If you could only choose one: Chanel vs Hermes

Lovellie

Jun 23, 2016
Hello fellow purse lovers :smile:

I'm probably the MOST indecisive person when it comes to buying/choosing bags & need help!

I don't know why I keep buying bags (esp. Chanels) & reselling them to get another (which I will end up selling again)...it isn't fun and a lot of work for a mom with two young kids--so this needs to be stopped! Lol

I recently bought (no surprise here:sad: Chanel mini in black patent that I regret (figures :sad:) and seriously want to get the ONE bag I will hopefully use & keep. So which one should I get?

*Chanel old boy medium chevron in army green color

*Hermes Evelyne GM III in clemence etoupe Or / black

I've owned both models in diff color before and realize these bags are what I missed the most. Chanel boy is always going to be one of those dream bags but honestly not very practical mommy bag---Evelyne on the other hand, super friendly mommy bag but very casual looking---(some of my friends thought that Evelyne isn't too appealing since you hardly see any where I live)

Right now, I'm leaning towards Hermes Evelyne in Eutope --not as classic as black but still very versatile--don't want my bags to be sitting in my closet anymore..

What do you think? Sorry about the long post once again :smile:

Thanks

The two bags you listed are very different. The Chanel boy can be worn for various occasions, whereas the Hermes evelyne is a casual bag. It really depends on what you prefer to wear most often NOW. It seems that you are leaning towards the Evelyne because of your lifestyle. Don't worry about what others may think, if you like the bag then buy it. Later on when you kids are older, you can buy the Chanel.

Personally, I would prefer the Evelyne over the Boy if my children are still young. I would wear it more often as it is a more comfortable bag and moulds nicely to the body when worn. While Chanel flaps are always nice, I don't wear it every day when taking my children to the playground or the zoo.

I agree with Minty Tea. These are very different bags.

I don't care at all for the Evelyne so it would be hard for me to choose it. I suggest the boy as it gives you the most flexibility with your look.

And I thought I was the only indecisive person!
I vote for the Evelyne, since you have kids. I was today in the Canel boutique and I saw a red lamb skin boy, that had already developed creases on the flap!

Thank you ladies for voicing your honest opinions! I really love purse forum, I really do :smile:. For being a super indecisive person, it certainly helps me to make better decisions. Lol :smile: I think I would really get a good use out of Evelyne as well--although I'll be sad to let this Boy go :sad: but there is always the next time. Now, black or etoupe?--this will be my next battle. Haha~

Last edited:
I vote for the Evelyn ... But the GM is pretty big ... Personally I prefer the PM ... Both black and Etoupe are great classic colors ... I have Etain myself .. And in general I prefer Chanel but Evelyn is so practical and durable

Reactions: Lovellie
I vote for the Evelyn ... But the GM is pretty big ... Personally I prefer the PM ... Both black and Etoupe are great classic colors ... I have Etain myself .. And in general I prefer Chanel but Evelyn is so practical and durable

So Evelyne is in the lead, hands down! :smile:
I had orange Evelyne gm III in the past and never got a chance to try out the PM--I've researched and found out that there is about an inch diff? Is this true? I'm not sure how much smaller the PM is---I'm curious now. Anyone with comparison pics of both would be great! Thanks for your reply btw :smile:

So Evelyne is in the lead, hands down! :smile:
I had orange Evelyne gm III in the past and never got a chance to try out the PM--I've researched and found out that there is about an inch diff? Is this true? I'm not sure how much smaller the PM is---I'm curious now. Anyone with comparison pics of both would be great! Thanks for your reply btw :smile:

I LOVE my black Evelyne, and it's so well made - that particular bag has been through a lot and still looks great. The adjustable strap means you can wear shoulder or crossbody, and it has an external pocket. I am personally not a fan of Etoupe but many love it.
I think versus the Boy bag, they are so different. You can't really use a Boy running around with kids, and you can't wear an Evelyne for a dressier occasion. Still if I had to choose, the Evie is SO useful. I see a lot of people getting rid of their Boy bags.
The PM Evelyne is quite a bit smaller all around than the GM, but unless you are very petite you can carry either. There are comparison mod pics in the H forum. I would just recommend that you get Clemence leather and not Epsom. Clemence molds to the body and helps a larger bag look less overwhelming.
By the way, if your Hermes store has a craftsperson, they will alter the Evelyne strap when you buy it at no charge. (After the fact there will be a bit of a charge.)

Thank you ladies for voicing your honest opinions! I really love purse forum, I really do :smile:. For being a super indecisive person, it certainly helps me to make better decisions. Lol :smile: I think I would really get a good use out of Evelyne as well--although I'll be sad to let this Boy go :sad: but there is always the next time. Now, black or etoupe?--this will be my next battle. Haha~

I have a GM Evelyne in Etoupe and love it. To me, Etoupe is just as classic as black, with the added benefit of being a year-round color (personally, I tend not to wear black bags in summer). Make sure of the size -- the GM is significantly larger than the PM.

Of the two choices, Evelyne or Chanel Boy, I'll pick the Evie every time. But if you had asked between the Evelyne and a Chanel Reissue, for me it would be a tougher choice! For everyday casual use, though, the Evelyne is a GREAT bag.

Reactions: Lovellie
neither. there is no such thing as "THE BAG" for someone who likes purses, so you'll end up wanting another one anyhow. maybe just try to figure out why you're in a cycle of purchasing/selling/purchasing/selling? it's not indecision, it's lack of focus on what type of collection you're building. get a little clearer on your day to day lifestyle and how you use bags.

Thanks! You are right on~ I need to stop reselling & rebuying :sad: thanks for your advice. I'm going to really figure out what I really want/do need right now.

QUOTE="ccbaggirl89, post: 30421225, member: 517391"]neither. there is no such thing as "THE BAG" for someone who likes purses, so you'll end up wanting another one anyhow. maybe just try to figure out why you're in a cycle of purchasing/selling/purchasing/selling? it's not indecision, it's lack of focus on what type of collection you're building. get a little clearer on your day to day lifestyle and how you use bags.[/QUOTE]