Please help! I need serious help with my car.

Baglady41

May 7, 2013
I inherited a cat many years ago. He's always been aggressive and hard to live with but his behavior has gotten more and more out of control. I just don't know what else to do.
When Teddy first came to live with me I was single and it was just me and him. He doesn't like people very much. I used to work a lot and wasn't home much and he seems to like that. I fed him and he had free reign of the place. I hardly ever had guests so he didn't have to be around people which he despised. I tried early on to socialize him and it always ended badly.
My mom would come over occasionally and he would scratch her for seemingly no reason. After a while I would just tell people to ignore him because I did not want him to attack. That didn't even seem to work.

It was like that for about 2 years, it wasn't that hard to make it work because it was just the two of us. I gave him his space and he seemed happy. Then I got married. Over the past 7 years things have gotten worse and worse. My husband had a very sweet cat who I was able to get Teddy to accept by separating them and introducing slowly and giving him lots and lots of treats. Fortunately his cat is very docile and would just stay away from Teddy all together. Now It's anything but peaceful. Teddy is always trying to attack him just for walking near him and sometimes it just seems like there is no reason at all. He is very territorial, even with me, he's always been that way, but it used to be just a few areas that he wanted for himself now it's most of the house. He hisses and growls if you go near his stuff. He absolutely hates people and has attacked almost everyone who has been to my home. In the past I would just chalk it up to whatever life he had before being rescued and I would just give in to his demands.

He destroys the house. Rips up the carpet. (Which we just had replaced two years ago.) He scratches EVERYTHING. The furniture, the walls, the moldings, you name it. He scratches people, including me if I try and stop him from doing whatever he wants. Just last night he attacked me for going near the chair in my room that he has deemed his.

I've been married now for years and my hopes that he would get used to this are slowing fading. I have brought him to the vet more times than I can count. An animal behaviorist and the best I can get is Xanax. I've tried Feliway, calming sprays, calming treats, giving him his own space. Cat condos, separate litter boxes. I'm at my wits end. I love him but I do not get any enjoyment from him. I'm tired of having to revolve my life around him and his demands.

If anyone has any advice, I mean anything, I would appreciate it. I really need to find a way to make this work.

I inherited a cat many years ago. He's always been aggressive and hard to live with but his behavior has gotten more and more out of control. I just don't know what else to do.
When Teddy first came to live with me I was single and it was just me and him. He doesn't like people very much. I used to work a lot and wasn't home much and he seems to like that. I fed him and he had free reign of the place. I hardly ever had guests so he didn't have to be around people which he despised. I tried early on to socialize him and it always ended badly.
My mom would come over occasionally and he would scratch her for seemingly no reason. After a while I would just tell people to ignore him because I did not want him to attack. That didn't even seem to work.

It was like that for about 2 years, it wasn't that hard to make it work because it was just the two of us. I gave him his space and he seemed happy. Then I got married. Over the past 7 years things have gotten worse and worse. My husband had a very sweet cat who I was able to get Teddy to accept by separating them and introducing slowly and giving him lots and lots of treats. Fortunately his cat is very docile and would just stay away from Teddy all together. Now It's anything but peaceful. Teddy is always trying to attack him just for walking near him and sometimes it just seems like there is no reason at all. He is very territorial, even with me, he's always been that way, but it used to be just a few areas that he wanted for himself now it's most of the house. He hisses and growls if you go near his stuff. He absolutely hates people and has attacked almost everyone who has been to my home. In the past I would just chalk it up to whatever life he had before being rescued and I would just give in to his demands.

He destroys the house. Rips up the carpet. (Which we just had replaced two years ago.) He scratches EVERYTHING. The furniture, the walls, the moldings, you name it. He scratches people, including me if I try and stop him from doing whatever he wants. Just last night he attacked me for going near the chair in my room that he has deemed his.

I've been married now for years and my hopes that he would get used to this are slowing fading. I have brought him to the vet more times than I can count. An animal behaviorist and the best I can get is Xanax. I've tried Feliway, calming sprays, calming treats, giving him his own space. Cat condos, separate litter boxes. I'm at my wits end. I love him but I do not get any enjoyment from him. I'm tired of having to revolve my life around him and his demands.

If anyone has any advice, I mean anything, I would appreciate it. I really need to find a way to make this work.
that's a hard one
he's not adoptable and you don't want to euthanize him
could he be someone's barn cat?
I'm sure you'll get some advice here
GL

Have you watched "My cat from hell" show? If you haven't, I encourage you to watch it. There are many cats in the show that have similar behavior as your cat. It's very interesting.

Anyway, I hope you find a solution to solve this problem. Good luck to you and your cat!!

Have you watched "My cat from hell" show? If you haven't, I encourage you to watch it. There are many cats in the show that have similar behavior as your cat. It's very interesting.

Anyway, I hope you find a solution to solve this problem. Good luck to you and your cat!!

Thanks so much! I have watched. The show gave me the idea to give him his own space with the cat condos. I also noticed that lots of cats on there want to be up high, so I got him lots of tall perches. I think I just need Jackson to come to my house.

that's a hard one
he's not adoptable and you don't want to euthanize him
could he be someone's barn cat?
I'm sure you'll get some advice here
GL

It is hard. I don't want to give home up. I always look and him and think he's hurting I just want to find out what he needs. Hopefully someone has been in similiar situation.

Thanks so much! I have watched. The show gave me the idea to give him his own space with the cat condos. I also noticed that lots of cats on there want to be up high, so I got him lots of tall perches. I think I just need Jackson to come to my house.
I know. That guy is a miracle worker

Can you put him in one room for a while by himself? A cat that attacked me or my guests would not have free run of the house. Maybe he will be happier in one room. Totally understand cats destroying the house. I have 2 cats that pee on everything. They are both in my home office so I can limit the damage. Cats are tough. I never had a really mean one. Hopefully someone else can give you some suggestions.

If you haven't already I would definitely clip his nails even if he has to go to the vet for it.

Can you put him in one room for a while by himself? A cat that attacked me or my guests would not have free run of the house. Maybe he will be happier in one room. Totally understand cats destroying the house. I have 2 cats that pee on everything. They are both in my home office so I can limit the damage. Cats are tough. I never had a really mean one. Hopefully someone else can give you some suggestions.

If you haven't already I would definitely clip his nails even if he has to go to the vet for it.

Just to second Cindi's suggestions. I wonder if Teddy is hyper-stimulated and needs to be taken right back to basics for a while. Keeping him in a quiet room for a while, before gradually reintroducing him to the rest of the house, maybe that will help?

To be honest he goes so crazy when he's locked up in one room. He wants out so badly. But maybe I should try it again. Thanks!

Just to second Cindi's suggestions. I wonder if Teddy is hyper-stimulated and needs to be taken right back to basics for a while. Keeping him in a quiet room for a while, before gradually reintroducing him to the rest of the house, maybe that will help?

I have thought about that. I've read up on re directed agression on a few occasions I thought it could be the birds outside making him crazy. My down stairs has basically floor to ceiling windows and my other cat loves watching them. The thing is he loves peace and quiet but hates being confined. I might give it a try again, I'm hoping it can't hurt. Thanks so much!

I have thought about that. I've read up on re directed agression on a few occasions I thought it could be the birds outside making him crazy. My down stairs has basically floor to ceiling windows and my other cat loves watching them. The thing is he loves peace and quiet but hates being confined. I might give it a try again, I'm hoping it can't hurt. Thanks so much!

I hope it helps - make sure he doesn't get bored in there! A cat tree by the window so he can bird watch, one of those snack ball thingies, plenty of catnip...oh, also try valerian toys. Valerian is very soothing.