Need opinions on HW for old medium boy

Jubes

O.G.
Jun 15, 2011
Hi all, I'm hoping to get some opinions. I currently only have a black caviar square mini with GHW. I want to eventually purchase a black caviar jumbo with GHW since I've tried it on and love it :heart: ; but, before that, I need a boy!

I want black lambskin or calfskin, but am a bit torn on hardware choice. I have darker skin, so I like the way the shiny SHW looks against my coloring vs RWH. Sometimes I have a tendency to like something shiny for a minute, but if its too trendy or on the showier side, then I usually end up not liking it soon after. I don't want to make that mistake with a Chanel purchase.

So my question is, do you think the shiny SHW looks classic on the black boy or is it too gaudy/bright? I like the way it looks in these pics, but not sure if it'll look like that IRL and/or on me. Would love your opinions. Thanks so much in advance as I know there are tons of posts asking for opinions :thinking:

Attachments

• c44f056c6cfc184d5cfe36b6b099ed76.jpg
    c44f056c6cfc184d5cfe36b6b099ed76.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,161
  • chanel boy.jpg
    chanel boy.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,497
hmm interesting. thanks so much for your input! i'm going to see if i can get my hands on both to try on. this is what i was afraid of. most of the pics i see of black boys have RHW leading me to think it's the classic choice.

Thank you! So do you think it's because the boy is already a bit trendy and then with shiny SHW it's just too much? Whereas a flap is classic so SHW just freshens up a classic to make it a bit more modern?

Yes, RHW all the way. Leave the shiny hardware to bags with smaller chains.
I love love love the ruthenium hardware - i have it on my seasonal black flap bag.

But I wanted a Boy bag in black and old medium very badly - but the only hardware option for calfskin (chevron) available to me was shiny silver. I was a bit worried about the "shininess" but I can honestly say that after I received my bag (a few weeks ago) it was love at first sight!

I think ruthenium gives the Boy an edgy look, but after carrying one, I think the shiny silver gives the Boy bag a classic, but fresh and modern appeal and balances well with the black leather. Funnily enough, the last photo you posted (striped top, jeans and blush blazer) was the one that sold me on shiny hardware! I also think it may be easier to team the Boy with a more dressy outfit due to the shiny silver hardware. That's what I've found anyway.

Ultimately, you need to love your Boy bag given the $$$ you are spending - don't buy it if you don't love the leather/hardware combo, regardless of what we end up sayng on the forum. Just bear in mind you may need to be patient and wait a while for the "dream combo" - I'm so impatient and couldn't wait! I missed out last year and then there was a price increase in Australia:sad:

Good luck and please let us know what you decide!

Thank you! So do you think it's because the boy is already a bit trendy and then with shiny SHW it's just too much? Whereas a flap is classic so SHW just freshens up a classic to make it a bit more modern?

Yes! Shiny hardware on a classic flap is like a breath of fresh air and it also makes the bag look sleek, whereas ruthenium on a boy makes edgy and quite androgynous I think. It really just depends on what your style and preference is! Hope you'll get a combination that you love:lol: