how do you bathe a cat??

Persian or long haired cats absolutely need to be bathed. Their long and thick hair traps dust and dirt that only a good cleaning will remove.

My cat has the strongest phobia to water that I've ever encountered. I mean, he freaks out. I get professional groomer to bathe/cut his hair. The groomer actually places a soft cloth over the my cat's eyes to "calm him". He's a self professed cat whisperer. lol.

One time, Teddie really needed a bath, but he has the strength of 10 men when he doesn't want any part of something. So, we put him in the shower with the door closed.

My friend's cat is the same way.

He puts the cat in the closed dry shower area and sprinkles catnip from overhead. He lets her mellow for a half hour then he turns on the hand-held shower to bathe her.

She won't be blow-dried so he just puts some fans in the bathroom, opens the shower door, and runs out.

Persian or long haired cats absolutely need to be bathed. Their long and thick hair traps dust and dirt that only a good cleaning will remove.

My cat has the strongest phobia to water that I've ever encountered. I mean, he freaks out. I get professional groomer to bathe/cut his hair. The groomer actually places a soft cloth over the my cat's eyes to "calm him". He's a self professed cat whisperer. lol.

is her cat a long-hair? I assumed it wasn't, still good combing should be okay though and plenty of hairball remedy! if her cat is a long-hair, I would suggest having any kind of bath done professionally.

is her cat a long-hair? I assumed it wasn't, still good combing should be okay though and plenty of hairball remedy! if her cat is a long-hair, I would suggest having any kind of bath done professionally.

Yeah, she mentions that her cat is a Persian. They get everything stuck in their hair. It's crazy. When my kitty eats he kinda just smashes his flat face down on his food. He's forever getting food on his beard and hair. It's quite funny. But yes, he cleans himself a lot. I like to get him bathed because I don't want him to get sick from licking all the dust and dirt that collects in his long hair. :sad:

Yeah, she mentions that her cat is a Persian. They get everything stuck in their hair. It's crazy. When my kitty eats he kinda just smashes his flat face down on his food. He's forever getting food on his beard and hair. It's quite funny. But yes, he cleans himself a lot. I like to get him bathed because I don't want him to get sick from licking all the dust and dirt that collects in his long hair. :sad:

ooh. my bad. I gotta slow down when I read these posts!

and I assume you give your cat hairball prevention?

I'm pretty new to the whole cat thing. My 1 year old is my first cat. He's only hacked up a hairball twice so far. What sort of prevention can I give him?

your vet can give him a remedy (Cat Lax) or you can try sprinkling some catnip over his/her food. There are products at pet food stores or you can google "cat hairball remedies" and get something on the net.

I've had to hose off Mathilda twice because when she gets really upset she has explosive diarrheah. And I literally hosed her off---the first time, we were in the middle of moving and I just didn't have time to be gentle so I grabbed her by her scruff, thrust her into the shower, and used the hand-held shower head to wash her off. The second time I did the same thing in the kitchen sink with the dish sprayer. She didn't like it but when you hold them by the scruff they really can't move or fight very much. But otherwise I would never attempt to bathe a cat. Mathilda is mess-prone and once knocked a bottle of sesame oil off a shelf, managing to soak about half of her body with oil in the process. I admit after blotting her as best I could I just let it wear off over time.