Sell my Caviar Jumbo to fund a 16 y.o Swift Kelly 32? Advice pls.

missD

O.G.
May 29, 2006
So since I got pregnant I don't even remember the last time I pulled my Jumbo out to use. I pulled my Caviar M/L out for a wedding but I seriously do not remember the last time I used my Caviar Jumbo...even before I got pregnant! And now my baby is 6 months and I've found that a hands-free messenger style bags to be more useful because shoulder bags are always swinging down when I grab my baby from her car seat or when I try to wipe her etc.

Now the thing is, I'm the first owner of my Jumbo and it's like I'm giving it up for a 16 year old bag- this is the daunting part!l I have to wrap my head around it if I go thru with this. I've always loved the Kelly...so my questions are:

1/ Is Swift leather something to be very careful of? Or should I just wait it out for a more durable leather?

2/ Can Swift corners be easily spa'd if it starts to fade? Has anyone ever tried to restore black Swift corners themselves?

3/ Does anyone have a comparison pic of a Jumbo next to a Kelly 32? When I give up something, I sometimes wonder if I'm giving up or gaining storage capacity as well! Hehe.

4/ Final Verdict: I have a Black Caviar GHW Jumbo, Black Caviar SHW M/L flap and a Black Caviar GHW PST....in your opinion, sell the Jumbo for a Black Swift GHW Kelly?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

For sure I would sell Jumbo for a Kelly. But, swift would not be my choice. It is a very slouchy leather. Age is not important, condition is. All my Birkins are new, but I just got Kelly 32 in Ardeenes leather with is 22 years old and looks like a brand new.

Beautiful!

I don't mind the slouchy look in Kellys, I'm just worried that it's delicate.

The thing is, my goal is to get a new B in Togo or Epsom in Paris one day so that covers the non-slouchy department.

View attachment 3257699
This Kelly 32 is 22 years old.

Beautiful Kelly, marina :love:!
I love how you dressed her up and I totally adore your VCA between the finger ring :heart:.

missD, while your Jumbo is a classic, if you don't use it and if you think you won't regret selling it, I would let it go and get something you'll use.
I must admit, I prefer my smaller Chanels over my Jumbo.
Jumbo can get quite heavy with the chains. I have both 32 Kelly and Chanel Jumbo - yet I find the Kelly easier to wear and less heavy.

As for Swift leather, I think it's a beautiful leather but I prefer it in a smaller bag.
It will show signs of wear easier than Togo/Clemence for example.
Maybe something you want to keep in mind, especially with a little one ;).
If you do a search about Swift leather on the forum, I am sure you can find many information and experiences.

I say sell anything you don't use. I have the 11x6-reissue double flap, and it is fine, but I tried the bigger one 12x7, and it was enough heavier that it wasn't feasible for me.
The double flaps get heavy in jumbo and the cf's shoulder strap is quite heavy. I found shoulder bags quite cumbersome when my kids were as young as yours. Go for a Kelly. I purchased a swift in 28, even though I thought I wouldn't like swift for the longest time, when I saw it, I loved it. It is so lightweight. It is a 28 though, so I can understand why everyone else is saying it might be too squishy in a 32, and it wil show scratches more easily than Clemence or Togo.

As for the corners, since the 32 you are looking at is black, as long as they are not worn through, you can touch it up easily, or use the heck out of it, and leave it at the Hermes spa. Good luck!

So since I got pregnant I don't even remember the last time I pulled my Jumbo out to use. I pulled my Caviar M/L out for a wedding but I seriously do not remember the last time I used my Caviar Jumbo...even before I got pregnant! And now my baby is 6 months and I've found that a hands-free messenger style bags to be more useful because shoulder bags are always swinging down when I grab my baby from her car seat or when I try to wipe her etc.

Now the thing is, I'm the first owner of my Jumbo and it's like I'm giving it up for a 16 year old bag- this is the daunting part!l I have to wrap my head around it if I go thru with this. I've always loved the Kelly...so my questions are:

1/ Is Swift leather something to be very careful of? Or should I just wait it out for a more durable leather?

2/ Can Swift corners be easily spa'd if it starts to fade? Has anyone ever tried to restore black Swift corners themselves?

3/ Does anyone have a comparison pic of a Jumbo next to a Kelly 32? When I give up something, I sometimes wonder if I'm giving up or gaining storage capacity as well! Hehe.

4/ Final Verdict: I have a Black Caviar GHW Jumbo, Black Caviar SHW M/L flap and a Black Caviar GHW PST....in your opinion, sell the Jumbo for a Black Swift GHW Kelly?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
I would suggest sell the Chanel GST but keep all the CFs, cus you will never know when you are falling back in love with these classic flaps sooner than you think... Chanel Classic never goes out of style just like Hermes B / K. I still have and love my very first Chanle black lamb M/L with silver chain bought 17 years ago. I let go few seasonal Chanel bags but never the classics. I kept them all! 😊

I cannot comment on the skin as I only have a jige in swift, maybe Togo or clemence are durable choices for K32. Is this 16 year old Kelly comes with a shoulder strap? Please do keep in mind that opening and closing a Kelly request a little bit skill IMO (even more challenge without a strap), therefore Evelyne might be a better solution for totally handsfree bag. I just don't want you to get rid of your classic cfs and finding that Kelly is not a perfect baby bag and regret later... :hugs:

I will take pic to show difference of jumbo vs K32 😘

I would suggest sell the Chanel GST but keep all the CFs, cus you will never know when you are falling back in love with these classic flaps sooner than you think... Chanel Classic never goes out of style just like Hermes B / K. I still have and love my very first Chanle black lamb M/L with silver chain bought 17 years ago. I let go few seasonal Chanel bags but never the classics. I kept them all! 😊

I cannot comment on the skin as I only have a jige in swift, maybe Togo or clemence are durable choices for K32. Is this 16 year old Kelly comes with a shoulder strap? Please do keep in mind that opening and closing a Kelly request a little bit skill IMO (even more challenge without a strap), therefore Evelyne might be a better solution for totally handsfree bag. I just don't want you to get rid of your classic cfs and finding that Kelly is not a perfect baby bag and regret later... :hugs:

I will take pic to show difference of jumbo vs K32 😘

Thank you! Would love to see pictures! :smile: