2005 Calcaire City

Greenpea1

Nov 20, 2015
Hello again,

Just after a couple of opinions please!

I'm after a light colour City bag at the moment. I'm head over heels for my black City but would love a lighter colour for the Summer months.

Now I know I'll probably use the lighter colour less than the black so consigned myself to buying pre-loved but with a pre-loved light colour bag it's much more likely to have discolouration etc.

For a 2005 chèvre Calcaire do you think this is a 'normal' amount of wear / discolouration to the handle cords? Having never bought pre-loved before I just don't know what to expect!

Also does anyone have any opinions on the Calcaire in general?

Thank you!ImageUploadedByPurseForum1468143617.583072.jpg

I used to have Calcaire many years ago; remember you are talking about a bag that is now 11 years old .. so that "wear" is normal for a bag that old. We would need to see other pictures to judge the rest of the bag, including a 'comparison' picture of the mirror and the outside of the bag (which typically shows fading or other issues). Other than that, I did love the Calcaire color but at the time, living in New England (with it's crazy weather) .. I just didn't get the use out of the bag that I wanted to, so I sold it.

Reactions: Greenpea1
Thank you CeeJay, hmmm I see what you mean. Unfortunately the bag is missing the mirror which might be a warning sign that they didn't include it because of the obvious discolouration or could just be one of those things. The bag has been authenticated.
I'm only familiar with the leathers in recent years...do you know what the chèvre leather of 2005 was like?

Thank you CeeJay, hmmm I see what you mean. Unfortunately the bag is missing the mirror which might be a warning sign that they didn't include it because of the obvious discolouration or could just be one of those things. The bag has been authenticated.
I'm only familiar with the leathers in recent years...do you know what the chèvre leather of 2005 was like?
2005 leather is wonderful!

I wanted to attach a picture of my old Calcaire, but it looks like you can't "attach" pics anymore??!! Aggravating ...

I've managed a couple of photos of the tags. Do they look authentic to you? I know the bag has been authenticated but I've only ever purchased bags brand new so this pre-loved business is nerve racking for me![emoji81]ImageUploadedByPurseForum1468179753.359091.jpg

...just had another thought. Was the Calcaire released with both flat and notched rivets? I know it was around the time that they were phasing out the flat rivets hence my confusion.

From an old PF post:
"Authentic rivets (the back of the studs) are very slightly convex. Since 2005 (inconsistently in spring/summer bags; consistently since fall/winter), the rivets have a notch on either side. Before 2005, the rivets were a simple circle". So, I guess yes, an A tag bag could conceivably have either notched or un-notched rivets, provided this info is correct.

From an old PF post:
"Authentic rivets (the back of the studs) are very slightly convex. Since 2005 (inconsistently in spring/summer bags; consistently since fall/winter), the rivets have a notch on either side. Before 2005, the rivets were a simple circle". So, I guess yes, an A tag bag could conceivably have either notched or un-notched rivets, provided this info is correct.

That's great, thank you. Buying pre-loved is a minefield!

Depends on what the price is and how handy you are. You could clean them then paint out the cracked sealant with acrylic leather paint (the colour match may not be perfect but you could probably mix white with a bit of something to get it pretty close) and then reseal them with Zelikovitz satin top coat. If you search there's someone in one of the threads (Aalinne?) that listed a place where she purchased new lacing for the handles rather than using shoelaces or anything like that. The sealant doesn't looked that bad, it's worse on one handle than the other and you could even try cleaning the lacing with a bit of mild cleaner and a soft toothbrush before deciding whether or not to replace it. Of course I'm only seeing what your photos show, not the general condition of the whole bag. I love a good challenge...

FYI, I got light burgundy transfer dye all over the lacing of my sahara twiggy, not once but TWICE (I'm a slow learner). I used neo-cleaner (see link) and a soft cloth to start with, and it took off about 95% of it. Then a used a little bit of foam hand cleaner and you'd never know that there had been any transfer on the laces at all.
https://www.amazon.com/Columbus-Neo-Cleaner/dp/B012YIPC5I It also got all of the transfer dye off of the leather, the stuff worked really well but don't rub too hard or you'll start to lose the original colour of the bag, be gentle! Hope this helps!