Tarnish on PHW

shopaholic.10

Sep 13, 2009
Hello Ladies,

I didn't know where to post this so decided to create a thread.

Would really appreciate your help and advice on how to go about the tarnish on my B35 PHW.

Have you seen this before and is it normal?

Please refer to image below:

a919a33b-d7d9-499a-9be8-59a80ab9218e.jpg

It looks like the plastic is still on the hardware. You need to take them off and use a high quality metal polish like Autosol and buff them with a soft cloth. Hopefully the metal is not yet pitted and a good polish will make that look good as new

Reactions: chromemilou
There is an old thread about this somewhere. About 13 or more years ago, there were some Birkins with palladium that tarnished easily. Some people sent their bags back to Hermes and Hermes replaced the hardware. I have a couple of these bags and I just polish the hardware with
Nerv-Dull. It is annoying to have to polish, but I did not feel like returning my bags. After polishing, the hardware does tarnish again and must be polished again.
Your bag looks newer, so they must have another bad batch of palladium.

Reactions: chromemilou
BTW, with my bags the tarnishing is not related to keeping plastic on the hardware. The plastic was removed immediately on both bags. I have a Kelly about the same age (about 14 years old) with palladium that has never had a bit of tarnish and it is stored in same place as the ones that tarnish. This was an issue with just some palladium. It is annoying.

Are the plastics on still?

If the plastic are still on
Likely it oxidised and spoil the hw

I heard not to keep plastic on hardware from my SA as over time it can damage the metal.

I have noticed with PHW it tarnishes like silver. I just use a silver polishing cloth and rub out the tarnishes. Hope that helps! Your bag looks gorgeous from what I can see in the pic, do you mind posting a full bag shot ;) Thanks

That happened to the shoulder clips on one of my straps, and the spa removed it rather quickly. Good luck and congrats on a gorgeous-color combo!

It looks like the plastic is still on the hardware. You need to take them off and use a high quality metal polish like Autosol and buff them with a soft cloth. Hopefully the metal is not yet pitted and a good polish will make that look good as new

There is an old thread about this somewhere. About 13 or more years ago, there were some Birkins with palladium that tarnished easily. Some people sent their bags back to Hermes and Hermes replaced the hardware. I have a couple of these bags and I just polish the hardware with
Nerv-Dull. It is annoying to have to polish, but I did not feel like returning my bags. After polishing, the hardware does tarnish again and must be polished again.
Your bag looks newer, so they must have another bad batch of palladium.

Hello Ladies,

Sorry for the late response and thank you all for your help.
The plastic is actually no longer on the Hardware.
Here' s a pic of the bag, it truly is so beautiful but sad to see that it has tarnished this quickly.

photo 3.JPG

Reactions: Lellabelle
I have noticed with PHW it tarnishes like silver. I just use a silver polishing cloth and rub out the tarnishes. Hope that helps! Your bag looks gorgeous from what I can see in the pic, do you mind posting a full bag shot ;) Thanks

I agree this method too. I had some issues with some of the palladium zip parts, and was quite worried about it. I used silver polish solution dipped in a qtip to polish the zip as the cloth is cumbersome and may abrade the leather. Took alot of patience before the tarnishing was completely removed.

For my case I suppose the tarnishing was probably due to constant contact with my hands that may have oils or makeup.

I'm so glad I found this thread - I have had the issue with PHW on a bag from 2001 but thought that this is really a specific case just for this particular bag. The stickers were removed shortly after the purchase but the tarnishing is on all of the PHW. It also can't be the climate or the storing as other bags are fine. Working with a silver cloth has not helped.
I have read in this thread (https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/plastic-protector-on-hardware.686504/) that this kind of tarnishing appeared on some bags during the time that we bought the bag. Do you know if the bag from this time had the hardware replaced by Hermès? Has anyone not been able to remove the tarnishing as well?

Reactions: TeeCee77
After reading through this forum I decided to give Madison a try as I felt discouraged with my <1k spend at DC. I wanted to share my 1st time experience with the Madison Hermes boutique for those hopping to try it for a wishlist/quota bag. I was offered a Kelly 42 Nior palladium Togo(also known as maxi Kelly) during a walk in leather appointment. All the staff were phenomenal. Definitely helps to be flexible and have a little idea of what is/or not high demand before walking in.
Here are the long awaited photos of my Kelly 42 (Maxi Kelly). She is a new bag for 2023. I have a feeling she is going to grow a a lot in popularity with larger bags becoming more popular. She has a canvas strap that adds that extra cool factor to her. So far I've been loving using her whether it be for caring my work computer or for carrying my daughter's things as I can always fit what I need in addition to. Another question for you guys. I haven't totally removed my hardware stickers. I was wondering if you guys have seen oxidation w/ not removing the stickers on palladium early enough.

Attachments

• IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg