Help me decide! Vintage jumbo maxi or reissue 228?

Apr 30, 2011
Hi tpfers! I have been looking at getting a big flap bag for a while and I found 2 choices.. I can't decide between a vintage jumbo maxi XL or the reissue 228! The jumbo maxi is in black lambskin with ghw and the 228 looks to be a metallic black calf.

I currently have a chevron m/l in lambskin, chevron jumbo in caviar and a 2.55 226 in python.

Is the 228 restructured? I'm worried that the flap will brunch up when it's filled.

Appreciate if anyone can chime in and help me, tia!

44ab9755549b923f47d9c9bd0f6caf6b.jpg

86c722a5dca5f360afb5b372454c988f.jpg

I prefer the Reissue for sure, but is it in good enough shape?
Thanks for the vote!

The reissue looks quite slouchy from the photo... is it supposed to be structured or is it soft? My 226 is quite soft and I had a base added to hold its shape, but my 226 is python skin so I'm not sure if that plays a part. I don't have any metallic calf bags so not sure how soft the leather will be...

The vintage bag is really special and these have become quite popular lately; they are hard to find in great condition. The 228 is probably lighter in weight-is that important to you? I agree with Swanky that the 228 looks like it's done some living....:smile: It appears to have structure loss-can you return the bag if you're not happy with it?

I would vote for the Reissue as well, but I agree with SwankyMama that it looks to be in rough shape... even if it's supposed to be a bit softer, it looks like it's lost a lot of its shape and the sides are all bent upwards. I would pass on this particular one and keep looking.

Reactions: OCMomof3
I would vote for the Reissue as well, but I agree with SwankyMama that it looks to be in rough shape... even if it's supposed to be a bit softer, it looks like it's lost a lot of its shape and the sides are all bent upwards. I would pass on this particular one and keep looking.
Thanks! Maybe I should just hold on to my $$ and wait for the better condition piece to appear [emoji4]

The vintage bag is really special and these have become quite popular lately; they are hard to find in great condition. The 228 is probably lighter in weight-is that important to you? I agree with Swanky that the 228 looks like it's done some living....:smile: It appears to have structure loss-can you return the bag if you're not happy with it?

I have a medium givenchy ant which weighs a ton after loading it with my things so a lighter bag will probably be preferred.. although I'm quite sure the vintage xl will not be as heavy as givenchy...?
Unfortunately no returns for this so I will need to decide whether I can live with it.. [emoji28]

Here's another photo I asked from the seller... tbh it reminds me of a puddle of leather cause it looks so slouchy..

c75782ae9a51c765813acaabe2d9220b.jpg

So now I have 3 choices:
1. Vintage cc jumbo maxi xl
2. Reissue 228
3. Hold on until a better condition bag comes along

It might be lighting but it also looks like the reissue might be browning or fading. I would wait-take a look at the recommended sellers and maybe post in the help me find thread....the Xlg Jumbo is preferable with puffy quilts but it can be a challenge to find. I'd also want a picture of it standing up so you can see how the bag will look. There is a very helpful vintage thread here with pics and info.

It might be lighting but it also looks like the reissue might be browning or fading. I would wait-take a look at the recommended sellers and maybe post in the help me find thread....the Xlg Jumbo is preferable with puffy quilts but it can be a challenge to find. I'd also want a picture of it standing up so you can see how the bag will look. There is a very helpful vintage thread here with pics and info.

I'm based in Singapore so it might be a challenge to find a seller with a reissue that size.. 227 and 226s are more common..

As for the XL Jumbo, all those that I've seen has deflated quilts... here's a picture from the seller... does the bag look a bit lopsided or is it just me?
a83259e6e6994f466bd6b30c0a9655c5.jpg

It does look off a bit. I just passed on a new flap with the same problem, it was off about 1/2 inch and I thought it was not closed properly etc but it was defective....this could be due to a storage issue. If this flap was not crooked, the bag is in pretty good shape...

I vote for the vintage jumbo XL. it's true it is very hard to find one in great condition. But, it makes the search that more rewarding. I read that on tPF that the vintage jumbos quilts look better due to how they're constructed. That's a nice size bag too, I just prefer the XL. I'll post the thread if I can find it again. Good luck in your decision.

It does look off a bit. I just passed on a new flap with the same problem, it was off about 1/2 inch and I thought it was not closed properly etc but it was defective....this could be due to a storage issue. If this flap was not crooked, the bag is in pretty good shape...
Yes I do think that it actually looks quite good, with no scuff at corners etc.. in other photos it doesn't look lopsided though 

Thanks for the link! I'll give this a pass as the scuff corners will bother me a lot... [emoji4]

So I guess I should go with a vintage xl maxi and not the reissue 228?

I vote for the vintage jumbo XL. it's true it is very hard to find one in great condition. But, it makes the search that more rewarding. I read that on tPF that the vintage jumbos quilts look better due to how they're constructed. That's a nice size bag too, I just prefer the XL. I'll post the thread if I can find it again. Good luck in your decision.
Yes I've been stalking the vintage chat! Love the quality of the vintages especially the shiny gold hardware. But i also like the reissue because it's more under the radar [emoji28]

I have a jumbo chevron so I don't think I'll be looking at another jumbo (for time being, fingers crossed)
Here's the thread that discusses the vintage jumbo quilts holding up better than the XL overtime. Maybe it'll help you decide between the XL or the reissue or a vintage jumbo instead.

http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/vintage-jumbo-quilting-938310-1.html#post30031498

Yes I've been stalking the vintage chat! Love the quality of the vintages especially the shiny gold hardware. But i also like the reissue because it's more under the radar [emoji28]

I have a jumbo chevron so I don't think I'll be looking at another jumbo (for time being, fingers crossed)

+1 with liking the reissue because it's under the radar!

I do love the look of the jumbo XL but I would wait for one in a bit better condition. The reissue does look a bit worse for wear but I would keep one like it on your radar. Start with the jumbo then look for a 228 of it still speaks to your heart!