Chanel Costume Jewelry Quality

I know it's costume jewellery, however the amount of detail and work that goes into these pieces are just incredible. Whenever I buy a new Chanel piece to add to my collection, I always ask about its history, what atelier made the piece, how it was made, the amount of time that went into the creation etc.

I really encourage you all to do the same next time you go in store. It will give you a complete new outlook and appreciation for the costume jewellery pieces. For instance, the fake pearls are hand blown using glass, and as such their can be a lot of waste to obtain a perfectly round, clear and pearl of appropriate size for use in a Chanel jewellery. The resin jewellery is hand painted which takes a lot of precision, and the metal work is hand crafted. Any jewellery with strass (e.g. the new Chanel whistle) is especially expensive as the crystals have to be cut exactly to size and shape and are applied by hand.

I know this video doesn't exactly show the making of costume jewellery, however if you watch from 2:10, you will see resin being applied to a button by hand using a syringe. This would be similar to how some pieces of jewellery are made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Evjypl7Tfk

I also know for the jackets, Chanel only employ tailors/dressmakers who have had a minimum of 15 years experience making clothing.

I guess you are paying not only for the brand, but the time, effort and experience that goes into creating these beautiful, unique pieces. To be fair, a lot more work has probably gone into the creation of these beautiful Chanel pieces when compared to lower end jewellery that may be real gold or diamond. Over here in Australia we have Michael Hill and Prouds jewelers, which produce flimsy mass produced jewellery which is made of real gold and diamonds. I would rather have a more original, unique and limited Chanel piece when compared to that.

that is so interesting, I did not know that. I shall be sure to check that video out when I am home from work (yes being naughty on TPF at work.....).
Michael Hill & Prouds - yep - mass produced and often low quality workmanship in many of their items (to keep prices down I guess). I agree with all you said :smile:

I know it's costume jewellery, however the amount of detail and work that goes into these pieces are just incredible. Whenever I buy a new Chanel piece to add to my collection, I always ask about its history, what atelier made the piece, how it was made, the amount of time that went into the creation etc.

I really encourage you all to do the same next time you go in store. It will give you a complete new outlook and appreciation for the costume jewellery pieces. For instance, the fake pearls are hand blown using glass, and as such their can be a lot of waste to obtain a perfectly round, clear and pearl of appropriate size for use in a Chanel jewellery. The resin jewellery is hand painted which takes a lot of precision, and the metal work is hand crafted. Any jewellery with strass (e.g. the new Chanel whistle) is especially expensive as the crystals have to be cut exactly to size and shape and are applied by hand.

I know this video doesn't exactly show the making of costume jewellery, however if you watch from 2:10, you will see resin being applied to a button by hand using a syringe. This would be similar to how some pieces of jewellery are made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Evjypl7Tfk

I also know for the jackets, Chanel only employ tailors/dressmakers who have had a minimum of 15 years experience making clothing.

I guess you are paying not only for the brand, but the time, effort and experience that goes into creating these beautiful, unique pieces. To be fair, a lot more work has probably gone into the creation of these beautiful Chanel pieces when compared to lower end jewellery that may be real gold or diamond. Over here in Australia we have Michael Hill and Prouds jewelers, which produce flimsy mass produced jewellery which is made of real gold and diamonds. I would rather have a more original, unique and limited Chanel piece when compared to that.

Thank u for sharing! I agree especially for some very unique pieces, the design is absolutely gorgeous. I own only a few pieces of Chanel cj but all are head turners.

I would not be afraid to buy a unique piece from a recommended site but I am hesitant to buy anything with small stones. The quality of the jewelry doesn't seem to be that great and many people complain about the earrings and losing small stones. If you don't buy directly from the boutique you may not be able to get it serviced.

It seems much harder to me to authenticate jewelry, so if you buy online etc, I'd be very careful.

Reactions: edsltan
I would not be afraid to buy a unique piece from a recommended site but I am hesitant to buy anything with small stones. The quality of the jewelry doesn't seem to be that great and many people complain about the earrings and losing small stones. If you don't buy directly from the boutique you may not be able to get it serviced.

It seems much harder to me to authenticate jewelry, so if you buy online etc, I'd be very careful.

+1 - to be honest, I would not buy online. Authenticity is already an issue with bags; can't imagine how much harder it would be to authenticate jewelry.
I had an issue with one of the pearls falling off my earrings (before I even wore them!) but Chanel fixed it for me at no cost and the problem hasn't recurred since. I haven't had an issue with any of my other earrings, but I think I've been lucky as some people have had to get their gems re-glued several times.

+1 - to be honest, I would not buy online. Authenticity is already an issue with bags; can't imagine how much harder it would be to authenticate jewelry.
I had an issue with one of the pearls falling off my earrings (before I even wore them!) but Chanel fixed it for me at no cost and the problem hasn't recurred since. I haven't had an issue with any of my other earrings, but I think I've been lucky as some people have had to get their gems re-glued several times.

That is why I only suggest buying a unique item that should be easier to authenticate or from a recommended reseller.

I bought several earrings from the boutiques itself and so far.. so good.
Except that the hallmark at the back do fall out easily for the smaller sized earrings.
Both sides came off from my small Dubai crescent.

I'm curious on the long pearl necklaces too.. I've been eyeing for the perfect one.. but only concern on its maintenance.
I've got a short pearl necklace, but coz it doesn't sway around my shirt, hence, so far so good.

I've said this before, but I think the expensive long stand necklaces and gorgeous cuffs etc, are made in a different factory than some of the other less expensive things.

The really expensive necklaces, IMO, are made exquisitely and supposedly by Desrues.

Reactions: amateurjeweler
Thanks for sharing the info Jayne1 , this , I never knew.

I was looking at Mikimoto and seriously, I think I will be happier settling for the CC faux pearl necklaces.. Mikimoto is way to costly and yeah, theirs are genuine pearls, but I simply cant justify the price as I dun really know how to appreciate pearls =P

One more thing, when Chanel increase their prices, do their costume jewellery get affected too?

I've said this before, but I think the expensive long stand necklaces and gorgeous cuffs etc, are made in a different factory than some of the other less expensive things.

The really expensive necklaces, IMO, are made exquisitely and supposedly by Desrues.

This is very interesting. So in the long run, do you think the more expensive pieces are more worth it?

I took a peek at their page and it seems you are right. They show Chanel buttons as well as earrings and some necklaces that look like Chanel.

http://www.desrues-paris.com/en/buttons.html

It also says this, taken from the history page:

"The first collections of buttons for Mademoiselle Chanel were created in 1965, and Georges Desrues was soon to become her preferred supplier. In 1984, he transferred control of his business to Chanel in order to protect the vast know-how acquired over the years. Georges Desrues continued his work – his great passion – until his death in 1992.

The company’s development, driven by the remarkable success of Chanel, soon meant that the premises in the rue Amelot were too small, so Desrues moved its workshops to the North of Paris.""

This is very interesting. So in the long run, do you think the more expensive pieces are more worth it?

They are exquisitely made and the few pieces I have, I wear everywhere. That said, they are insanely overpriced for what they are.

I've had some for many years and I love them just as much as when I first purchased them and the ones I changed my mind about, I sold. But you will never get your full price back. On the secondary market, people expect a bargain.

They don't seem to fall apart either. They really last and I have such a thing for Chanel, I'm just so happy wearing the stuff.

Reactions: Miss T. and TChip5
I have tons (not kidding) of Chanel costume jewellery. You really pay for what you get - some of the expensive pieces are really very well made.

I would avoid faux pearls because they turn yellow after a while. But there are other pieces which are very pretty. Small bits and pieces do tend to fall off but then Chanel usually fixes it for me for free. Go for special designs. Also, some pieces are very difficult to imitate because the cost is just not worth it. So actually there are fewer fakes than handbags. Do your research and you cannot go wrong.