Ivory & Other Endangered Species Jewelry - Do you have it, wear it, destroy it?

Junkenpo

Maui Strong...♥️
O.G.
Jan 23, 2007
New York, California, and most recently, Hawaii have enacted ivory bans. I think you can still pass down antique heirloom pieces, but no more selling & buying.

I grew up in Lahaina and scrimshaw was just part of town charm, whaling town history & all that. Since Hawaii is home to a bajillion endangered species, I've always taken conservation and restrictions in stride. Better to have the animal around in the wild, than eat it or wear it as a trinket, y'know?

I'm kind of wondering what will happen to all that now that Governor Ige has signed SB 2467 in law as Act 125. It sounds like it's in line with what the Feds require and even went a step further.

"Hawaii’s ban last month was the strongest yet. Bowing to years of pressure from conservation groups fighting to save two iconic African animals from slaughter by poachers, state lawmakers not only banned sales of products containing elephant ivory and rhinoceros horn, but also artifacts made from the hides of numerous other species — seals, sharks, lions, hippopotamuses, jaguars, tigers, leopards, great apes, whales, walruses, monk seals and cheetahs.

The law in Hawaii is even stronger than the federal rule, which exempts items from walruses, whales and mammoths." -
Washington Post

New York, California, and most recently, Hawaii have enacted ivory bans. I think you can still pass down antique heirloom pieces, but no more selling & buying.

I grew up in Lahaina and scrimshaw was just part of town charm, whaling town history & all that. Since Hawaii is home to a bajillion endangered species, I've always taken conservation and restrictions in stride. Better to have the animal around in the wild, than eat it or wear it as a trinket, y'know?

I'm kind of wondering what will happen to all that now that Governor Ige has signed SB 2467 in law as Act 125. It sounds like it's in line with what the Feds require and even went a step further.

"Hawaii’s ban last month was the strongest yet. Bowing to years of pressure from conservation groups fighting to save two iconic African animals from slaughter by poachers, state lawmakers not only banned sales of products containing elephant ivory and rhinoceros horn, but also artifacts made from the hides of numerous other species — seals, sharks, lions, hippopotamuses, jaguars, tigers, leopards, great apes, whales, walruses, monk seals and cheetahs.

The law in Hawaii is even stronger than the federal rule, which exempts items from walruses, whales and mammoths." -
Washington Post
I live on Cape Cod...home of the Nantucket "Lighthouse" bag. The vintage bags all have genuine scrimshaw but now use Ivoryite.

"Because of modern environmental and endangered species concerns, scrimshaw had become nearly a lost art. Now, thanks to Ivoryite - a synthetic substance developed by Tropical Enterprises, Inc. - gifted artists are reviving this traditional work. Ivoryite is specially formulated to recreate the look and feel of genuine ivory. It's also available pigmented to simulate black coral."

There was a travel article in the NY Times the other day about Anchorage, and there were some comments addressing the fact that certain animal-based crafts can't be taken out of the state. I am not sure if they can still be produced in modern times.

I live on Cape Cod...home of the Nantucket "Lighthouse" bag. The vintage bags all have genuine scrimshaw but now use Ivoryite.

"Because of modern environmental and endangered species concerns, scrimshaw had become nearly a lost art. Now, thanks to Ivoryite - a synthetic substance developed by Tropical Enterprises, Inc. - gifted artists are reviving this traditional work. Ivoryite is specially formulated to recreate the look and feel of genuine ivory. It's also available pigmented to simulate black coral."

I've never heard of ivoryite, that's neat. I know black coral is hard to get and it is Hawaii's state gem. I also remember reading an article, just posted it to the jade thread that included a comment that some ivory carvers were moving to carving jade because of the bans. This was back in 2002, so I don't know how accurate that is, espeically when China is the biggest consumer of ivory. When you consider how much the environment is impacted, it's amazing that we don't ban everything from plastic to diamonds.

There was a travel article in the NY Times the other day about Anchorage, and there were some comments addressing the fact that certain animal-based crafts can't be taken out of the state. I am not sure if they can still be produced in modern times.

I was reading an article about musicians who are replacing pieces of their instruments for touring because they are going in and out of the US. Also, a guy just was busted in Hawaii for smuggling walrus ivory from Alaska to the Philippines and back into Hawaii to sell.

Reactions: skyqueen
I was reading an article about musicians who are replacing pieces of their instruments for touring because they are going in and out of the US. Also, a guy just was busted in Hawaii for smuggling walrus ivory from Alaska to the Philippines and back into Hawaii to sell.

There have long been ivory substitutes, in both jewelry and instrument parts. Ivoroid is one type that's been in guitar parts for a long time. It's true that US Customs will confiscate any instrument brought in with real ivory parts--problem is inbound, not outbound from US (and foreign customs aren't always concerned about ivory importation). A common consideration for pro musicians who travel.

Inherited elephant ivory collection.
Believe US importation has been halted. And sales of existing pieces, already in country before halt, are regulated.

Sold jewelry, etc. This was awhile ago.
Kept some assorted etc.
Destruction would seem extremely wasteful & disrespectful to animal lives given. So long ago.
But glad ivory trade is regulated better, now.
Never was keen on it.

Believe art of ivory carving almost is lost.
Very few could master certain techniques, even decades ago.
Some were quite beautiful works.
The faux ivory is not same. To anyone with ivory knowledge.
But, it is kinder. And I much prefer live elephants to carved vanities in cases or on firearm grips.

image.jpeg I don't own any ivory jewellery and I will certainly never ever buy any. I do however own one antique ornament that is made of ivory and used to belong to my Grandmother and I would definitely not destroy it. Although the photo makes it look larger it is actually only a little over three inches long and although damaged the work that once went into it was amazing. The little doors even open an close!
That does not mean that I condone the killing of endangered species though, as I actually think that a ban worldwide on the sale of Ivory etc would be ideal.

I don't have any ivory jewelry but I was given some carved ivory deities for my altar when we were married. They are beautiful and I've kept them because of the sentiment attached to them, but I tend to go with either sandalwood or brass deities because I like how they look, and I have less guilt about seeing them every day,

Reactions: Thingofbeauty