My next rehab project

BlondieToHell

Aug 24, 2015
Ok so it is more of a touchup than a rehab, but I found this glam tote for $12. It's otherwise clean but the metallic has rubbed off of the handles. I never was big into the signature bags, but this one is gold and huge and could come in handy if I need a bag to carry a bunch of stuff for some reason :biggrin: So I wanted to share with you all! I will post back with the results in case it can help anyone else dealing with faded metallic leather :smile: ImageUploadedByPurseForum1458929995.256045.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1458930016.055060.jpg

I am very excited to see your outcome! I have a metallic ergo bag in need of help. It too has the handles in the condition you have shown. It would be good to know I can restore it.

Ok ladies, I've applied two light coats so far and it is turning out amazing!!! I ended up having to mix another shade of gold with the one pictured and it matches perfectly! I will post some updated photos when I get home later. The multiple coats is because the dark bits are so dark and metallic paint goes on thin. But very pretty!

Ok ladies, I've applied two light coats so far and it is turning out amazing!!! I ended up having to mix another shade of gold with the one pictured and it matches perfectly! I will post some updated photos when I get home later. The multiple coats is because the dark bits are so dark and metallic paint goes on thin. But very pretty!
Hi! Just wondering how your rehab project is going? I would love to see photos of your progress.

Thanks for the update. It looks great! :tup:

Did you apply the paint straight from the bottle or did you mix it with anything?

I cleaned it first with acetone, let it dry, mixed the two gold paints together to make the right shade, then just applied it in thin coats with a paint brush letting it fully dry between each coat :smile:

I am definitely going to give this a try. My poor metallic ergo has been neglected and is in need of some TLC. Thanks for the application tips!

No problem! It is actually very relaxing and fun for me. I almost seek out trashed bags just to fix them :smile: When you decide to try it feel free to message me if you get cold feet or run into any problems! Just remember, if you "mess up", enough acetone will remove it lol. But you won't mess up.

Sorry for the late reply! I was locked out because I forgot to validate my new email and it took me a week to figure it out lol. Here you go! View attachment 3324025View attachment 3324029
Great job Blondie! I have seen fabric and metallic bags even dirtier than this one at Salvation Army and they ask at least $20 for them. I pass them up as I'm not brave enough to try a rehab ( and too frugal to gamble $20).