Should your age determine your handbag style?

Oh boy, I sure hope you're not suggesting that us "plump" girls ruin the look of a Hermes bag! I'm plus size (and not an avid makeup wearer at that -- gasp!) and I'd like to think that I rock my Birkins! International Women's Day was just yesterday, let's empower each other instead of putting each other down.

Oh of course not! My mum is plump too and carries herself well with her bags! I am just describing her as what I saw that day.. opps should have also added in "nothing to do with plump"! Many celebrities are plump too and are gorgeous! It is the dressing (really extremely sloppy) and mannerism that puts me off!

Hmmm, what do you think of dress sense rather than age? I have seen beautifully aged women with fantastic figure and dress sense, any bags will go well with them. However, just a few days ago on weekends, i went to hermes and saw this lady talking loudly and kind of rude intercepted me and my SA conversation. She was looking for a lindy and asked lots of questions saying how her sister and her bought many hermes bags and wanted a few lindys in different colours and lamenting how sad is it that there isn't any stock. No offense to my next statement. She looked and dressed like a fishmonger (no joke) carrying a longchamp(nothing wrong with the longchamp here). She is quite plump, not wearing any makeup. I don't mean to judge how another person dresses, but can't help but to feel that a hermes bags will be totally ruined with her kind of dressing as well as how she carries herself. I have seen very simple dressed women with just a T shirt and shorts carry herself very well with a birkin, but not that kind of sloppiness. I am not sure if you guys know what m saying. I am definitely for cheap outfits with expensive handbags, but not sloppy, crude, erm totally indifferent to one image or mannerism. A good branded bag can bring out the beauty of your cheap outfits, but not the case when the outfit and mannerism totally ruin your beautiful bag. If u can't keep up the image, don't ruin the bag.
Wow! Kind of harsh.
I dress down quite a bit. I used to model and I've worn makeup, had my hair styled and have had to wear uncomfortable clothes and shoes for years. I'm 5'10 and a size 6. I wear tee shirts with nice sweaters, denims torn at the knees and Cydwoq loafers or Stan Smith tennis shoes. I wear lipstick and that's it, unless I feel I need a little bronzer. That's me. My husband loves it because he knows I'm comfortable.
My cousin who still models professionally never wears makeup and always has her hair in a messy bun.
We both have a few nice bags and the style of the bag we each carry suits our styles for that day or creates a cool contrast.
I've seen people totally made up and in designer dresses shopping at Hermes or Goyard and think, "...Okay?" It's not me, but it's their style.
I'll tell you a quick story- A local philanthropic multi, multi, multi-billionaire's wife was going to a function with her husband, and needed shoes to wear with her dress. She went to Nordstrom, hoping to run in and out, get home and finish getting ready. She was in sweats, no makeup and her hair was in a ponytail. No one would help her for the longest time. She wasn't carrying the expensive handbag or overly dressed/made up. Finally, a SA helped her and she chose her shoes in less than 3 minutes. She handed him her credit card and he apologized like crazy, that she had to wait. Soon after, management had a meeting with sales staff about how any shopper could be anyone of status, and ALL customers are important whether they look like they're just coming in from the gym or the theater.
I believe other customers shouldn't make presumptions either. What if your "fishmonger" woman was sick or had an unwell family member and wanted to shop to take her mind off of...life?
"Do not judge, lest ye be judged."

Oh! By the way, as for the "plump" or "sloppy" people ruining the look of a handbag- post baby, with my extra pounds, I rocked my Hermes!!!!!

And to the posters with wonderful things to say about aging and style, "well said!":woohoo:

Wow! Kind of harsh.
I dress down quite a bit. I used to model and I've worn makeup, had my hair styled and have had to wear uncomfortable clothes and shoes for years. I'm 5'10 and a size 6. I wear tee shirts with nice sweaters, denims torn at the knees and Cydwoq loafers or Stan Smith tennis shoes. I wear lipstick and that's it, unless I feel I need a little bronzer. That's me. My husband loves it because he knows I'm comfortable.
My cousin who still models professionally never wears makeup and always has her hair in a messy bun.
We both have a few nice bags and the style of the bag we each carry suits our styles for that day or creates a cool contrast.
I've seen people totally made up and in designer dresses shopping at Hermes or Goyard and think, "...Okay?" It's not me, but it's their style.
I'll tell you a quick story- A local philanthropic multi, multi, multi-billionaire's wife was going to a function with her husband, and needed shoes to wear with her dress. She went to Nordstrom, hoping to run in and out, get home and finish getting ready. She was in sweats, no makeup and her hair was in a ponytail. No one would help her for the longest time. She wasn't carrying the expensive handbag or overly dressed/made up. Finally, a SA helped her and she chose her shoes in less than 3 minutes. She handed him her credit card and he apologized like crazy, that she had to wait. Soon after, management had a meeting with sales staff about how any shopper could be anyone of status, and ALL customers are important whether they look like they're just coming in from the gym or the theater.
I believe other customers shouldn't make presumptions either. What if your "fishmonger" woman was sick or had an unwell family member and wanted to shop to take her mind off of...life?

perhaps if she just said excused me while i am having a conversation with my sa, and also watch out for her mannerism instead of shouting and laughing loudly bragging about her bags while having to keep me waiting without a single regards that I am not finished with my SA, I wouldn't have care so much, or even noticed her. I had absolutely nothing to do while waiting for her, so i glanced through her from head to toe and imagining her wearing the hermes. My judgement might have been biased based on her mannerism. And i seriously doubt her case is what u mentioned.

What's that old saying? "Pretty is as pretty does." I've been shopping in Saks and had a rude woman just interrupt my time with the SA for 5 minutes. Of course, her time must have been MUCH more valuable than mine!

I actually feel sorry for people who are so self absorbed. The SA and I had a chuckle after miss pushy left.

As for old and plump....I've been described as "that sext lady" and I'm not only in a wheelchair most of the time but I'm way beyond the term "morbidly obese".

I think it's all in the attitude - how kind we are to others AND to ourselves!

Sent from my SM-G925V using PurseForum mobile app

What's that old saying? "Pretty is as pretty does." I've been shopping in Saks and had a rude woman just interrupt my time with the SA for 5 minutes. Of course, her time must have been MUCH more valuable than mine!

I actually feel sorry for people who are so self absorbed. The SA and I had a chuckle after miss pushy left.

As for old and plump....I've been described as "that sext lady" and I'm not only in a wheelchair most of the time but I'm way beyond the term "morbidly obese".

Hugs to you "Bobkat 1991"!
I love your strength and well stated quote!

I think personal style, but also proportion are the 2 most important things. Personal style is self explanatory, but sometimes when influenced by trends (like huge bags, micro bags), tend to ***** something people pay attention to in their wardrobe, but not always with their bags: proportion.

My ex sister-in-law is about 4'11" and used to carry these humongous totes that wore her. I understand utility, but that doesn't mean you have to lug a potato sack around, you know?

How big or small you can go bag-wise depends on how it looks on you, your likes and dislikes. There are no rules other than being complementary to your figure, your clothes, appropriate for the occasion AND most importantly because it makes you HAPPY.

I'm 5'5" and I like short handled shoulder bags so they draw attention up (I'm the only one I know who wears a Constance & C double flap double strapped lol).

My take on the micro trend? They should be tiny enough to be carried ON the lifesize version of the namesake bag. Otherwise, if the handle can only fit 3 fingers, stick to a mini.

Last edited:
I stumbled upon this thread a couple days back and had a feeling that this question embodies a couple of assumptions

of course the most politically correct answer is to say live and let live

but to be completely honest, when i am out and about, my eyes just picks out any and all hermes products on the streets in wildlife. and i have got to admit certain people wear them that much nicer

this is of course, not to say anything about others, whether it be their financial status, or where they are in life. actually, come to think of that, it has nothing to do with the h they are carrying, rather, it is the energy that they radiate.

perhaps if i may, i would suggest thinking about the energy level the bearer has when they are carrying their handbags?

lets face it, most of the time, i am flat - zero energy to radiate, and yes i admit i do carry h at those times to as a reminder of the nicer things in life. the people whom radiate energy are a sight to behold, with or without h.

I stumbled upon this thread a couple days back and had a feeling that this question embodies a couple of assumptions

of course the most politically correct answer is to say live and let live

but to be completely honest, when i am out and about, my eyes just picks out any and all hermes products on the streets in wildlife. and i have got to admit certain people wear them that much nicer

this is of course, not to say anything about others, whether it be their financial status, or where they are in life. actually, come to think of that, it has nothing to do with the h they are carrying, rather, it is the energy that they radiate.

perhaps if i may, i would suggest thinking about the energy level the bearer has when they are carrying their handbags?

lets face it, most of the time, i am flat - zero energy to radiate, and yes i admit i do carry h at those times to as a reminder of the nicer things in life. the people whom radiate energy are a sight to behold, with or without h.

I guess that's what i see too. That's why after imagining that rude lady wearing hermes i shook my head, the radar she emitted is just totally ruined. Perhaps there could be another person who wear and look like her carrying hermes on the street who gives out the right radar, she could end up a head turner.

I do not like putting limits on what to do or what to wear just because of age. Ageism is alive and rampant in all communities and cultures so it is up to us to do something about it and it starts here; in our own attitudes, hearts and minds.

I would like to say this again - No rules, no limits. Wear what makes you happy.

Personal style aside because it's all subjective. What I can be objective about is manners. Being well-mannered, polite, kind and considerate will send out all the right signals and that person will look fabulous nomatter what he or she wears.

"The energy someone puts out."
Very interesting concept. Maybe it's not so much the age of the wearer, though I do believe age plays a small part. Who doesn't know a woman or man at work or in private life who still has the same hairstyle from high school, or same (trendy) taste in clothing geared for people in their twenties, yet they are in their forties?
Sometimes certain fashion choices just don't work.
But, look at Halle Berry & Cindy Crawford, both 50 this year. Helen Mirren is in her 60's. Jane Fonda is in her 70's. All are out of the desired demographic for many designers, yet their energy is incredible. I could see the latest in casual clothes on them (well, maybe not Helen Mirren), and any designer bag hanging from their arm- because of their energy.

Oh boy, I sure hope you're not suggesting that us "plump" girls ruin the look of a Hermes bag! I'm plus size (and not an avid makeup wearer at that -- gasp!) and I'd like to think that I rock my Birkins! International Women's Day was just yesterday, let's empower each other instead of putting each other down.

Oh of course not! My mum is plump too and carries herself well with her bags! I am just describing her as what I saw that day.. opps should have also added in "nothing to do with plump"! Many celebrities are plump too and are gorgeous! It is the dressing (really extremely sloppy) and mannerism that puts me off!

Wow! Kind of harsh.

Oh! By the way, as for the "plump" or "sloppy" people ruining the look of a handbag- post baby, with my extra pounds, I rocked my Hermes!!!!!

And to the posters with wonderful things to say about aging and style, "well said!":woohoo:

perhaps if she just said excused me while i am having a conversation with my sa, and also watch out for her mannerism instead of shouting and laughing loudly bragging about her bags while having to keep me waiting without a single regards that I am not finished with my SA, I wouldn't have care so much, or even noticed her. I had absolutely nothing to do while waiting for her, so i glanced through her from head to toe and imagining her wearing the hermes. My judgement might have been biased based on her mannerism. And i seriously doubt her case is what u mentioned.

The thread asked about age appropriate bags; can we get back to that discussion rather than relating store encounters, and who "should/shouldn't" be carrying a specific brand?

Thanks.