydney Toledano, President and CEO of Dior, announced that Dior will be different under Chiuri's direction.

But customers should not expect the same Dior, he said. “It will be different. We have our codes, absolutely, and we have our values about the excellence, the savoir-faire, the silhouette. But Dior is also a house where you have to take l’air du temps and project it for the future.”
(from Business of Fashion: https://www.businessoffashion.com/a...edano-maria-grazia-chiuri-talk-about-new-dior)

What does this mean for the current accessories collections? The Lady Dior will always be around, of course. I am anticipating exciting new styles that will become as iconic as the Rockstud collection for Valentino.

Chiuri's appointment appears to solve the problem that caused Raf (and to some extent, Galliano's) departure from Dior: The creative exhaustion of having to manage two labels. Chiuri, unlike her Dior predecessors, does not have her own label. As well, she is well-versed in the workings of an atelier and the tune of creating so many women's collections a year.

Glad that Dior appointed Chiuri after months of scouting for a new creative director. Hope that the management will be able to extent to her more influence on the direction of the brand, campaign, store design. I'm really excited to see her first collection for Dior! (Could it be the upcoming SS 17?:angel:)

Glad that Dior appointed Chiuri after months of scouting for a new creative director. Hope that the management will be able to extent to her more influence on the direction of the brand, campaign, store design. I'm really excited to see her first collection for Dior! (Could it be the upcoming SS 17?:angel:)

I think store design isn't part of her portfolio. It is largely Peter Marino's (celebrity architect who is also responsible for a list of other luxury labels' boutiques like Chanel and Hublot), with the current vision of the house (largely dictated by Sidney Toledano and Bernard Arnault). Who knows. Maybe she will influence it, but in a few years time, as Dior's boutiques are years in the making and the ones slated to open within the next few years are already in their plannings stages.

What surprises me is that she actually will have a big influence on accessories, based on her super-successful stint at Valentino as accessories designer (she and her partner were behind the Rockstud collection) before being promoted to Co-Creative Director.

Sydney Toledano, President and CEO of Dior, announced that Dior will be different under Chiuri's direction.

(from Business of Fashion: https://www.businessoffashion.com/a...edano-maria-grazia-chiuri-talk-about-new-dior)

What does this mean for the current accessories collections? The Lady Dior will always be around, of course. I am anticipating exciting new styles that will become as iconic as the Rockstud collection for Valentino.

Chiuri's appointment appears to solve the problem that caused Raf (and to some extent, Galliano's) departure from Dior: The creative exhaustion of having to manage two labels. Chiuri, unlike her Dior predecessors, does not have her own label. As well, she is well-versed in the workings of an atelier and the tune of creating so many women's collections a year.

Yes I agree. Maria will be able to dedicate all of her time and energy into Dior. She is the perfect fit. Her couture creations at Valentino were so beautiful and dreamy so I think she will be able to take over Dior with ease. She has so much talent and experience.

I'm hoping for new awesome accessories too. I'm super excited. We all better start saving up! Lol

Reactions: averagejoe
This article from New York Times gives more insight into the hiring of Maria Grazia Chiuri. Apparently she had expressed interest in working for Dior 20 years ago!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/08/fashion/maria-grazia-chiuri-dior-creative-director.html?_r=0

“I had it in mind that a woman designer might be interesting for a while now.”

So said Sidney Toledano, chief executive of Christian Dior, just before he officially got his wish. On Friday, the company announced that, as had beenpreviously reported in The Times, Maria Grazia Chiuri, the co-creative director of Valentino, was being named artistic director of Dior.

She will be the first woman to lead the creative side in the label’s 69-year history, and the role will be her first solo appointment after more than two decades of working with Pierpaolo Piccioli, who has been named creative director at Valentino. For the first time, Mr. Toledano was talking about the appointment: how it happened, why and what it means.

“When you listen to a woman talk about a woman, whether it is her body or her lifestyle — her work, the way she travels, what she needs — it is not conceptual,” Mr. Toledano said. “It is practical. Maria Grazia is very practical: very straightforward, very clear, and she has no fear. She has a family and a real life. She does things.”

Photo
08DIOR-WEB2-master675.jpg

Dior haute couture, fall 2016. CreditValerio Mezzanotti for The New York Times
Ms. Chiuri, who is 52 and will be the seventh designer to take on Dior, is going to have a lot to do when she begins this month.

She follows Raf Simons, who left in October. (In the interim, collections have been designed by the studio teams.) And besides the two couture collections, two ready-to-wear collections, one cruise, one pre-collection, shoes, bags, costume jewelry and eyewear, she is going to be involved in image, ad campaigns and store design. (Men’s wear is designed by Kris Van Assche and fine jewelry by Victoire de Castellane.)

This gives Ms. Chiuri more oversight than Mr. Simons, who was reportedly frustrated at not being able to unify his runway vision with its later expression. It reflects, Mr. Toledano said, the fact that Ms. Chiuri will be devoting herself to Dior (Mr. Simons and the designer who came before, John Galliano, maintained namesake lines while at the maison), and the fact that … well, she asked for it. A long time ago, as it turns out.

Mr. Toledano met Ms. Chiuri approximately 20 years ago, he said, when he was looking for a bag designer to help Mr. Galliano. At the time, she and Mr. Piccioli had just left Fendi, where they had started working together, and joined Valentino as accessory designers.

Photo
08DIOR-WEB3SUB-master675.jpg

Pierpaolo Piccioli, left, and Ms. Chiuri walk the runway at the end of the Valentino haute couture show this week in Paris. CreditValerio Mezzanotti for The New York Times
“She said to me: ‘I’m not going to come for just bags. I want the global job,’” Mr. Toledano said, though he would not say when the talks were revived. “Well, now she has it all.”

She has it at a complicated time. The luxury sector is predicted to grow at only 2 percent this year, according to a study from Bain & Company and Altagamma, the Italian trade association. Though Dior reported more than 5 billion euros ($5.53 billion) in sales last year and has 195 stores worldwide, three-fifths of its revenue came from perfumes and cosmetics. Christian Dior Couture, which includes all the clothing lines, contributed 1.8 billion euros to sales in 2015.

And though Ms. Chiuri has experience working with couture and ready-to-wear ateliers, as well as overseeing some of the most successful bags and shoes of recent seasons, she has never led a house by herself.

Her creative relationship with Mr. Piccioli was seen as almost symbiotic — when they took their bow at their last Valentino show on Wednesday, they walked in lock step, though she wore white and he black — and it is unclear how each will function on their own. (The front rows were rife with speculation during the couture shows last week.)

Not surprisingly, Mr. Toledano said he wasn’t concerned. Indeed, he said that though he thought Ms. Chiuri and Mr. Piccioli were “excellent together,” he had not considered bringing both designers to Dior as a team.

“She has a big ambition for the job, but it is not a power play,” he said.

The day of the announcement, Ms. Chiuri was in Rome (Thursday night she and Mr. Piccioli attended the Fendi haute couture show) to say goodbye to her former colleagues at Valentino and get ready for her new life. Mr. Toledano said that he was not sure if Ms. Chiuri would uproot her family — she lives in Rome with her husband, who owns a shirt-tailoring business, and two children — or commute, but that she was going to be “very present in Paris.”

Her first Dior collection will be unveiled at the end of September during the women’s ready-to-wear season — one that will include an unprecedented number of new faces atop old houses. Aside from Ms. Chiuri, Bouchra Jarrar will be making her debut at Lanvin, and Anthony Vaccarello at Yves Saint Laurent.

Shortly thereafter, Dior will have its 70th anniversary. “We’re going to celebrate,” Mr. Toledano said. Whether he was talking about the event or the designer was unclear, but the answer is probably both.

This article from New York Times gives more insight into the hiring of Maria Grazia Chiuri. Apparently she had expressed interest in working for Dior 20 years ago!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/08/fashion/maria-grazia-chiuri-dior-creative-director.html?_r=0

LOVED this article!!! thanks so much for posting it! I am super duper excited to see her work for Dior. I'm surprised she got store design too! This is going to be very interesting. I think a lot of brands need to update their store designs...Dior and LV are definitely 2 of them. My favorite stores are probably Celine, Goyard, and Valextra.

LOVED this article!!! thanks so much for posting it! I am super duper excited to see her work for Dior. I'm surprised she got store design too! This is going to be very interesting. I think a lot of brands need to update their store designs...Dior and LV are definitely 2 of them. My favorite stores are probably Celine, Goyard, and Valextra.

I actually like Dior's store designs the most of all the brands. They have so many mirrors inside, like the famous Hall of Mirrors in Versailles, but done with so many variations of Dior's grey.

This is something I hope won't change under Maria Graza Chiuri.
Dior-Taipei-101-flagship-store-Peter-Marino-Taipei.jpg

Dior-Flagship-Boutique-Re-Opening-in-Ngee-Ann-City-Singapore-4-1000x666.jpg

dior-boutique2-by-bakas-algirdas.jpg

I actually like Dior's store designs the most of all the brands. They have so many mirrors inside, like the famous Hall of Mirrors in Versailles, but done with so many variations of Dior's grey.

This is something I hope won't change under Maria Graza Chiuri.
Dior-Taipei-101-flagship-store-Peter-Marino-Taipei.jpg

Dior-Flagship-Boutique-Re-Opening-in-Ngee-Ann-City-Singapore-4-1000x666.jpg

dior-boutique2-by-bakas-algirdas.jpg

Wow those are nice! The stores near me look nothing like this so I assumed they all were the same. My fault.

Wow those are nice! The stores near me look nothing like this so I assumed they all were the same. My fault.

Dior is in the process of renovating older boutiques, but it takes time as the renovations themselves spare no expense when it comes to luxurious interior fixtures and artist-commissioned pieces. The time also factors into spreading the renovations of different boutiques over different years so that they aren't all renovated at once (or else Dior's operating expenses would rise dramatically), which may be why the boutiques in your area have not been renovated yet. Sidney Toledano, the CEO of Dior, invests heavily into boutique design as he thinks that the Dior experience is the most important when establishing relationships with their new and returning customers. So you should expect to see changes to your local boutiques, especially flagship stores, in the near future.

Speaking of renovations, the original and famous 30 Avenue Montaigne boutique is set for another major renovation to prepare Dior for its 70th anniversary. The last time it was renovated was 10 years ago, for its 60th anniversary, and Peter Marino's architectural designs for Dior have changed significantly over these years.

Dior is in the process of renovating older boutiques, but it takes time as the renovations themselves spare no expense when it comes to luxurious interior fixtures and artist-commissioned pieces. The time also factors into spreading the renovations of different boutiques over different years so that they aren't all renovated at once (or else Dior's operating expenses would rise dramatically), which may be why the boutiques in your area have not been renovated yet. Sidney Toledano, the CEO of Dior, invests heavily into boutique design as he thinks that the Dior experience is the most important when establishing relationships with their new and returning customers. So you should expect to see changes to your local boutiques, especially flagship stores, in the near future.

Speaking of renovations, the original and famous 30 Avenue Montaigne boutique is set for another major renovation to prepare Dior for its 70th anniversary. The last time it was renovated was 10 years ago, for its 60th anniversary, and Peter Marino's architectural designs for Dior have changed significantly over these years.

Thanks for the info! I had no idea. I'm hoping to see the new interiors of stores near me. I understand it's going to take a VERY long time. The 60th anniversary celebrations at Dior were amazing. I remember watching Galliano's 60th anniversary Haute Couture collection somewhere online it was super awesome. Hoping to see exciting stuff for the 70th!

Thanks for the info! I had no idea. I'm hoping to see the new interiors of stores near me. I understand it's going to take a VERY long time. The 60th anniversary celebrations at Dior were amazing. I remember watching Galliano's 60th anniversary Haute Couture collection somewhere online it was super awesome. Hoping to see exciting stuff for the 70th!

I remember those shows as well. Absolutely exquisite! My favourite collection of all time is the Madame Butterfly Haute Couture presentation that year.