Help & need your advice, my collections bags need to move to other country

I had fewer bags when I relocated but I fit all of them in the carry on suitcase. :biggrin:
If your husband would be able to help you out and fit a few bags I'd do this:

Fit as many smaller bags into bigger bags as you can.

Bags that don't hold other bags can be stuffed with clothing or jewelry wrapped in paper.

Place your best bags into the carry ons first. If you can fit all the others go in the normal suitcases.

I carried my favorite bags during the flight. A bigger one smaller bag.

I definitely would not ship them. Some of my shoes were ruined during shipping...just bent and scratched :sad:
HTH!

Thanks so much for sharing your story.
I did think of this. It is gonna be tricky though, as I have 2 toddlers..which probably means our suitcases will be filled with their stuffs.
But will definitely try to fit my favorite bags into our suitcases. Shipping will be my last resort.
Thanks again! :smile:

Thanks so much for sharing your story.
I did think of this. It is gonna be tricky though, as I have 2 toddlers..which probably means our suitcases will be filled with their stuffs.
But will definitely try to fit my favorite bags into our suitcases. Shipping will be my last resort.
Thanks again! :smile:

I think you are entitled to more carry ons with kids. My son was still a baby and we did get permission for another carry on (back pack) :smile:

Hi fellow handbag lovers,

Hope I am posting in a correct thread. If not, moderators please kindly move it to the correct one.

DH got relocated so we are moving overseas (from Australia to Asia). I have a number of premier designer bags - less than 10 - which I would like to take with me.
Any tips on how to move them? Shipping them seem very risky.
I tried to do a search here in the forum, as well as google, but can't seem to find anything. I am hoping someone in this forum will be able to share their experiences / tips.

Thanks in advance!
Since you have less than ten, maybe take what you can and then courier the rest to your new residence or DH's office via UPS/DHL/Fed Ex? This way you can at least box them yourself and insure them separately with signature. Australia-Asia rates shouldn't be too bad right?

I think you are entitled to more carry ons with kids. My son was still a baby and we did get permission for another carry on (back pack) :smile:

I don't realise that we are entitled for more carry ons. Have always tried to minimise carry ons. But might need to start utilising that privilige. Thanks again!

Since you have less than ten, maybe take what you can and then courier the rest to your new residence or DH's office via UPS/DHL/Fed Ex? This way you can at least box them yourself and insure them separately with signature. Australia-Asia rates shouldn't be too bad right?

The thing I concern about with sending via Fed Ex is that it might attract custom fees. But in the end it might worth paying custom fees for peace of mind.
Will find out how the custom fees work over there.
Thanks so much for the advice!

Because I am military I move around QUITE a bit! Not that I DONT trust the movers who pack up my house BUT I DONT trust them period. So I mail my babies! but I always make sure I send them registered because this is the MOST SAFEST SECURE way to mail items and ensure it 100% gets to your destination! It can be pricey YES but every registered box is hand delivered to the next person and is locked up when in transit. * I have worked postal* I also don't trust them to be in my airlines bags either smh! Just thought I would share incase anyone was moving or needed to move their purses around from point A to point B

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Okay...

I and my husband are both former (Canadian) military and never had as issue with the contracted military movers. I always did pack up, on my own, the things I cared about though before the movers came, and/or moved it myself if possible (ie jewelery, other expensive or sentimental items) I have also never had issue with private movers, but those were all same-day moves so my stuff was not out of my eyesight long.

On flights my nice bags are in my carryon only.

Okay...

I and my husband are both former (Canadian) military and never had as issue with the contracted military movers. I always did pack up, on my own, the things I cared about though before the movers came, and/or moved it myself if possible (ie jewelery, other expensive or sentimental items) I have also never had issue with private movers, but those were all same-day moves so my stuff was not out of my eyesight long.

On flights my nice bags are in my carryon only.

Yeah I must have bad luck because I have had stuff stolen so after that experience I am not going risk it. Our movers are always to the lowest bidder. If they were to pack our house in the states and we move overseas we might not see our stuff for 3 months at minimum so you don't knows its missing until then and the hassle to file a claim takes FOREVER.

My concern would be where to mail registered parcels.
And if family will arrive, as planned.
Especially overseas.
Usually delay, incorrect rank-level house assignment, some mistake or other.
So movers hold stuff, as sort out.
Which proves both helpful & frustrating.

Good luck to you.
Thanks for your service.:ok:

I haven’t found much info on relocating with your collection so I thought I’d ask...

What would you advise for packing/moving your bags and valuables if taking them all as carry on is not an option? Relocating a few hours away by car is one thing, but if you are moving abroad where shipping containers can take months to arrive, what do you do with your collection?

I know that we’ll have air shipment allowance for more urgent items for quicker shipment but that will be mostly for essentials. Shipping container will take so long, and obviously not climate controlled, risk or damage with all the boxes with big furniture... (scary to think about), but I feel I’ll just have to let go *breathe* and trust that everything will packed safely and it’ll be fine. For insurance reasons packers will pack and mark generally what’s in boxes but nothing is super specific.

I’d appreciate any advice or your experience if you’ve moved abroad. :confused1:

I will repost a summary of my experiences as have moved continents 4 times.
We were given 3 options - container, airfreight and extra baggage allowance on the relocation flight. I have moved my entire collection of H, C bags etc (> 30 bags) and the most valuable are hand carried by me, packed on relocation flight baggage and checked and the rest (majority) via air freight separately as one shipment arriving within 2 days and fully insured. I am happy to answer any other questions you might have. Best of luck!

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. I would love to get your thoughts if more questions arise. Thanks

I will repost a summary of my experiences as have moved continents 4 times.
We were given 3 options - container, airfreight and extra baggage allowance on the relocation flight. I have moved my entire collection of H, C bags etc (> 30 bags) and the most valuable are hand carried by me, packed on relocation flight baggage and checked and the rest (majority) via air freight separately as one shipment arriving within 2 days and fully insured. I am happy to answer any other questions you might have. Best of luck!