Calling all NF GM & longchamp le pliage owners! Need advice re: sizes!

chiclawyer

O.G.
Aug 28, 2006
I posted this on the longchamp board too, but there doesn't seem to be much action there.

I'm going to be flying to france this summer and I'm hoping to get away with doing carry-on only (small rolling suitcase plus handbag). I already have a small carry-on rolling suitcase that fits in the overhead compartment. I was thinking of getting a custom longchamp nylon le pliage for my personal item/handbag (which I would stash under my seat). I'm wondering whether I should get the size 3 (large) or 4 (x-large). Does anyone here know which size is most comparable to an LV neverfull GM? Basically, I want the biggest bag that can fit under an airline seat (thus qualifying as a personal item rather than carry-on luggage). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I posted this on the longchamp board too, but there doesn't seem to be much action there.

I'm going to be flying to france this summer and I'm hoping to get away with doing carry-on only (small rolling suitcase plus handbag). I already have a small carry-on rolling suitcase that fits in the overhead compartment. I was thinking of getting a custom longchamp nylon le pliage for my personal item/handbag (which I would stash under my seat). I'm wondering whether I should get the size 3 (large) or 4 (x-large). Does anyone here know which size is most comparable to an LV neverfull GM? Basically, I want the biggest bag that can fit under an airline seat (thus qualifying as a personal item rather than carry-on luggage). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

What company are you flying with?

Just so you are aware, the standard to qualify as a "personal item" is not whether the bag fits under the seat in front of you. A personal item is described as a handbag, a computer bag, a briefcase, or a backpack... or something of similar proportions. If you travel Business Class internationally, you will have more flexibility, but often in Coach/Economy, flight attendants will force people carrying too much to check-in some of their luggage International flights are full these days, with not much room for extra stuff. I see plenty of abusers in Coach and in Business alike, but be prepared in case you get forced to check in your stuff. Here are the standards for United Airlines: The maximum dimensions for your personal item, such as a shoulder bag, backpack, laptop bag or other small item, are 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm). This is just an example of course.

What company are you flying with?

Just so you are aware, the standard to qualify as a "personal item" is not whether the bag fits under the seat in front of you. A personal item is described as a handbag, a computer bag, a briefcase, or a backpack... or something of similar proportions. If you travel Business Class internationally, you will have more flexibility, but often in Coach/Economy, flight attendants will force people carrying too much to check-in some of their luggage International flights are full these days, with not much room for extra stuff. I see plenty of abusers in Coach and in Business alike, but be prepared in case you get forced to check in your stuff. Here are the standards for United Airlines: The maximum dimensions for your personal item, such as a shoulder bag, backpack, laptop bag or other small item, are 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm). This is just an example of course.

Flying air france. AF website doesn't provide specific dimensions for the personal item (only that it must easily fit under the seat, and the total weight of all carry on items must not exceed 26 lb). I will prob get the large (rather than xl) le pliage to be on the safe side.

I see plenty of abusers in Coach and in Business alike, but be prepared in case you get forced to check in your stuff.

To follow up on Fab's statement, you will most likely know in advance if this will happen. Last time I flew through Heathrow the plane was absolutely packed, and they politely called out over the speakers requesting for people to voluntarily check in some of their carry-on.

Provided you line up to board early (i.e not sitting down waiting for the queue to shrink), you won't have any issues. Last time I boarded as one of the last passengers I had to put my suitcase underneath the seat - needless to say, there was no room for my feet. The seats are designed to take the maximum size of a carry-on suitcase allowed, but it's a pain to get it in/out.

I have an Le Pliage XL personalized that I often use for traveling, never had issues to take it into the cabin. It is a handbag after all, though large, but if you don't fill it to the rim you can always squeeze it to meet airline size restrictions. Hth

Are you referring to the large vs XL Le Pliage Tote or the Le Pliage travel bag as those are very different! The Le Pliage that you probably see the most often is the Tote which can be purchased with long handles and carried on the shoulder. The Le Pliage Travel bag is a larger version of that meant as an overnight bag that has short handles.

Large Tote http://us.longchamp.com/pliage/product/42034

Large Travel http://us.longchamp.com/pliage/product/41888