Slimane Leaving Saint Laurent

A lot of people criticized Slimane for lack of attention to cultural diversity for frequently using rail thin, cigarette-behind-ear punky-chic caucasian models in his shows and editorials. Even the website has a very rocker feel. However culturally controversial, I believe he definitely brought a lot to elevate SLP's brand since appointed... The sleek marbled, minimalistic interior you see in the stores translate so well to their simple yet iconic bags. When you walk out of the store with your purchase, you definitely feel like you're bringing a piece of the store's aesthetic with you. This is what I'll miss of Slimane's work, should they decide to shift the brand aesthetic. Over the years, I personally think SLP's designs have gotten so much better and simpler/cleaner. Best of luck to his successor, hope it's enough to keep me with the brand.

Even though I don't think that Slimane brought anything new to the fashion world with his direction at Saint Laurent, he certainly made the brand a lot more desirable, especially for a younger audience who may have thought that YSL looked a bit mature under Stefano Pilati.

I like the purses a lot more under Slimane's direction. They look modern and clean.

As a lover of Slimane's work at Dior Homme, I was surprised that I wasn't able to find the clothes from his menswear collections at Saint Laurent very desirable. I mean, there was that odd piece here and there, but they were usually not pieces from the runway collections. The sneakers were nice for the most part, though.

Even though I don't think that Slimane brought anything new to the fashion world with his direction at Saint Laurent, he certainly made the brand a lot more desirable, especially for a younger audience who may have thought that YSL looked a bit mature under Stefano Pilati.

I like the purses a lot more under Slimane's direction. They look modern and clean.

As a lover of Slimane's work at Dior Homme, I was surprised that I wasn't able to find the clothes from his menswear collections at Saint Laurent very desirable. I mean, there was that odd piece here and there, but they were usually not pieces from the runway collections. The sneakers were nice for the most part, though.
Yes! I completely agree with your statement about the younger generation! I look at the old Cabas or the Muse, and the brushed gold with slouchy leather just makes it look way older than it actually is. IMO I was never a fan of the slouched look, and am really only drawn to the character of the slouch that a Balenciaga gets over time...

I was barely in high school when the Muse was at its peak, and didn't really pay much attention to YSL until their SDJ's hit the market. As a 22 y/o young professional, I'm totally drawn to how clean-minimalistic the brand has matured to.

A lot of people criticized Slimane for lack of attention to cultural diversity for frequently using rail thin, cigarette-behind-ear punky-chic caucasian models in his shows and editorials. Even the website has a very rocker feel. However culturally controversial, I believe he definitely brought a lot to elevate SLP's brand since appointed... The sleek marbled, minimalistic interior you see in the stores translate so well to their simple yet iconic bags. When you walk out of the store with your purchase, you definitely feel like you're bringing a piece of the store's aesthetic with you. This is what I'll miss of Slimane's work, should they decide to shift the brand aesthetic. Over the years, I personally think SLP's designs have gotten so much better and simpler/cleaner. Best of luck to his successor, hope it's enough to keep me with the brand.
I loved his direction and what he has done for the brand. It shows how fickle and temporary fashion is.. first Alber with Lanvin and now this.. Sad times

What's your reaction?
I was surprised when I heard the news, it feels like he just came onboard. However, this seems to be the theme now in fashion houses, constant change. Albeit it seems it was inevitable in this situation, being as though there were whispers regarding creative control in this relationship. Which led to Slimane not renewing his contract.

Im sad to see Slimane depart, he did a hell of alot for the brand. Im anxious to see who his successor will be and how the brand evolves.

I love his collections and how they were all inspired by different movements in music (90s grunge - AW13/SS16, 60s mod - AW14, 80s punk - AW15, 70s glam rock & Bowie - SS15, '00s festivals - SS16, plus all the boho/folk rock influences). Although it had been 'done before' (like Balmain '08-'11), it was never on that level. He genuinely is passionate about music and that brought an authenticity to the clothes that you cannot fake. No one could truly emulate him unless they have that sincere love like he does, and you cannot have that unless you grew up with music as your "refuge", as he put it. I definitely bought into it. His last collection was amazing, it felt like a somber tribute to Bowie after learning of his passing. It was sad to see knowing it was likely his last collection. Hedi is one of a kind. I did not buy YSL before Hedi and I sincerely doubt I will buy anything from YSL after the new creative director takes over.

I feel like Heidi didn't do any impact, but he made certain SL style that can be recognized! I appreciate his originality and modern look, and alos I love how he didnt emphasize on celebreties tbh! Although, I miss old YSL and especially their summer2012 (black cowboy rtw for women) - I loved it and I own three pieces! So I still want something more feminine and classic but with still modern touch. + Some Heidi's piece were but ugh...

Some interesting press on the subject and new successor: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-kering-moves-slimane-idUSKCN0WY5HG

I think the constant shakeups in the fashion world are the reason why many older designer houses can still stay relevant to the younger generations, besides just being "classic". Slimane created a sleek version of the YSL brand which encapsulated a new generation of shopper, or consumer. In the article, it was speculated that Anthony Vaccarello would follow Slimane as the creative director for YSL; he's notable for being the former creative director of Versus Versace, which was Versace's "younger" brand. My best guess is that YSL wants to keep this upward growth going by appealing to the younger clientele.

Personally I wasn't enamored with Slimane's designs, but definitely appreciated the overall aesthetic that he created for the brand.

Some interesting press on the subject and new successor: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-kering-moves-slimane-idUSKCN0WY5HG

I think the constant shakeups in the fashion world are the reason why many older designer houses can still stay relevant to the younger generations, besides just being "classic". Slimane created a sleek version of the YSL brand which encapsulated a new generation of shopper, or consumer. In the article, it was speculated that Anthony Vaccarello would follow Slimane as the creative director for YSL; he's notable for being the former creative director of Versus Versace, which was Versace's "younger" brand. My best guess is that YSL wants to keep this upward growth going by appealing to the younger clientele.

Personally I wasn't enamored with Slimane's designs, but definitely appreciated the overall aesthetic that he created for the brand.

Interesting. I'm not sure why they'd want to merely keep the designs in line with what Slimane did. I'm hoping he feels the freedom to branch out.

I think the turnover is similar to all publicly traded companies: increase profits, gain new customers, etc. That and many of the major houses are no longer run by the designer for whom the person the line is named. I think it must be tiring to have to constantly keep in memory of someone else's aesthetic.

i actually loved what Slimane did for the brand! i think in the last 2 years alone I bought 3 bags from SL as i felt they had a structured, classic but modern aesthetic. i think previously i used to think the bags were too mature for me but slimane introduced several modern classics to the brand.

i actually loved what Slimane did for the brand! i think in the last 2 years alone I bought 3 bags from SL as i felt they had a structured, classic but modern aesthetic. i think previously i used to think the bags were too mature for me but slimane introduced several modern classics to the brand.

I absolutely agree!

I bought three bags in two years, including the SDJ. Love what he did to the brand, a much younger, rockstar vibe to it.

I was never a fan of the muse, just couldn't get it at the time, maybe.

I will keep my precious bags and hope whatever Slimane is doing next it will have a great outcome of bags, no matter with wich label on it.

I love his collections and how they were all inspired by different movements in music (90s grunge - AW13/SS16, 60s mod - AW14, 80s punk - AW15, 70s glam rock & Bowie - SS15, '00s festivals - SS16, plus all the boho/folk rock influences). Although it had been 'done before' (like Balmain '08-'11), it was never on that level. He genuinely is passionate about music and that brought an authenticity to the clothes that you cannot fake. No one could truly emulate him unless they have that sincere love like he does, and you cannot have that unless you grew up with music as your "refuge", as he put it. I definitely bought into it. His last collection was amazing, it felt like a somber tribute to Bowie after learning of his passing. It was sad to see knowing it was likely his last collection. Hedi is one of a kind. I did not buy YSL before Hedi and I sincerely doubt I will buy anything from YSL after the new creative director takes over.

So agree about feeling the Bowie influence. Did you see the Black Star jacquard smoking, on the website? The rock aesthetic means a lot to me, and the acknowledgement of Bowie was so artistically appropriate :cry:

SL(P) turned YSL into Topshop.

Marketing and styling has taken over from design, nothing fresh about that, that's what the highstreet does every season. There are only so many things you can do with a tight black mini-skirt :sunnies

As for the Bowie references: :sleepy: Designers have been doing that non-stop since '73. So much cooler to be stealing ideas from where Bowie and Saint Laurent raided theirs: Dietrich; Dr. Caligari's somnambulist; Isherwood's characters from Goodbye Berlin; Brecht; Bauhaus student photos etc

Bye Simane, please take Alessandro Michele from Gucci when you go