Daddy's Girl Wants A Man Who Looks Like Her Father ?

Jan 23, 2006
When she wants more pocket money or permission to stay out late, she turns her feminine charms on her father rather than her mother.

Yet it seems that such preferences extend past childhood, with daddy's girls choosing husbands that look like their fathers. Research shows that women who get on well with their fathers tend to marry men with similar facial characteristics

But those who had difficult relationships with their fathers tend to choose men with very different looks.
Well-known daddy's girls whose husbands bear more than a passing resemblance to their fathers include television presenter Zoe Ball.
Her husband, the DJ Norman 'Fatboy Slim' Cook, has the eyes, ears and smile of her father, former children's TV presenter Johnny Ball. The same goes for celebrity chef Nigella Lawson, whose husband, advertising guru Charles Saatchi, and father, ex-Chancellor Nigel Lawson, have similar-shaped eyes and noses.

daddy120607_468x448.jpg

Like father: Zoe and Johnny Ball

partner120607_468x476.jpg

Like husband: Zoe with Norman Cook, who shares Johnny's features

Researcher Dr Lynda Boothroyd said: "These results show for certain that the quality of a daughter's relationship with her father has an impact on who she finds attractive.
"It shows our brains don't simply build prototypes of the ideal face based on those we see around us, rather we build them based on those to whom we have a strongly positive relationship.
"We can now say that daughters who have very positive childhood relationships with their fathers choose men with similar facial characteristics to their father."
Dr Boothroyd, a Durham University psychologist, asked a group of women about the type of men they found attractive.
The 49 young women were asked to rate a series of photos of men in terms of attractiveness.
They were also asked how close they were to their fathers, with questions including how involved their father had been in their upbringing and how much he had been away from home when they were growing up.
The researchers also analysed pictures of the women's fathers, making measurements of key facial characteristics such as size of nose, prominence of cheekbones and distance between eyes.
Analysis of the results revealed striking similarities between the faces of the men found attractive by the daddy's girls and the pictures of their fathers.
But those who did not have happy childhood memories of their fathers chose men who looked very different.
Previous studies have shown the phenomenon is not restricted to daddy's girls, with mummy's boys actively seeking out women who look like their mothers.

The phenomenon, known as sexual imprinting, may have evolved to help youngsters choose a compatible mate.
By modelling their own choice of mate on their parents' successful marriage, a daddy's girl or mummy's boy may increase their own chances of having a happy partnership.

In addition, they may believe that a man who looks like their father or a woman who looks like their mother is more likely to be a good parent. The same thinking could lead to those with bad childhood memories actively avoiding hooking up with a partner who reminds them of one of their parents, the journal Evolution and Human Behavior reported

Article by Fiona MCrae for the femail.

Oh, the oedipal complexes!... LOL... nah, The only thing my current SO has in common w/my Papa during my formative years is his moustache! And not even that anymore, cause my dad shaved his off years ago.... umm...and they're both kinda short....umm...and I think I should really stop looking for things they have in common. Like right now. Ulp. HAHAHAHAH!!!

Groooosssss :P. Just kidding, this is definitely true. Same goes for sons who marry copies of their mothers. I don't think it applies to me and my boyfriend, though, as my dad is not tall and Jewish.

Hmm, that's interesting. I never thought dh looked a lot like dad, but now that I think about it, they have a number of similar characteristics and their demeanor is very much the same.

I like guys, particularly my current SO, because they carry characteristics of the personalities that are similar to my Dad's. My Dad and I have always been really close! My Dad is a charming gentleman with a great sense of humor, and is very generous and hard working. SO embodies these same exact characteristics. They however look absolutely nothing at all alike! That would be creepy, lol. Dad is average height, very tan, dark hair, SO is very tall, very pale, and blonde.

My dad and I are very close and I definitly find this article to be true... I have found that the guys that Ive dating share features and personality traits like my dad. :heart: Not to the exact same match as my dad, that would be a little gross... but, you know what I mean.

BF is an extremely fair Eastern European and my Daddy is from the Caribbean. In spite of this, not only do they share physical similarities, but also they have similar personalities.

Stranger still, I have the exact same build as his mother and our personalities are also quite similar.

It's a running joke between us that I am marrying my father.