What's your opinion on used bag pricing in the Chanel world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2013
Hi all!
I have recently bought a boy bag new from the boutique, and now realize that there is another boy bag that I want but missed. So, I started by doing ebay searches. I found the bag, but it is ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS above retail! What the heck?! I also notice that this bag, and many on ebay are new with tags. Now, I'm a noob to such a concept, but I can only guess that people are buying bags that they assume will be coveted in the future, tucking them away in their closet, and then selling them for more than current retail.
Is this what's happening? If so, what is your opinion on this? Have any of you bitten the bullet and bought a bag under these circumstances?
Any advice and/or insight would be greatly appreciated!

I have to admit I have bought a couple because I missed out on it and I really really wanted it. There are some people that buy them and sell them above the retail. I remember going into chanel and my SA told me that I may have to limit what I buy because my account may get flagged. I tend to buy multiple bags at a time in different color. At first I was a bit taken back but I understood their policy. It doesn't seem fair to some that truly wants to buy them for the sole purpose of enjoying them and not make a profit out of them. I would understand if they sell them because of buyer's remorse and can't return them.

I have to admit I have bought a couple because I missed out on it and I really really wanted it. There are some people that buy them and sell them above the retail. I remember going into chanel and my SA told me that I may have to limit what I buy because my account may get flagged. I tend to buy multiple bags at a time in different color. At first I was a bit taken back but I understood their policy. It doesn't seem fair to some that truly wants to buy them for the sole purpose of enjoying them and not make a profit out of them. I would understand if they sell them because of buyer's remorse and can't return them.
Now those posts I read on here awhile back about a person's account getting flagged make sense! Wow. I think I will just have a boy bag fund and wait patiently for another red boy to come around in the future.

An item is worth what someone will pay for it. So all is fair in commerce.

That being said, I buy pre-owned bags that I get authenticated by Enticiler to make sure I don't have a fake. Of the three I have, two were like new, one was never used. Yet, I paid at or slightly below what the bags retailed for when new.

I tend to "hunt" for my bags because I want them pristine but I want to pay as little as possible. (Why overpay if I don't have to) But, that being said, one reason I got good prices is the bags were classic flaps. And while one was a sought after color, none were rare.

Sometimes, however, the bag you want, IS rare. I am facing this dilemma on 3 of the 4 next Chanel bags I want as they are LE's that are sold out. So, if I have to have the bag AND I want it never used or pristine, I will have to pay a premium. Again, my willingness to be patient and hunt will hopefully minimize this premium. But, while I don't want to pay more, I don't feel it's unfair for someone to charge more. After all, I missed my opportunity to buy so it is what it is. I can buy that bag or choose something else.

If the demand for a product is high and it is very hard to find or is no longer available, the price will go up. This is true with Tanzanite gems, beanie babies, cabbage patch kids etc.

It's all making sense. I know there will be another red boy at some point in the future, and since my bag fund is currently depleted, this will just motivate me to save up for next season. Fingers crossed for another perfect le boy!

I feel it's crazy! I"m already apprehensive about purchasing used goods, but the prices are a huge detractor. Case and point. I REALLY want the Chanel Chevon in Jumbo with Black hardware. I'm desperate enough to have turned to consignment shops (only the reputable ones). Noticed the bag is on FP, but listed at almost $7,100. YIKES! Granted it's brand new, but I would still get it professionally authenticated which costs even more money. Then I keep thinking to myself that I won't have the receipt and what if I do need refurbishing 6 years down the line. I decided to bypass on the bag as I just can't justify the costs and the risks involved. Fingers crossed that they will bring the bag back in a year or two.

I get that the bag is LE and thus demands a higher price, but geeez, I just cant.

I feel it's crazy! I"m already apprehensive about purchasing used goods, but the prices are a huge detractor. Case and point. I REALLY want the Chanel Chevon in Jumbo with Black hardware. I'm desperate enough to have turned to consignment shops (only the reputable ones). Noticed the bag is on FP, but listed at almost $7,100. YIKES! Granted it's brand new, but I would still get it professionally authenticated which costs even more money. Then I keep thinking to myself that I won't have the receipt and what if I do need refurbishing 6 years down the line. I decided to bypass on the bag as I just can't justify the costs and the risks involved. Fingers crossed that they will bring the bag back in a year or two.

I get that the bag is LE and thus demands a higher price, but geeez, I just cant.

I want that same bag and am passing on it as well. I could have a pristine pre-owned jumbo and medium for close to that price.

Just one note on the refurbishing. I read on a few other threads that at least one of the shops that do work for Chanel also do work for regular customers. Someone can correct me but I think Leather Surgeons is one such company that people mentioned. Having read that, I felt much better about getting bags on the secondary market because if they need repair, refurbishing I can get a quality job done. 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.