Help! First Birkin: black PhD/ghw or Gris T ghw/PhD?

Babyb33

Jul 24, 2010
Hi there! I'm planning to get my first Hermes bag but I'm stuck between the different choices in colour! I have narrowed it to two colours: black and Gris t, and obviously two hardware choices! I can't decide between these options and they are all equally as stunning!

I have gold and silver jewellery and plan to use the bags but causally and for work.

I a 5"2 so i believe the 30cm size would suit me better. I like the Togo leather.

Which bag would you recommend? Help!

I'd pick Gris T my dear. The color is heavenly. As for hardware, it's a personal choice. You won't go wrong with either. I have a Gris T B Togo and I so love this bag. :hbeat:

I'd pick Gris T because like most people you probably already have a few black bags.
As for hardware colour, Gris T looks good with both but I like sliver/palladium for a more youthful look (at least in my mind. Lol)

I have both - Gris T. phw and Black phw both Togo.
While Gris T. is fabulous, I reach for my Black B. more often.
Especially if you want to use the bag for work too, I would pick Black phw (it won't show signs of dirt/wear that easy because it's a dark color). Can be classic, elegant but also casual at the same time. Ghw is more dressier.
Togo leather is an excellent choice. Will hold up very well. I have been caught in the rain more than once with some of my Togo bags without any problems. I just wiped it down gently and let it dry ;).

Another color that might could be interesting for you is Etain (if you like Etain that is...)
More interesting than Black IMO, and it can be elegant and casual too, depending on how you wear it.

Go for black since it is your first H and you want to use it as an everyday bag. I know 3 women with Gris-T Birkins (all 35s) and they only have one Birkin, and they only use them minimally, afraid they will get it dirty, and one already has some corner wear. The one with the corner wear is now desperately waiting for a black one from her SA.

So, if you want to be able to carry it without worries, go for black. Good luck!

Another color that might could be interesting for you is Etain (if you like Etain that is...)
More interesting than Black IMO, and it can be elegant and casual too, depending on how you wear it.

+1 for etain. I find grey and dark blue to be as versatile as black but more interesting looking.
OP, is there a particular reason why the choices are only black and Gris T?

You can't go wrong with either... Both GT and black are beautiful colors! If you want to use it extensively without worrying about color transfer or getting it dirty then black may be a better option. I know for myself I chose etain instead of GT because I have small kids and I don't want to worry too much about B getting dirty. It may be my only B for life so I chose to pick a color that I can use forever and often. Can't wait to see what you decide [emoji173]️[emoji173]️

What color bags do you most carry now- dark or light colors?
For your first Birkin, I would choose the color that would see the most use.
If you normally gravitate toward carrying lighter colored bags, choose the Gris T, if you carry mostly dark bags, choose black.
Hardware is really just personal preference- I slightly prefer gold with black, but phw is nice as well. However, with Gris T, I have a definite preference for PHW.